Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customers using your time then asking for the frame code to buy online...

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Customers using your time then asking for the frame code to buy online...

Just curious as to how you guys deal with customers who come into your store, use up your staff's time, try on your stock...only to then ask you for the model details to purchase them online.

We sometime do the obvious of just giving our store codes out (customers will ask, "is this the model and colour number?"), others will actually have the nerve to ring up while they are infront of the computer, ask for the code, because the one we gave them was not the right one to find online.

Personally, I lack tact and have been known to put customers in their place by saying "No, we don't give store codes out sorry, as we have no affiliation with the internet sales. Our staff, stock and time, that you have used to try those glasses on, are not there for you to buy them online. if you wish to purchase those glasses you can from us, using our code." (I have also been a bit more...*ahem* "dry" with my response...)

What have your responses been when customers are using your shop as a fitting room to buy online or else where?
    Its ok!.....I work at an independant!....and no, thats NOT on sale.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Our codes do not match online codes to avoid people using us for a fitting store - would be my answer.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Our codes do not match online codes to avoid people using us for a fitting store - would be my answer.
    Our tickets have both the bar code and model details (and then alot of sunnies missing tags *insert eye roll here*). Also when they ask to have the sunnies written down on a business card, we write the store code/bar code. But as I said, we still have those asking for the actual model details. So I want to know how others go about combating this or the responses they give to customers as to why they don't give out the model details.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell them you would be happy to write down the information for them and write down the store code info and price perhaps . If they ask for model # just say "the code is the only thing you need to bring back with you to order them".I bet that would shut most people down.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Tell them you would be happy to write down the information for them and write down the store code info and price perhaps . If they ask for model # just say "the code is the only thing you need to bring back with you to order them".I bet that would shut most people down.
    Yeah, thats what we do = write down the store code and price. but as i said, there are people that then ask if thats the actual model details - as in not the store code. (to which I have replied "Thats the code we use to reference the glasses" - then they ask for the brand/model/colour/price details. Its at this point I want something more unique to say as to why we don't give it out.

So again, how do you tell people that they are only going to be given the store code and why not the model details?

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give incorrect details; "Yes this sunglass model size is 31-10, don't order anything else or it will be the wrong size for your head."

Probably take your name badge off before talking to them, though :P

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to have this problem before the advent of the internet. It turned out to be an OD's office nearby who didn't have a good selection of product. I wrote down our code number for the frame and told the customer that that was all that they needed to buy the frame here. That would shut up the majority of "customers" but if someone had the nerve to say that they wanted it for no good, the conversation would take a different route and I would ask them what benefit would I get from that? I have the frame and that is what we sell. I would then ask them how I would be participating in the sale since I have the product on hand and the "customer" liked it????????

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Naaa....no need to lie! Tell them the truth:

Top ten answers to those requesting info from you about your frame stock:

1) May I direct you to the local chapter of Tagpickers Anonymous?
    2) We are not a showroom for your online seller.
    3) We are not a showroom for your local________! If you don't trust them for frame selection....why do you trust them to make your eyeglasses.
    4) The information given to you is what we require to start fabrication of your eyewear. Would you like to place an order?
    5) If you don't trust them to assist you in your frame selection....do you trust the eyeexam result?
    6) Ahhh....so you are the tag-picker!
    7) Wonderful....of course you realize that there is a charge for that information. Helllo....Hello.......................
    8) Wow....so no one else had anything that you liked? Did you try__________? Was their staff not helpful? No staff online, you say?
    9) That is an exclusive to our store.
    10) You mean to say that you spent 2 hours of my time, and you expect me to do what again, please repeat.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    We should devise codes that when they enter them into computers, it puts a virus on their computer

Naaahhh

Occupation
    The best way I have found to deal with this scenario is to never give the information out. What I mean by that is when the patient asks take them to a computer and get their name, address, phone number, DOB, and then start an account for them with the model information in the notes. You could then let them know that the data will be saved in there file for a future purchase.

