Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you recieve payment for materials?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

When do you recieve payment for materials?

Hey guys since you all were so helpful with my last post I thought I'd ask another question. Our optical shop has been very loose on when we receive payment for glasses and contacts. We have given the patient the options to either pay all now or when they pick up the glasses or half now half when they pick up. I wanted to see what you all do. And also do you do the same for patients with insurance plans? Thanks in advance for the responses!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We ask for 1/2 down at order and the other half at pick-up. In regards to insurance coverage, we find out how much the insurance will cover then we get 1/2 the patients portion at order and the rest of the payment at pick-up. We never let the glasses out of the building with out full payment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Full payment at the time of order. Insurance or not the same rule applies. The reality is that many people expect to pay in full when they place the order.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make a tasteful sign or 2 displayed prominently: "Payment in full is expected upon completion of services rendered unless other arrangements are made in advance."

Other arrangements= 50% due for private pay orders with very very few exceptions (say a long time established patient).
    Full payment for third party plans no exceptions.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i've learned the hard way, always ask for a deposit or full payment when the order is placed, or you are gonna loose a lot of money

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "How would you like to pay for that today?" generally does the trick 90% of the time. Oh can I pay when I pick them up? "I'll tell you what, I'll take 50% down and you can pay the rest later". If they are really tight and they have a good record at the store plus insurance is covering enough to cover our butts I let them slide. Haven't had anyone in the six months I have been there skate on their bill or not pick them up within a few weeks but if that changes so will I.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Add us to the list of full payment requested, half-and-half accepted.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    side note: asked for payment the other day for a patient updating lenses only and coming in for an i/r next week. mother says: oh, i didn't know i would have to pay today, but I'm good for it, i promise! I used to babysit Dr. XYZ (owner of practice)'s kids when they were young.

Cue eye roll.

Ordered uncut stock lenses, she can pay me at the i/r and I'll edge them then, thank you very much.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I went thru this issue years ago while training staffs, optical as well as other retail operations. Its simple........Mrs Smith you balance due is $$$$..How would you like to pay today? At this point you shut up! Next one to speak loses, LOL. If they ask if they pay a deposit then you insert your policy...50% is the least I would accept. Another word of caution here....keep it the same for everyone.....just makes it simple in the long run.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We use the tried and true "will that be cash, check or charge?". Then let them speak first. Maybe we need to change that to "cash, debit, or charge?" since I'm thinking about not taking checks anymore. If they ask for partial payment we need at least 50% down but never offer it in advance.

What you don't want to ever have them say is "how much did you want to pay on these today?" Ackkk! I guess "nothing" would be an acceptable choice based on that question? /s

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The key is take enough of a deposit so that if the patient doesn't come back you haven't lost money on the materials.
    We usually go with 1/2 to full to get it started. Although, when I ask people "How would you like to pay for that today? cash, credit, debit, check, rubles, pesos, or small children?" I have had people offer up their kids in payment. Always good for a laugh.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chad724 View Post
    We ask for 1/2 down at order and the other half at pick-up. In regards to insurance coverage, we find out how much the insurance will cover then we get 1/2 the patients portion at order and the rest of the payment at pick-up. We never let the glasses out of the building with out full payment.
    REALLY?? I have never worked in an office where this is acceptable to tell a patient, yea sure, you can pay for half now and half later. I don't buy $100 worth of groceries at the store and say "Um can I pay half now and half when I come back?" or I don't go to the mechanic and say "I'll pay for half of that now and half of it when it some other time" I certainly didn't go into the bridal shop and say "I'll pay for half of the dress now and half of it later" Uhh no. You pay for the product you purchase right then and there at the time of the order. ESPECIALLY when insurance is involved..you should never give a patient up front the option of paying 1/2 now and 1/2 later. How many times have you allowed this to happen and you've been burned and had $600 worth of someone's order sitting there for months and months. This is something that really grinds my gears when I hear someone in optical doing this..

I tell them their total today will be $xxx. I tell them, I will put everything into the computer so give me a few minutes and when I come back..we will take care of the payment up front. I never ever ever give them that option of putting a "down payment" on them. IF they ask and it's insurance, I will tell them we can hold the glasses for 24 hours but they have to be paid for before we order the product.

I used to work with someone that would always say "Your total is $xxxx. Would you like to pay half now and half when you pick them up or would you like to pay for the exam now and glasses when they arrive?" Well the OD/Owner heard this, went over to the patient and employee and said "I apologize but product that is purchased out of my office will be paid for up front" The employee was pulled to the back after this occurred and was warned never to do this again. Needless to say, she got canned because she clearly didn't understand this..

