Thread: GT23D vs. Individual

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

GT23D vs. Individual

I am wondering what the biggest difference between the GT23D and the Zeiss Individual is. Our office has had a hard time fitting the Individual and is looking to start fitting the GT23D instead since we've had great success with the GT2.
    -Karen

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are doing something wrong. The GT 2 is a better lens than all the previous progressives and in my opinion far superior to Physio for int and near. The creation is about the same but is from my supplier slightly more expensive. I have worn all of the named progressives and currently the GT 2 3d. The GT 2 is better at int because the power changes much quicker than the Physio. The GT 2 3D is just sharper everywhere.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ght=Individual

There's some good info here. I'm sure Darryl will be along to give a full explanation.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The basic GT2 3Dv lens design is very similar to Zeiss Individual. In fact, GT2 semi-finished, GT2 3D, and Zeiss Individual are all based upon the same lens design platform, although there are some minor optical differences between the three. Frankly, we feel that the basic "fingerprint" of the starting lens design of this platform, including the design of the viewing zones, progressive corridor, and periphery, is about as good as you can get for the average wearer, without the application of additional customization for each individual wearer.

Although there are some subtle design differences between GT2 3Dv and Zeiss Individual, the greatest difference between the two is the level of customization: Zeiss Individual is optically customized for the prescription, frame size, and position of wear, whereas GT2 3Dv is only customized for the prescription and frame size. A default position of wear is assumed during the optical optimization process with GT2 3Dv. Zeiss Individual is also available with a personalized engraving.

That said, optical customization for the position of wear adds one more dimension of potential improvement in visual performance. While some wearers with a weak prescription, a conservative position of wear, or a high tolerance to blur may not necessarily notice a dramatic difference, Zeiss Individual represents the best possible vision quality available from ZEISS customized lenses. If you are having trouble taking accurate position of wear measurements, I could probably have your CZV sales consultant conduct some additional training for you. If so, feel free to e-mail me with your account information.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ZEiss Individual 1.74 SV in higher powers (over 6) ...the BEST!

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Barry, how do you rate the GT2 3D compared to Individual, Summit and ID for cyl over 4?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    How long does it take to get GT2 3D in 1.74 from Germany?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm acutally ONLY using Individual. The price difference, to me, is not worth it to consider GT2 3D when combined with purecoat AR

FWIW

2.5 to 3.5 weeks for 1.74

Barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020Karen View Post
    I am wondering what the biggest difference between the GT23D and the Zeiss Individual is. Our office has had a hard time fitting the Individual and is looking to start fitting the GT23D instead since we've had great success with the GT2.
    The biggest difference is the peripheral distortion in the 3D, and the lack of flexibility in the 3D. Default to Individual except where a patient can in no way swing the cost. My experience with the Individual would lead me to 1 of 2 conclusions as to why you have trouble fitting the Individual:

The first, and most obvious is measurements. If the measurements are sloppy, GT2 3D is more forgiving because you can play with the frame adjustment and the patient will still see the same old optical crud in the periphery. The Individual is an incredibly comfortable lens, and the moment it is out of adjustment, your patient will realize a loss of visual comfort, though they may not be able to explain what the problem is.

The second reason you may be having trouble fitting your patients in the Individual is because of what they were wearing before. I always tell my patients that they must unlearn all of the bad habits they are used to, because the Individual provides very natural vision (it doesn't hurt to steal marketing language as it provides a consistent message to the patient and a comprehensible message to the patient). Your patient (as ridiculous as it sounds) is almost seeing TO good out of the Individual, and may need a little adaptation period. Note: My GT2 patients did not have troubles with this, but my Gradal Top and ID lifestyle patients did struggle at first.

Of course there are other reasons you could be having troubles (such as if you only use Individual on complicated Rxs or on patients with significant astigmatism [in which case they have a harder time adapting to anything period if there was a change in Rx]). However, in my experience with the Individual (of which I have a great deal), these are the two places I would start.

Thread Information