Thread: Patient Follow Up's

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patient Follow Up's

We started the practice of calling patients, and following up to see how their new glasses are doing. I generally call about two weeks after they have recieved the glasses. What are some opinions about this? Does any else do this?
    It'll happen when you least expect it!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We do it.

Good responses 99% of the time, and we want to fix the other 1% as soon as we can.

Good for you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ya know, i'm not so sure this is all its cracked up to be. Are we calling to ensure they are pleased, or "not displeased"?

I think its more of the latter, and only goes to supprt my premise that even ecps have a fundamental negative opinion of eyewear.

Of course, i could also argue the opposite viewpoint...which I'm sure drk will...

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A dear friend of mine is the training director for a local car dealership with several locations. He has been mentoring a new salesman at one location and had this experience. The dealership sends computer generated thank-you cards to every customer. So the more seasoned salespeople told him not to bother sending his own. "The computer does it for us," they said. They also said that no one buys cars in December, so why bother to try.

The new salesman hand wrote his thank-yous and followed up with a phone calls. He had referral sales through December and into January and has remained the top sales person at that branch.

Write the thank-yous and make the calls, not looking for problems, but just to keep in touch. You NEVER know what the result will be, but I'm willing to bet that the good it does will far out-weigh the bad.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It can be both, Barry. Fortunately, most are happy and appreciate the concern. We don't use the opportunity to offer second pair discounts, or anything like that. We just care if they're doing well.

And of course, if we hear about a problem, then we address it.

I think your concern is that we may be sounding "tentative" or "worried"?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    It can be both, Barry. Fortunately, most are happy and appreciate the concern. We don't use the opportunity to offer second pair discounts, or anything like that. We just care if they're doing well.

And of course, if we hear about a problem, then we address it.

I think your concern is that we may be sounding "tentative" or "worried"?
    Yes,

Or it may just be that I'm lazy...

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused We used to send thank you notes and a 90 day follow up letter. Should We again?

I was just thinking about this topic. We used to have a full-time person sending recalls, thank yous and 90 day letters. When she left we stopped doing it and went to emails only.
    We now have 1,500 email addresses for our clients, but we are still missing many more opportunities. Our clients are seasonal and we had many letters returned.

From thinking about this thread, we are going to start sending an email first and if no email- we will use snail mail- 60 days after purchase to ensure they are satisfied and see how it goes.
    The hardest part is getting the system to send the letter 60 days after pick up; I will work on this as if it is not an automatic system it will get put aside and not be done properly. Another project.

Craig

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Saw this service advertised in ECP mag a while back, might be useful for those that don't have the time:

http://callssix.squarespace.com/telecare
    Last edited by MichaelP; 03-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never used the service, but I know the people behind it and they are top notch!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    We do it.

Good responses 99% of the time, and we want to fix the other 1% as soon as we can.

Good for you.
    Obviously you have all of your ducks in order.

Before I retired I developed software which would generate telephone call lists and track patient satisfaction. Many businesses did not bother using this feature. They were typically second or third rate practices and I suspect that they preferred to let sleeping dogs lie.

I have always believed that a competent practitioner should know if a patient is satisfied when they leave the office - if not, something is amiss.

Now, a personal request. Please do not call me on the phone. I have enough interruptions to my leisure as it is between telemarketers and solicitors and Democrat Party fund raisers. Leave me in peace!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Obviously you have all of your ducks in order.

Before I retired I developed software which would generate telephone call lists and track patient satisfaction. Many businesses did not bother using this feature. They were typically second or third rate practices and I suspect that they preferred to let sleeping dogs lie.

I have always believed that a competent practitioner should know if a patient is satisfied when they leave the office - if not, something is amiss.

Now, a personal request. Please do not call me on the phone. I have enough

interruptions to my leisure as it is between telemarketers and solicitors and Democrat Party fund raisers. Leave me in peace!

Well I agree with Barry. As for competent I'll leave that for the professionals. But I have been to dozens of optical meetings where we were encouraged never to mention warranty because it puts into peoples heads there is already some thing wrong. You call some one and ask
    how they are doing with there new glasses and your asking for trouble. It's the same thing they start to think maybe there is something wrong with my glasses. Bad idea!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does anyone have a sample letter for following up with patients a couple weeks after they have received their glasses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A office I worked at many moons ago we would send the pt a thank you letter along with a postage paid report card to grade our service and staff. Negative reports were quickly followed up on.
    And each one also got a Birthday Card for their own personal birthday, which was a reminder that we are here when you need us.

Thread Information