View Poll Results: Which Is The Better Overall Company?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Essilor

23 46.94%
  • Hoya

26 53.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! : Essilor vs. Hoya (Company Comparison)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Help! : Essilor vs. Hoya (Company Comparison)

Greetings,

I am the manager of an office in Austin, Tx. We are in a 'buying-group' that has used Essilor Laboratories for the better part of 15 years. Our agreement is coming to an end in a few months and the Board is going to take a vote on whether to continue our arrangement with Essilor or go with Hoya. Obviously money is playing a part of this but I am not willing to sacrifice quality and the customer service I have received for this many years for a paltry few dollars.

So I have come to you all to hear about your experience if you have used Hoya. If you have used both I would love to hear a comparison. I will relay the information gathered here to the Board. Thank you so much for your time.

How is there turnaround time on average (include all jobs)?

How is there customer service?

How is the quality of their progressive lenses (from Summit to ID)?

Any other thoughts?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is like a Yankees versus Red Sox argument. I have had good and bad experiences with both. Generally, it comes down to the individual lab you are using. Some Hoya customers swear by their product and have tremendous loyalty (like the Red Sox fans). Essilor fans are more plentiful but sometimes less knowledgable (like the Yankee fans).

My advice is to get quotes from both. If Essior is comparable or lower and you are happy then stay put. The other option is to have an arrangement with both labs. Assuming your groups volume is significant enough, you should be able to get decent pricing at bo'th labs and then let your members determine which they want to use.

And I hope I did not offend any Yankee or Red Sox fans. I am a national league guy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stan...

...Cardinals fan here and I definitely understand where you are coming from. I have received a lot of support from Essilor at my particular office. My reps provide great continuing education for my staff and help with things that are not necessarily in their job description. I have been very happy with Essilor but I believe price wise that they can not compete with Hoya. So I am trying to see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I do not believe there will be a choice of "both" for whatever reason. It is all or nothing.

How is Hoya's turnaround time and customer service?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to the sales reps. Whatever company they work for is the best. Contiuing education from either is a slip for having sat through a sales pitch. Maybe this meets the definition of education.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would have to go with Hoya because I really don't like E. Why don't you also check the independents?? Most can give you the same product at the same price with better service and better quality.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The practice I'm in is part of a buying group that has agreements with both.

To answer your questions:

1: Turnaround time will vary by which Hoya or ELOA lab you choose.

2: Customer service will vary according to who your rep is for each company. There were huge Hoya Dallas issues last year and we quit using them, because the rep didn't care. Part of how Hoya earned us back was by showing up for a visit, taking a problem ELOA job off my desk and hand-carrying it back to Hoya. New rep, new service, and I'm doing a lot more Hoya now. I'm stuck in a contract with ELOA, but hopefully that will not be renewed.

3: PAL quality--Hoya wins, but honestly, E has good lenses too.

I would choose based on which company will support your business better. Who will not directly compete with you by taking their product directly to the consumer? Think about the future.

3:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The is no lens that I can get from Essilor that I can't get from another company for a lower cost and usually better quality.

I have found Hoya's progressives to be superior accross the board, especially in the Free Form catagory.

Also, in going with Hoya, they can and will still supply you with Essilor lenses if need be.

Lastly, as Jacqui said, check out the independent labs. Most will offer you a wider selection of products for equal or better pricing and usually better service.

My final vote: Hoya.

Although, your poll asks which is a better company, which really is a different question than which has better labs and products.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate everybody's response thus far. I am surprised to see Hoya winning the poll. But I guess we all have a different reference point which is why I was reaching out in the first place.

I know and understand that service and turnaround time varies by laboratory, but I wanted to hear YOUR experience. How is YOUR lab doing on turn around times and customer service?

(Java we would be using Hoya-Dallas. So they have been excellent as of late?)

I can't go with an Independent. It is not being discussed by the powers that be.

