Thread: Where to find a forum where I can post for opinions on optical glass brands?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Where to find a forum where I can post for opinions on optical glass brands?

Can't post any technical questions or ask opinions here. Someone must have a forum where this is allowed.....???

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The correct forum would be the inside of your local optical shop.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And always remember each is better than the other. As in all advertising and sales promotion.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Not the right place

Sorry,

This would be the incorrect place. The beauty of forums is that you get advice and viewpoints from many different sources. There seems to be a bad set of choices in this board in effect suggesting that layman can't ask intelligent reasonable questions.

You don't get different viewpoints from your corner optician, you get one point of view. And I don't have time to drive to 10 different opticians to get their viewpoints.

I work in software. All the forums I participate in, including Microsoft company forums do not limit membership to software engineers only. That would be a bad idea.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Well, sir, if you had actually read and UNDERSTOOD the rules, you would know better, wouldn't you?

And btw, you did agree to them when you signed up...no excuses. No cheap shots.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    actually Mike he signed up before the ban on consumers, and besides he's an engineer those rules don't apply to him.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Charlestek.....

The beauty of this forum is that we won't knowingly let a consumer be misled by bad, or incompetent advice. You have absolutely no idea of the qualifications of anyone of us on this board, other than what we tell you they are. Rather than have you go away with incorrect advice which might not only come back to bite you.......but Optiboard as well, we prudently ask you to see an eyecare professional in person.

First of all each case is different, and only when you have all the questions answered can one give proper advice. Secondly, opinions may differ or conflict because of this lack of complete information. How is the consumer able to determine the correct course of action in any given situation? It can't be done on a forum like this.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hcjillson,

You ideas make a lot of good sense, and I appreciate your thoughtful answer. However it appears that you won't let a consumer be misled, but you will accept to be possibly misled amongst yourselves, as I have read a lot of the forums and they are opinionated and polarized which is what I might like debates among professionals to be. I've seen posts where a professional member has posted prescriptions of patients he is working with and asked opionions on specific types of glass etc. So you are saying it is not ok for a consumer, but ok for professionals..... This is fully justfied from only a liability sense, which is fine with me, but is disappointing from the standpoint where I would believe more likely than not that most of the professionals on this board are qualified and their advice is useful. And yes, we engineers hold ourselves to a higher standard than opticians. I guess we value everyone's viewpoint, more so than the people in the previous posts whom it seems, don't like me voicing opinons on a forum. I though that is what a forum is for?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    but charlestek...virtually all of the consumer questions I have seen on this forum are from individuals who are:

a) trying to avoid paying a professional for advice.
    b) trying to make a diagnosis and reach a conclusion without presenting all the information necessary to do so. Without physically seeing a patient face to face, it is impossible to advise them... especially as it relates to glasses and contacts which fit on the face.

So it's pointless, and potentially dangerous to give opinions on incomplete data...especially questions on "which brand is better". Better for who?? and under what conditions??

Trying to address these issues with consumers on a forum like this is like being at a cocktail party and getting asked, "should I get LASIK"?
    Last edited by fjpod; 02-10-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's all really easy, anyway.

Your correct answer as to which brand is best is.........Brand "A".
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Charlestek is right in one observation....you can go to ten different opticals and get ten different opinions about brands. The cause of this is not surface apparent.

All 9 of 10 are probably chain/corps that have brainwashed and limited the staff to specific brands that are, um...better than others. ONE of the ten might be an independent that is not biased and be the only credible one, but who are you going to believe?

@Charlestek: Search out the independents in your area. I'm sure that Boston has a few left. There, you will probably find a reputable, unbiased, frank opinion about Brands.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    See this thread from Steve: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ites-and-Links

It gives some of his reasoning for the rules he has for his forum and hopefully some helpful links as well.

The problem I always have with consumer questions is that when I see one, my helpful side kicks in and I'm halfway done typing a response before I remember I'm not allowed to answer their questions.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Makes sense

Yeah, it is unfortunate that there can't be any consumer questions in this forum.

My original question is are there any other forum boards that allow consumer questions.

No one has answered that.

I really am trying to get info on Varilux Physio Enhanced vs Hoyalux ID, the best way would be to find a Hoya rep and find out who dispenses them. I'm trying to get that from the Hoya site, but there are no telephone numbers, you have to fill out a form and hope someone answers you. (Please don't give me any technical advice (it is not allowed)....)
    Last edited by charlestek; 02-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
    Yeah, it is unfortunate that there can't be any consumer questions in this forum.

My original question is are there any other forum boards that allow consumer questions.

No one has answered that.

I really am trying to get info on Varilux Physio Enhanced vs Hoyalux ID, the best way would be to find a Hoya rep and find out who dispenses them. I'm trying to get that from the Hoya site. (Please don't give me any technical advice (it is not allowed)....)
    I answered it. The link I provided in my above post is for a thread that lists sites for consumers to visit..... Herein lies another problem: Even when an answer is given, it's ignored.

