Thread: Order now, and the second one is absolutely free! (But no, it won’t work, either.)...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Order now, and the second one is absolutely free! (But no, it won’t work, either.)...

The King Tut of  hucksters, Veg-O-Matic’s Ron Popeil, sold his business five years ago—ever see his tool that scrambles an egg in its shell?—for $55 million. That got us thinking of automotive cockamamie like gas savers and smokeless ashtrays. What’s out there? We logged on to AsSeenOnTV.com and filled our virtual cart with $144 of the finest and flimsiest items that late-night TV—or, in this case, midafternoon internet—has to offer.

1. Sun Zapper

THE PROMISE: “Provides protection from the blinding sun, as well as reflections from other cars and reflective surfaces.”

HOW IT WORKS (SUPPOSEDLY): The tinted plastic panel clips to your sun visor. It’s like sunglasses but without all that strain on your ears. The “Sliding Sun Terminator” provides extra protection.

DOES IT WORK? It’s supposed to shield you from reflective surfaces but is itself a reflective surface. If you try to stare right through it, you’ll be confused by reflections of the cars behind you, of the rear of your car, and even of your own face. Also, the Sliding Sun Terminator is a small panel so dark it might terminate the driver—or others he crashes into. Flipped up so that the driver isn’t looking directly through it, the Sun Zapper works okay, but the constant play of reflections across its surface and the two-tone view out the windshield are unsettling.

Rating: 1 (out of 5)

ALTERNATIVELY YOU COULD: Drive while wearing a welding helmet.* *Not actually recommended. Just buy sunglasses.

See all of it: http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...products-test/

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really loved my Veg-O-Matic for making French Fries!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I grew up with rabbit ears on my black and white tv with a twisty dial to turn the station. We were really poor, and it was my grandparents ex-ex tv. Needless to say we didn't have cable, and the only station we recieved was channel 26 out of New London. I don't know if it's possilbe to count how many times I watched #1 reruns of 'The Big Valley' and #2 Infomercials with Ron and his 'set it and forget it' rotisserie oven. I think this led to an addiction to QVC that I had to quit as an adult. I'm a sucker for 'as seen on tv' items.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I grew up with rabbit ears on my black and white tv with a twisty dial to turn the station. We were really poor, and it was my grandparents ex-ex tv. Needless to say we didn't have cable, and the only station we recieved was channel 26 out of New London. I don't know if it's possilbe to count how many times I watched #1 reruns of 'The Big Valley' and #2 Infomercials with Ron and his 'set it and forget it' rotisserie oven. I think this led to an addiction to QVC that I had to quit as an adult. I'm a sucker for 'as seen on tv' items.
    You had a TV ...!! Hell, we used to put my little brother inside a cut-away cardboard "TV" and we had him do at least a half-dozen shows! That was the early "premium packages" they offered. Years later my brother surprised us at a Haloween party dressed up with a cardboard TV head doing commercials-It dices- It slices !! ;)
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And who could forget the "Bass-O-Matic"???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    You had a TV ...!! Hell, we used to put my little brother inside a cut-away cardboard "TV" and we had him do at least a half-dozen shows! That was the early "premium packages" they offered. Years later my brother surprised us at a Haloween party dressed up with a cardboard TV head doing commercials-It dices- It slices !! ;)
    alas, I had no younger brother.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

At least you had a cardboard TV. and I was the younger brother :-(

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

You were lucky! You had cardboard! Why, I only had imaginary cardboard - we'd hold our hands out to make a frame and look at birds outside and think we were watching Wild Kingdom!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember using the Popiel Pasta Pumper (or something like that) while preparing dinner for a date. While my date was standing by, the Pasta Pumper pumped out a big glob of flour, oil and egg. Fortunately, I had a box of angel hair pasta as a backup.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No way. Ron Popiel, Billy Mays - whatever. None of them compare to Vince with ShamWow. He's freakin awesome. I don't actually own anything from infomercials but if I did it would be the Slap Chop. The dude's hilarious. Check out the great parodies on youtube of his stuff, and make sure you're wearing a diaper.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Thread Information