I honestly can't even understand why this is even a question lol I mean really..
    Last edited by NeGlassesGirl27; 02-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course the flaw in this is you don't pay for the groceries until they are ready to leave the store with you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Of course the flaw in this is you don't pay for the groceries until they are ready to leave the store with you.
    So what do you do then, Chip. Do you offer 1/2 payment for glasses or payment up front?

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    "How would you like to pay for that today?" generally does the trick 90% of the time. Oh can I pay when I pick them up? "I'll tell you what, I'll take 50% down and you can pay the rest later". If they are really tight and they have a good record at the store plus insurance is covering enough to cover our butts I let them slide. Haven't had anyone in the six months I have been there skate on their bill or not pick them up within a few weeks but if that changes so will I.
    +1
    Pez:D

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NeGlassesGirl: We still trust them to pay at pick up. Don't recommend this, it cost you a lot to trust people.
    But even at collecting half in advance the patient isn't going home with half of them while you are fabricating.
    It may be 1/2 ready with the frame, but the customer doesn't have it, you do.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    NeGlassesGirl: We still trust them to pay at pick up. Don't recommend this, it cost you a lot to trust people.
    But even at collecting half in advance the patient isn't going home with half of them while you are fabricating.
    It may be 1/2 ready with the frame, but the customer doesn't have it, you do.

Chip
    I agree that there is a lot of trust that goes into it. Have I been burned by patients who swore up and down they would come in and pay for the rest of them? Absolutely and that's why I do not do it anymore. I have had that happen to me years ago a few times and never again will I leave that as an option. Like someone said, it's always the people that say "Oh..you mean I have to pay for those?" Of course not! I'll go ahead and order these $700 pair of glasses and hope you show back up when they arrive..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a lot of very elderly patients in my office, and many can't fathem not paying for a purchase at pickup. But many were around when we had general stores and you bought everything on account. I kid you not. For patients whose charts weigh more than me (scary), I'll allow them to pay me with their $100 bills from under their mattress at pickup. The rest who roll their eyes I tell them straight up, look, I'm sorry, but too many people have burned us and ruined it for all the rest of us nice folk. And how will you be paying me today, thankyouverymuch.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's really not fair to the customer for anyone to demand full payment up front. I for one would not pay anyone up front for services that have not yet been rendered. A 50% deposit shows good faith on both parties involved.
    NE, my daughter was married last summer...wedding dress 50% down, balance due upon completion. Flowers 50% down, balance due on delivery. Cake, 50% down, balance due on delivery. DJ 25% down, balance due the day of. Venue 50% deposit, balance due 2 weeks prior. etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A sign at our reception counter, a counter card, simply states "Payment in full is required when eyewear is received". "Due to the custom nature of eyewear, a deposit is required when order is placed." Seems to work for us.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Half up front.

People are afraid to do this, because they think it will drive people away. It only drives away those who you do not want to do business with.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I believe 50% up front with remaining balance paid at pickup is most appropriate as this is typically standard business practice in such situations (eg a large purchase where commitment is needed from a customer, but where the customer doesn't see the final product until later).

Personally, I do not feel it's appropriate to ask for full payment until the customer has opportunity to inspect the final product. If full pay up front is the policy then that's the policy... but I think a customer would be justified in raising a fuss about it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Payment mentality has changed........................

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post

........, my daughter was married last summer...wedding dress 50% down, balance due upon completion. Flowers 50% down, balance due on delivery. Cake, 50% down, balance due on delivery. DJ 25% down, balance due the day of. Venue 50% deposit, balance due 2 weeks prior. etc.
    Payment mentality has changed over the last few years, mainly due to the aggressive behavior of the credit card banks. Customer actually do not actually have to pay out front, they might even stretch payment for many month without you knowing.

That is fair and dandy, the optician can get paid at point of sale, customer can pay whenever it suits him or her, and even has a recourse if something goes wrong.

The people that handle cash only have become very few. I see some older people in line at the checkout at Publix, WalMart and others used to pay a $ 4.50 with a cheque years ago and today it is a credit or debit card.

Even in larger quantities to factories and labs around the world, companies working with open credit lines had been slowing down on their payment habit and the world trade has changed to send order, make quote, transfer payment or give credit card number........and then merchandise is shipped. This has become very normal behavior.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    nothing is made unless paid in full...if they want to put down a deposit, they are told that when they pay the balance, the job will be processed

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we don't take any insurances and everything has to be paid in full prior to placing the order. Rarely do we have a patient request making payments. We will hold the order until paid in full.

Thread Information