Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essilor and Luxottica sitting in a tree - KISSING. First comes love, then comes...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Essilor and Luxottica sitting in a tree - KISSING. First comes love, then comes...

How can anyone that is independent (not part of the mass merchants or box stores) support anything from Essilor? This French company controls the wholesale lab industry and independent ECP markets. They are a major player with VSP and Vision Source. If an independent ECP buys anything from them (ie. Custom Eyes, Southern, Pech, Varilux, Crizal, Frames Direct, Definity, Shamir, etc...they even own 49% of Transitions!) - it is like giving someone bullets to shoot yourself with. :hammer: They take the profits earned through selling their products and services to independent ECP's and are buying up everything in sight - vertically and horizontally.
    And they are continuing to try to gain more market share in retail - their last frontier before they completely control the US optical market. With the fragmenation of the optical industry, they seem to be just beyond the reach of the FTC.

See their latest efforts with Luxottica... What is to come next? Merger? Joint partnership?

If you are not working for a large retailer like LenShafters, it is very hard to watch!

Luxottica Retail Plans Include Lens Push in LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut Expansion

Andrea Guerra, CEO, Luxottica

LONDON—Luxottica Group’s (NYSE: LUX) flagship LensCrafters retail brand will put more emphasis on its lens offerings this year, in an attempt to build on a 6.1 percent increase in 2010 comparable-store sales, Luxottica’s chief executive officer, Andrea Guerra, told a meeting of financial analysts here yesterday. Luxottica Retail will also be expanding its sunwear retailing, both in LensCrafters stores and through a major worldwide expansion of its Sunglass Hut chain, Guerra said.

The bulk of that planned sunwear sales growth will come via existing stores and newly opened locations rather than major acquisitions, Guerra indicated. Asked about possible acquisitions this year, he replied, “We see 2011 as another year of smaller/medium-sized acquisitions, especially in creating our platform in Latin America.” (Last month Luxottica announced plans to enter the Mexican sunglass market by buying two sunwear chains there totaling 70 locations.)

Luxottica Retail is basing its projection of mid-single-digit sales growth for LensCrafters this year on an upgrading of the chain’s lens marketing. A new digital measurement technology called the Accufit system is slated to be rolled out this summer in LensCrafters’ locations, according to Kerry Bradley, chairman, vision development, of Luxottica Retail North America. Also planned for this year is the rollout of a new AR lens technology, developed in partnership with Essilor, that will bring one-hour AR capability to 200 LensCrafters stores, Bradley said.

In addition, LensCrafters recently launched a new “ready-to-wear” lens program through which consumers who want premium lenses but need their new glasses immediately are initially given a pair of basic lenses, then can come back in a few days to have the premium lenses installed. “Our premium lens sales have gone up four points since we introduced this program,” Bradley noted.

LensCrafters also plans to expand its Rx sunwear marketing with its first national TV campaign supporting the sunglass season. And the chain is increasing “the size and impact” of its sunwear departments, Bradley said, while adding a second, lower-priced Rx Ray-Ban lens option.

With an eye toward what Fabio d’Angelantonio, Luxottica’s executive vice president, sun and luxury retail, called “the aspirational goal” of having 4,000 Sunglass Hut stores operating by 2015, Sunglass Hut will accelerate its host-store program with Macy’s department stores, adding 230 more locations this year for a total of 670 units. The chain will also open four new “flagship” locations—in New York City, Orlando, Santa Monica and London--and move into three additional countries: Mexico, Brazil and Turkey.

The chain’s strong comp-store sales last year—up 11.1 percent in North America, and 8.4 percent worldwide—were attributed by d’Angelantonio to new strategies that will be continued: targeting young women aged 20 to 25, stressing more frequent updating of the stores’ product selections and front-of-store displays, and segmentation of the stores’ product mix depending on their locations and customer demographics.

Sunglass Hut has also been boosting its website and social media efforts. In 2010, online sales through its www.sunglasshut.com site doubled the prior year’s volume, and d’Angelantonio expects that online business to double again in 2011.
    Last edited by Eyeman 2011; 03-02-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Fix paragraph in article that might be missed...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You need to join the informal club here, ABLE - Anything But Lux and Essilor.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Count me in.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Eyeman while you seem to be one of the "bashers" the simple 'hate' really seems misguided and unsupported. As far as Essilor products and brands i challenge you to find any competing company that spends or does more to support the Independent ECP and Lab owners then the Varilux brand. Options? Zeiss undercuts 'your' local privately owned lab and Essilor Partner Lab in so many ways to get the business it's not even funny, Hoya is sold and distributed primarily by Corporate owned labs. You don't really think buying Hoya from Hoya helps any independent now do you??
    Since you seem to hate corporations i expect you don't buy beef because McDonald's sells hamburgers. You don't buy from Walmart or trader Joe's since they are running the local store out of business. All of You're computer runs Linux right?
    In my opinion what is putting the squeeze on the ECP is the lack of 'Professionalism', a consumer is making a choice. Take responsibility for your own success and failures, Please.