My next question would be: Have you tried running a search for the two lenses you're interested in here on this forum, and on, say Google? At the very least, visiting the website for each vendor will give you information on each lens.

The biggest problem with asking lens A vs. lens B questions is the answer will almost always depend on the patient (not to mention that most of the time, people will recommend lens C). There is no one lens that works for everyone. This is why sitting down with a professional and discussing your needs in relation to your glasses is so important. I could tell you which one I would pick based solely on what I know about each of the lenses, but that may not apply to your needs. And, of course, some people are simply more sensetive to differences in lens design than others. In addition, there is almost always a bias for/againt a particular vendor which is not always rational.

I guess we value everyone's viewpoint, more so than the people in the previous posts whom it seems, don't like me voicing opinons on a forum. I though that is what a forum is for?
    Yes, it's what a forum is for, just not this forum. If you look at the full title of this board it's "Optiboard: The Premier Online Community for Eyecare Professionals" and in Steve's signature it states "OptiBoard has been proudly server the Eyecare Community since 1995." In other words, it's specifically stated that this is for optical professionals and not the public.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One last thing; you are searching for an objective answer to an essentially subjective question. I wear personally one of the lenses you mention, and think it's the greatest lens so far. How do I know? Because I made up many pairs of different lenses and tried them. Ask me to exactly explain why one is better, and I'll read you the brochure, but the real answer is it just felt better. Oh, I've used an Amsler grid to analyze the fields, I've applied my many years in optics to developing a deeper answer, but the real answer is subjective. I couldn't give a rational answer in a forum like this. I'd have to see you, talk to you, know what Rx and frame size and configuration, how you work, observe your posture and movement; you would give me lots of other clues just by being there in front of me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just a thought...

Lets look at this from the perspective of what we can do, instead of what we can't.

charlestek,

A solution I can offer here is that we all pitch in and try to find a way for you to sit down with a solid, well-certified Optician in your area. My recommendation is to call a few Opticials in your area and verify that the Optician you are working with is seasoned and licensed. Because of your profession, I would suggest taking this extra step so you can find someone who is able to answer all of your questions.

Now, here is a little bit of advice I can give. Nothing raises the hackles of a good Optician like an engineer and a sardonic, "I'm smarter than you" approach will do nothing to sweeten the mood of the person trying to help you. I can promise you that an Optical license is not given away and that you may have to concede to the fact that the person you find might actually be more knowledgable than yourself when it comes to the science of Optics.

I hope this puts a postive light on our reluctance to offer online support but the the "computer" (i.e. the human brain) we work with is an unfathomable mystery compared to the computers you deal with everyday. I hope your needs are met and that you have a pleasant experience that leads to a long-term relationship with a great Optician!

Cheers! :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Optician who is trained in both lenses

I googled first before I tried to ask a question. The Hoya site does not list any contact info, nor does it offer info for finding a dispensing optician.

I understand the application of the lens depends on the prescription, etc. The problem is to find an optician who is trained in dispensing both lenses, or even better a few lines of lenses. If Hoya does not make it easy to find an optician, I have my first hurdle.

And you are presuming a lot that a single optician is a good person to talk to. The optician who did my prescription told me he doesn't think any wide field lens is particularly better than a normal narrow filed lens.

That is what a forum is good for, to get lots of opinions, form a consensus and then investigate it further. Not this forum, I understand.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Charles, as you've been told repeatedly, this is NOT a consumer forum. It is a forum for optical professionals ONLY. As you've been told repeatedly, try to find a local optician with experience in what you are looking for.

Occupation
    However, there have been numerous requests by consumers here for recommendations for a good Optician in XZY area, which are perfectly fine. I think we've beaten the dead horse enough.

So, anyone here know of someone good they would recommend in the Boston area?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know several people in the Boston area and will be happy to respond to a request by PM......Unless he feels like taking a short drive to the Cape , in which case, I can deliver the gospel in person.
    Lord Byron

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    hcjilson, Thanks, I did send you a pm. Thanks for sticking your neck out.

WFruit, I did look through your links. None of them are to any other optical forums. The only site that has an optician finder http://www.eyetopics.com/articles/19...Optometry.html, uses a search that is ad funded and returns no results:
    Search Results
    Your search for Nashua New Hampshire Optometrist revealed no matches. Try to use more or different keywords

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've replied to the PM as best I could. I've given you 2 references in the Boston Area and one in Nashua. Your original post said nothing about insurance plans (that I recall)I assume you have had your eyes examined and that you were looking for lens advice. Its safe to say you've got a good start on your quest but the insurance thing is another example of trying to answer a question without all the information. Good luck!
    Lord Byron

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Well I can't really say anything about insurance plans on this forum. I'm supposed to have sought this forum so I can have casual conversations with opticians :-)
    So too bad the Patriots lost in the semi's. What a colossal melt-down.
    How is the weather on the cape?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See PM, I am closing this thread now due to the fact it's run its course.
    Lord Byron

Thread Information