Now this will force their hand to reveal what they intend to do with the information. For example they may say:

But I nEed that information to shop around?
    Reply: Our prices are very competitive if you are interested we have a more budget friendly selection of frames.

I was going to price them online! (the bold patient)
    Reply: I'm sorry we don't sell medical devices online, its a violation of ethics, license laws, and/or our agreement to provide you with the best service. (then keep insisting that you don't sell Eyewear online no matter what the details are of the further reply)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    We should devise codes that when they enter them into computers, it puts a virus on their computer

Naaahhh
    This falls under the same category as me wishing everyone who tried to use a five fingered discount would trip walking out the door. And then again after they got up. And then again.... -repeat until theif returns merchandise, or is unconscious-

Impossible, but so much fun if it was!
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm going to brainstorm, here.

Online--do it yourself vs. Optical--professional care.

Again, I'm advantaged in this regard as an OD, but if someone walks into my practice, they've already self-selected that they're interested in our professional care (although we do get a little of taking out their CLRx or SpRx like anyone).

In a pure optical, there's "shopping" that goes on, I understand. Nonetheless, we may need to break that mold. You may want to become "eyeglass doctors"; that is, you may want to structure your opticals so that there's a front desk/receptionist who greets and says "Hello" (not a front door that leads right to the frameboards) and screens these people.

"Hi, how can I help you today?"
    "Oh, just looking for glasses"
    "Great, Candy will be right with you. Please have a seat and a cup of mochachino."

"Hi, I'm Candy, I'll be helping you today. What are you interested in?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3729892.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	7569

"Uh, just looking."

"Help yourself. Come on into our optical. I can get out any frame that you're interested in."

And then you have everything under glass, like a NYC optical, or you have everything in drawers like those fancy Robert Marc places with only frames on display. Let them try to get numbers off of that stuff!

Now, I don't think we need to make radical changes in opticianry at this point, but it's always a good idea to think these things through. Opticianry could easily drop the "do it yourself" that is still residual in our opticals--irony, because the do-it-yourselfers that use the internet will drive real opticals in the polar opposite direction.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The best way I have found to deal with this scenario is to never give the information out. What I mean by that is when the patient asks take them to a computer and get their name, address, phone number, DOB, and then start an account for them with the model information in the notes. You could then let them know that the data will be saved in there file for a future purchase.

Now this will force their hand to reveal what they intend to do with the information. For example they may say:

But I nEed that information to shop around?
    Reply: Our prices are very competitive if you are interested we have a more budget friendly selection of frames.

I was going to price them online! (the bold patient)
    Reply: I'm sorry we don't sell medical devices online, its a violation of ethics, license laws, and/or our agreement to provide you with the best service. (then keep insisting that you don't sell Eyewear online no matter what the details are of the further reply)
    Harry, thanks for bringing up the ethics point here. I'd like to humbly point out that some of the suggestions posted so far are far out on the unethical extreme. How about if you dial back a bit and just say 'No, we don't provide that information' and let it go at that. I know some of this is an expression of frustration, but keep in mind that consumers *DO* have access to this forum and can and do read it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In all honesty you could just tell them that giving out that information is against store policy. I assume that it is. Will the person be unhappy? Yes , but they are not really a customer or patient. They are taking advantage of your time and services. Do not be rude by any means. However, be stern.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just tell them that it is not our policy to give out frame information, but that I will be more than happy to make a note in their chart for future purchases.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I cheerfully let people know I would be more than happy to put the information they are looking for in their chart for future reference. Repeat as necessary. ;)

Even so, I don't follow people around my store like a puppy; I usually ask them what they are look for, if they need my help, and if I can pull their INS information for them. A serious buyer will want your assistance; someone looking to find a cheap, asian knock-off elsewhere will usually clue you in with their body language.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ammo, are you finding this is more of a regular occurring, having people trying to extract frame details to buy elsewhere?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    Just curious as to how you guys deal with customers who come into your store, use up your staff's time, try on your stock...only to then ask you for the model details to purchase them online.
    Since neither you nor they have the time or energy to spend just say no and hold the door for them as they leave.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Its not so much an issue with our optical frames. But we are primarily a designer sunglass store (largest selection in the southern hemisphere... online shopper's paradise for trying on the goods...) so I can't really pull the ethics on getting a non eye care professional making up their glasses. And if a customer does want the optical frame details, its so they can buy the frame online and the lenses through us.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRat View Post
    Ammo, are you finding this is more of a regular occurring, having people trying to extract frame details to buy elsewhere?
    Yeah most definately.

