Thread: Bad Optical Ads

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Bad Optical Ads

Have you seen the new OGI ad? With the girl in the horrible jade lipstick and green dress and marbled green cat-eye? You'd think that as much as they spent getting that look, they'd at least get the glasses adjusted so they're level.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not seen that particular one, however, I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT when I see optical magazines that put frames on patients digitally. I mean, can they not physically put frames on people anymore? They look absolutely RIDICULOUS and it drives me insane! :angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My favorite are the ads from frame companies that don't show frames at all. I remember a JayZ Rocawear ad that ran for months in the trade rags and never showed a frame. Needless to say I wasn't rushing to make an appointment with a rep.

And yes the crooked frames, frames with no lenses, photoshopped frames all drive me nuts too.

A better question is this. Have any of you ever bought a new frame line because you saw an ad in a magazine? That is not how I find new product.
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quite frankly, I love the Donald Trump ads. I love the way the gold frames go with the comb over. Grrrrrrr.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Either you like or you dont............................

I would object a lot more to the heavy art work done to the skin of this particular model.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's wrong with that? I dress like this every day when I come to work :bbg: Just kidding

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate the ads but even more so the POP that comes with naked or half naked people wearing frames. Like we want to display that in our family oriented practice
    goodsearch.com vosh

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't stand it when the demo lenses have horrible reflections. Go ahead and pop them out, I say.

I've come across a few seriously riske adds over the years. The few that come to mind: I had a Guess display stand sent to me with two people in some kind of heavy bliss, neither of them wearing glasses. I do think they had clothes. She did, anyway. Pretty much the whole Revolution catalog had to be censored before i could bring it out to show a patient a frame. The best (worst?) one was a Calvin Klein add in a trade magazine, that I saw several times. It was a woman (and I really don't even remember if she was wearing frames) in a white shirt that was kind of shirred across the front. Well, the shirt was wet and there were her nipples, for everyone to see. Ugh. We had a good laugh over that one.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm bothered when I see ads in which the frame being shown doesn't fit the model. Sometimes they're simply too small or too large, fit too high, have retro tilt, or, as others mentioned, are crooked.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I love that OGI ad. Absolutely love it. Yes, she looks ridiculous. She's not modeling a conservative, realistic line; she's presenting the image of the frame with her entire ensemble. Love it.

Of course, I live in a major advertising center and my girlfriend works for a big ad company, so I have a different perspective.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's that vintage modern look. I love her vintage hair style and retro frames but everything else is more of a modern look.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no problem with the ridiculous look in that ad... I do with the Photoshopped frames --- and not even PHOTOSHOPPED ON STRAIGHT.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tdj View Post
    I have no problem with the ridiculous look in that ad... I do with the Photoshopped frames --- and not even PHOTOSHOPPED ON STRAIGHT.
    That's my biggest problem with the magazines anymore...they're all photoshopped and they look HORRIBLE on most "models". Some of those kids frames are atrocious!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What gets me is the TRADE mags that have ill fitting spectacles on the models!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Actually, it's interesting since with Photoshop, that might not even be a real person.

Also, I think her glasses are straight, it's her face that's slightly tilted (or at least her nose is crooked).
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Actually, it's interesting since with Photoshop, that might not even be a real person.

Also, I think her glasses are straight, it's her face that's slightly tilted (or at least her nose is crooked).
    The photoshopped frame front picture is straight on a plane, but she's not holding her head straight. Also, if you look at the bridge, there's no way that frame would actually sit in that position.

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe one ear is slightly higher than the other :P

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And there's more space under her right eye than there is under her left eye.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK I got bored so I decided to draw some lines on this picture. Just used a line tool in Microsoft Paint, I don't have any fancy programs on this machine yet (In a former life I used to do photo manipulation)

I drew outer canthus to outer canthus, earlobe to earlobe, bottom of earring to bottom of earring. All have a similar downward tilt, indicating the model's head is slightly tilted to her left....

but the frame sits on a perfectly straight plane. :hammer:And they pay these people the big bucks to stick that frame on there, too. *sigh*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lines.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	7626

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And the frame, of course, is also in sharper focus than the rest of the ad, which is usually the biggest amateur photoshop tell.

Then there's the Hipster Disney Princesses: just add glasses.

Name:	Hipster Belle.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	7627
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a shame, it really does look to be a gorgeous frame.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love the ad! The colors and the concept.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tdj View Post
    OK I got bored so I decided to draw some lines on this picture. Just used a line tool in Microsoft Paint, I don't have any fancy programs on this machine yet (In a former life I used to do photo manipulation)

I drew outer canthus to outer canthus, earlobe to earlobe, bottom of earring to bottom of earring. All have a similar downward tilt, indicating the model's head is slightly tilted to her left....

but the frame sits on a perfectly straight plane. :hammer:And they pay these people the big bucks to stick that frame on there, too. *sigh*

Name:	lines.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	7626
    Well now I know what I am going to tell patients when they say, "My ears are uneven" I'm going to say, "No. It's your neck, your neck is uneven" :bbg:

Thread Information