Thanks again for the help...please keep the experiences coming.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    go with Hoya - you will never look back...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you ask me, Zeiss outshines both of them, as do their labs. Do yourself a favor and "investigate" Zeiss' "OD Excellence" program. You just might find that it offers superior benefits that this "buying group" can't even compete with.

Hoya Dallas used to be Benedict Optical and it was really great. Then Hoya took over and we saw a very severe decline in quality. We had a remote tracer and the percentage of jobs that had to be returned to be redone was unacceptable. Went from there to Hoya Cleveland, same thing. Then to Hoya Chicago, same thing. Then Benedict's Daughter opened up Legends 4.0 lab in Lewisville, Tx and it was great until they sold out to VSP.

Now, we're at Zeiss Kentucky and it is a great lab. Very customer service oriented and I am personally happy with them (being the perfectionist that I am). Excellent work and very good product (Hoya and Essilor don't even come close to the "Individual").

As I said, do yourself a favor and investigate what the OD Excellence program from Zeiss can offer your practice.
    Last edited by SailorEd; 03-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Hoya experience mirrors yours, as far as thickness and layout, and I have a tracer. I like the desin of the Hoya lenses, though. I especially like the IQST28 bifocal.

Zeiss KY is good, but I've also had problems in the past with thickness. The 1.74s, made in Germany, are no problem.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Hoya Dallas for glass and have a LOT of issues with lenses coming in the wrong size

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tdj View Post
    We use Hoya Dallas for glass and have a LOT of issues with lenses coming in the wrong size
    We use them too for over 5 years and have never had this issue. We love them and recomend them often especially to those addicted or enslaved to E-

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    My Hoya experience mirrors yours, as far as thickness and layout, and I have a tracer.

Zeiss KY is good, but I've also had problems in the past with thickness. The 1.74s, made in Germany, are no problem.

B

How long does it take to get the Zeiss 1.74 from Germany?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya Dallas has been excellent for us since we started using them again, maybe since December? Service, quality, all good. Every lab has hiccups, but when we call about ours, they are dealt with promptly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jczelust View Post
    Greetings,

I am the manager of an office in Austin, Tx. We are in a 'buying-group' that has used Essilor Laboratories for the better part of 15 years. Our agreement is coming to an end in a few months and the Board is going to take a vote on whether to continue our arrangement with Essilor or go with Hoya. Obviously money is playing a part of this but I am not willing to sacrifice quality and the customer service I have received for this many years for a paltry few dollars.
    It's sad when a financial arrangement limits what you are able to dispense to a patient. Both companies have lenses which are excellent, and many patients adapt well to one or the other, but not both.

Why can't the "Board" decide to make an arrangement with both?

Poor patients ... we keep limiting their options and expecting them to simply struggle through.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Hoya Dallas has been excellent for us since we started using them again, maybe since December? Service, quality, all good. Every lab has hiccups, but when we call about ours, they are dealt with promptly.
    Just today I got a pair in from them -- too big AND crooked segs. I don't mean a little crooked. I mean a full 3 mm drop from one to the other and a good ten degrees off from being straight.

I really don't know what their problem with us is, but every other pair of lenses I get from them -- JUST them -- has an issue. I really don't understand. Thank God we don't do much glass (all we use them for)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper A thread with an unfair question, will also get unfair answers.......................

Large corporation owned optical laboratories are in a totally unfair position when you want to compare them against each other or even against privately owned ones.

These days they all or at least most of them are equipped with the latest technology machinery and equipment and should supply only top notch work on any lens material they touch, finish and produce.

If you like or hate the owner company or corporation has nothing to do with the final quality touch the lab is supplying to their customers. You might just maybe have a tougher opinion opinion if you personally dislike the owning corporation, or even if you're in love with them.

It all has to do with motivating the employees properly and continuously week in and week out. It is the local management that has to make the employees be fully at their job and dreaming of who is going to win tomorrows "Power ball" lottery.