I already do the whole "we only give out store codes." but I lack the tact/diplomacy to back the answer up as to why we dont give out the actual model details.
    Usually customers will be like "but why can't i have the model details" and I tell them "store policy blah blah blah" and thats that. but some times i find myself getting really narky customers.

perfect recent scenario:
    Customer rings up asking about a Prada shield store code we had given him. says he wants to "compare the prices online".
    I tell him we don't give those details out as we are not a showroom for online purchases.
    He CRACKED it saying he had a right to compare prices and to know the model details.
    Got into a bit of an argument with him and he then wanted to make a complaint about the fact i wouldnt give details out.
    I know the business owner would have my back, but I really want to be more diplomatic when it comes to telling people like that, where to go.

and its not only because they are buying online, we don't discount, other stores do. so they check out our massive range, only to take the code else where for a discounted price. (mind you, im talking brands like Tiffany & Co & Bvlgari, where its in the stockist's contracts NOT to discount... but some stores are so desperate, they still do)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our policy has always been to 1st. have their RX in hand and 2nd. We will gladly 'hold' that frame for 5 days while you decide. This has always worked for us.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    When I did work as a retail optician (wholesale lab rat now) I always gave out the info. Call me stupid but I was always happy to talk optics to anyone who walked into my store. As General Manager when I hired new staff I always told them I don't need sales people i want people who are willing to educate. The glasses would sell themselves your job is to educate them what is going to be the best things for them.

Some times I might not make a sale because the only thing they were doing was looking to buy their glasses online. When things go south for them with the online sales, well They come back to me to fix the mess. as I was so nice help them when I wasn't going to make a dime off of them.

IMHO when you try to get every penny out of them the first time around that is sometimes the last penny you get. My philosophy is make it affordable without giving it away and they will keep coming back and make you more money in the long term.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try this technique its a part of love and logic its a parenting skill. When kids repeat themselves they teach that you shut your brain off and repeat yourself. I do this often so it would go like this.

customer:"can I get the model info on this frame?"

Me:" Unfortunately it is against store policy. I can however write down the store code # that is the only thing you really need"

Customer:" That is crap I have the right to comparison shop . Give me the number!"

Me" Unfortunately it is against store policy. I can however write down the store code # that is the only thing your really need"

It sounds horrible but the key is not sounding sarcastic. You have to seem like you really sympathize with them.I really am being serious about using this. It may sound like I am making a joke but I use this and it works.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why is there such a fear in offending someone who has basically said they wont be buying from you but want to use your store as a showroom?

I dont know of any other industry with such little self respect....No wonder the online sales outlets are laughing at you....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Try this technique its a part of love and logic its a parenting skill. When kids repeat themselves they teach that you shut your brain off and repeat yourself. I do this often so it would go like this.

customer:"can I get the model info on this frame?"

Me:" Unfortunately it is against store policy. I can however write down the store code # that is the only thing you really need"

Customer:" That is crap I have the right to comparison shop . Give me the number!"

Me" Unfortunately it is against store policy. I can however write down the store code # that is the only thing your really need"

It sounds horrible but the key is not sounding sarcastic. You have to seem like you really sympathize with them.I really am being serious about using this. It may sound like I am making a joke but I use this and it works.

Personally,if someone said to me to "give me that number"...I would tell them I dont have to give you anything and terminate the conversation.....Why put up with that bs?...Unless you are so desperate that you hope that person might actually buy from you some day or you have zero self esteem...

Thread Information