We all make our choices but please to it in a informed and intelligent way.
    Many of us out here keep our mouths shut but and just shake our heads at the negativity.
    And i have never worked for Lux and do not work for Ess. but I have managed a business in another field and have see many many changes.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Somebody needs to put their feet up, relax, and have a nice cup of soothing tea!

Quote Originally Posted by blinkvelo View Post
    Eyeman while you seem to be one of the "bashers" the simple 'hate' really seems misguided and unsupported.
    Why is Eyeman's opinion labeled as "hate"? I read his post and saw a strong opinion, but hate?? Really?

Really?
    Last edited by Johns; 03-02-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh there's plenty of hate for Essilor on OptiBoard. Stick around for more than a few weeks and you'll see it. Sad, but reality here.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is great. It will soon be all on one statement. One check to write each month.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Oh there's plenty of hate for Essilor on OptiBoard. Stick around for more than a few weeks and you'll see it. Sad, but reality here.
    I've been lurking for more than a few weeks, and have noticed the opposition to Essilor, but can't say I disagree w/it. I wouldn't go so far as to label these folks "bashers" and "haters".My boss doesn't use any Essilor product if he can help it, but he doesn't hate them. My husband used to wear the Comfort, but switched to the Hoya based on a coupon. Again, no hate.

In my observations, I have noticed that those that most vocally support Essilor and some of the other not so popular bigger companies seem to be from "other eyecare related" folks. Is this a coincidence, or do some of these folks occupy corner offices at the companies and/or their affiliates that they are defending? It's not a problem at all if they are, but I find it amusing that they resort to the "basher" and "hate" labels when the argument gets thin.

A sample of past posts by Blinkvelo advise :
    Try Pech Optical. Call and send them the job for evaluation.
    and...
    Call Pech Optical they have specialize in edging for difficult frame designs.
    and...
    Look up what people say about Pech Optical.
    I would say that the poster is a lover of Pech Optical. Great! We should all be so fortunate to have such ardent supporters rallying for us! By the same token however, allow us our opinion to harbor our own opinions about our choice of products and labs WE choose to support. (without the "hater" and basher" label).

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Don't kid yourself there Darby, there is a major dislike / hatred for Essilor on this board. If it wasn't for the Essilor bashing this site wouldn't get 1/2 the hits it does.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The reason that most people here dislike/distrust Essilor is because when they started out here in the US, they actually did support the independent ECP. Now they've used the money they earned from us to stab us in the back by stifling the wholesale business, buying up labs left and right, pandering to big corporate chains, and now even competing directly against us with their online ventures. Sure, they want to give us a hug - the better to work that knife in the back.

And it's totally unrealistic to think that the Essilor bashing results in half the hits this site gets. Besides, even if it is (which it's not) that would mean there's an awful lot of sympathetic Essilor-haters out there to be looking for sites that carry that content.
    Sure, it offends the E employees like the ones we have here, but they have to remember that it's not them that we don't like, it's their bosses.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper major dislike / hatred for Essilor .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post

Don't kid yourself there Darby, there is a major dislike / hatred for Essilor on this board. If it wasn't for the Essilor bashing this site wouldn't get 1/2 the hits it does.

If you go back on OptiBoard about 10 years it was full of enthusiasm for Essilor and Lux.

Then members started to realize what these companies were doing. They started to buy up retailers and labs in an all out effort to control the market. They moved the manufacturing jobs out of North America to Asian countries. They started to make even more money without giving anything back.

There could as well be admiration for what and how they are doing it. Essilor now even owns the largest on line optical.................absolutely ingenious.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Independents helped both Essilor and Luxottica get started. Then they both turned on us and viciously competed with us. Its like that nice dog that gets rabies....Cujo.

Somehow we are supposed to be happy with them???

I know they have good products.. Well at least Essilor does, Luxottica's quality is slipping in my opinion.

In the end their strategy is like everyone else, they plan to be the last man standing...

Occupation
    By the way Darby, Pech optical is owned by Essilor :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh yeah - don't forget to take note that on these boards, the general consensus of many is that polycarb is pure evil incarnate and also stabs you in the back. Doubly so if it comes from an Essilor lab. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    " In 2010, online sales through its www.sunglasshut.com site doubled the prior year’s volume, and d’Angelantonio expects that online business to double again in 2011. "

Well, somebody at yer neighborhood B&M is going to have to service these skus...