If segments on bifocals are delivered way off axis there are already 3 or 4 people involved in that stage of the work. From the person that operates the bevel edgers to the ones that insert the lenses into the frames and the final check on the lensometers. All of them have seen the crooked segment lines and still passed the job on to the next stage.

If you are old enough you remember the saying "do not buy a car made on a Friday or a Monday", because the workers were not in a quality working mood.

When an owner is actively working in an optical lab he sees the ups or downs in his production and can immediately take care of it, while corporation owned management might suffer under lack of motivation it should pass on to their employees.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Part of how Hoya earned us back was by showing up for a visit, taking a problem ELOA job off my desk and hand-carrying it back to Hoya. New rep, new service, and I'm doing a lot more Hoya now.
    Hmmm... I have the same rep and I haven't seen her once this year
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jczelust View Post
    Greetings,

So I have come to you all to hear about your experience if you have used Hoya. If you have used both I would love to hear a comparison. I will relay the information gathered here to the Board. Thank you so much for your time.

How is there turnaround time on average (include all jobs)?

How is there customer service?

How is the quality of their progressive lenses (from Summit to ID)?

Any other thoughts?
    Turn around time: Equal

Customer Service: Essilor tends to have better trained customer service reps (the first person to answer the phone)

Quality of Progressives: Hoya's designs win hands down from the unbranded to the premium branded. Just don't expect the prettiest looking "finished" product.

Other Thoughts:
    1) Zeiss has better product, but the sales reps are only equivalent or slightly better than an Essilor rep (Read: "You will know the latest company line, guaranteed"). Short of Darryl, if you don't understand something technical, don't expect to find the answer inside of a Zeiss lab.

2) Zeiss has some amazing entry programs that your board may find enticing. However, no matter who you choose, you need to monitor your numbers, such as warranty remakes, to see if you are actually improving the business or if it just feels better.

3) Get out of the buying group. Buying groups tie your hands. If you work for a place large enough for a board of directors, you are doing enough business to negotiate heavily with the labs yourself. Essilor will be eager to keep you, and Hoya will want to woo you, but neither one can try if you are tied to the buying group.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tntborden View Post
    Hmmm... I have the same rep and I haven't seen her once this year
    This actually happened just when she was coming on, and her regional boss was with her. He took the job off my desk. We do see her about once a month now and she is keeping the promise he made.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A better overall company would be Essilor. They bring in big dollars for their shareholders.

Now seeing is thats not what you meant. I think it really depends on the individual lab not the company. I think Hoya has great progressives but their brand trivex and their hi index lenses turn yellow after a couple of years of wearing. I can't say I've had that issue with Essilor. I'm in Florida and Hoya Largo has great customer service but there finish work was sloppy to the point that I had to drop them. I switched to an independant lab (ICare in Clearwater) for our uncut work and they are great but they also lack in finishing work. Crooked segs mainly. Icare kicked everyones butt when it came to price so if that is a big motivator look them up.

For the jobs that we choose to have someone else edge we send to Milroy(Essilor) and they do a good job. I rarley reject stuff from them but their price is higher. Get what you pay for I guess, imagine that! On the flip side of that, I know of opticians in Florida that tell me Milroy loses jobs/sends them God knows where all the time but I have never had one go missing.

My other observation in Florida atleast, was Hoya was the most expensive lab I priced out. Even with their max discount for volume most any lab could beat them if I was shopping for price alone.

I guess my point is... It all depends on the circumstances YOU are dealing with.
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One point to consider: which company is going to take your money,then compete directly against you to shut you out of business?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    One point to consider: which company is going to take your money,then compete directly against you to shut you out of business?

Which is reason #1 why I won't even consider ever doing business with one of the two choices.....

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    How long does it take to get the Zeiss 1.74 from Germany?
    Mine took five weeks. I was promised four, but one of them was Christmas, so it's all good.

Crispest vision I have ever experienced (once I adjusted the frame wrap).
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information