Why not us? All the more reason to develop and calculate your fee for service menu, IMHO.

Barry

OptiBoard Apprentice ELM OPTICAL's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    " In 2010, online sales through its www.sunglasshut.com site doubled the prior year’s volume, and d’Angelantonio expects that online business to double again in 2011. "

Well, somebody at yer neighborhood B&M is going to have to service these skus...

Why not us? All the more reason to develop and calculate your fee for service menu, IMHO.

Barry
    To service $70 Ray Bans? Or Maui Jims that you can only send back to MJ for service? Or Revo and Oakley that would send a new replacement frame if the customer insist enogh?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That.......

"Essilor and Luxottica sitting in a tree - KISSING. First comes love, then comes..."

would be one uuuugly looking kid, IMO.:drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    "essilor and luxottica sitting in a tree - kissing. First comes love, then comes..."

would be one uuuugly looking kid, imo.:drop:
    funny!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And now, in an effort to be "green" EOA now makes you go to their online billing site to print out your statements yourself. So they save the cost of actually sending you bills, calls it "green". But all they're doing is having you print out their statement, instead of them doing it. How can that save anybody anything except EOA?

Pretty smart of them to get us to do their printing for them.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ELM OPTICAL View Post
    To service $70 Ray Bans? Or Maui Jims that you can only send back to MJ for service? Or Revo and Oakley that would send a new replacement frame if the customer insist enogh?
    Yes...it's called "convenience".

B

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And it's totally unrealistic to think that the Essilor bashing results in half the hits this site gets. Besides, even if it is (which it's not) that would mean there's an awful lot of sympathetic Essilor-haters out there to be looking for sites that carry that content.
    Sure, it offends the E employees like the ones we have here, but they have to remember that it's not them that we don't like, it's their bosses.
    True story. Besides, everyone knows 75% of the people on OptiBoard get on to complain about online eyewear sales.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Whooo Hoooo!!! I've been on hiatus over at Eyeoverheard dot com. Let's get down to some serious bidness here. hahahahaha

What was the topic again?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, that is a relief! I'm so glad to hear your general disdain for all things Essilor does not involve me personally!

Of course, I'm not sure why you wouldn't like my boss (since much of his day- like mine- is spent developing dispensing tools to help private ECPs demonstrate products to their patients). Plus, he's just generally a really nice guy (especially for a PhD)! In fact, I can't imagine someone who has actually met my boss NOT liking him- but to each his own, I guess.

In fact, I'm not sure why you wouldn't like my bosses' boss either- since he approves the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for educational events, development of dispenser tools, and programs aimed at assisting private care practitioners. Then there's my bosses' bosses' boss- who approved the expenditure of millions of dollars in Crizal marketing this year (last I checked, Crizal is sold primarily if not solely by private practitioners). Anyway, as long as its them you dislike and not me, I will sleep like a baby tonight...

In any case, rest assured we here at Essilor do like you (well, I do anyway)- and will continue to expend a whole bunch of time, money, and energy in an effort to make practitioners successful by providing patients with the best possible vision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There's a whole lotta love.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Well, that is a relief! I'm so glad to hear your general disdain for all things Essilor does not involve me personally!

Of course, I'm not sure why you wouldn't like my boss (since much of his day- like mine- is spent developing dispensing tools to help private ECPs demonstrate products to their patients). Plus, he's just generally a really nice guy (especially for a PhD)! In fact, I can't imagine someone who has actually met my boss NOT liking him- but to each his own, I guess.

In fact, I'm not sure why you wouldn't like my bosses' boss either- since he approves the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for educational events, development of dispenser tools, and programs aimed at assisting private care practitioners. Then there's my bosses' bosses' boss- who approved the expenditure of millions of dollars in Crizal marketing this year (last I checked, Crizal is sold primarily if not solely by private practitioners). Anyway, as long as its them you dislike and not me, I will sleep like a baby tonight...

In any case, rest assured we here at Essilor do like you (well, I do anyway)- and will continue to expend a whole bunch of time, money, and energy in an effort to make practitioners successful by providing patients with the best possible vision.
    ...in this post.

FoR you, my hAt in My hand, I Extend thankS ...During evolvIng RECent virTual events.

uncut
    Last edited by uncut; 03-07-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    (last I checked, Crizal is sold primarily if not solely by private practitioners).
    I really don't have much of an opinion either way, but, rather than post it here, I've sent you the link one of the many (non-private practitioners) online retailers that feature Crizal Avance on their FRONT page.
    Not that this is anything your company does not know, but I could not stand by
    and see this statement unchallenged.

On the bright side (if there is one) the site I sent you is not (yet) owned by Essilor.

Darby

Thread Information