Thread: Turning my back on the dark side...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Turning my back on the dark side...

Over the past couple of months, many of you have made some very convincing arguments about the issues of internet eyewear. I've been listening and passing along information to my financial partners.

We are in the process of converting our on-line prescription ordering system into an ECP-only portal, so that only non-prescription eyewear can be ordered by the general public. It's going to take some time to get it right, so don't be looking for an immediate change over LOL.

That said, as an ECP, what kind of log-in process would you be comfortable with for placing Rx orders for my specialty products online? Name or Acct Number & Password? Authorized persons? Let me know what you think!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Most of the time I think you will be fine with a User Name and Password defined by the user. Account numbers are one thing that's not wise to post or require for login. These can be targets for internet thieves.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Good point, thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    congratulations :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An automatic email order confirmation is also a nice feature, especially if it includes a tracking/invoice number!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Crier Noooooo

*sigh* Another independent online company forced out by the B&M monopoly....when will it end......

Please note, this is one of those "parody, irony, joke" post things that you sometimes hear about. If I were speaking to you, you'd get it immediately, but since this is written, I thought I'd better make sure. Have a nice day.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    ROFL!! No worries, Bill, just think of it as returning to my roots!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or.....retouching your roots!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Here is what I posted on my blog and website this morning:

Over the last six months, I’ve had many a long discussion with fellow ECP (eye care providers): opticians, dispensers, OD’s and MD’s. They are all supportive of the fact that we offer specialized protective eyewear for glassworking, but are seriously concerned about the ability of the patient (you) to order these medical devices online without the support that the ECP can and does provide.

Their major issue is with the correct pupillary distance measurements as well as segment heights and proper fitting. I’ve been debating what to do with my management team and the solution appears to be to set up a “portal” for the ECP to order your spectacles online for you and have them delivered to them for proper dispensing and fitting. Over the next couple of weeks I will be phasing in the new system for ECP direct orders and cutting off retail sales of prescription eyewear.

If you currently do not have an ECP in your area, please let me know via e-mail ( m.aurelius@auralens.com ) and I will make inquiries for you, and get you names of available ECP’s in your area.

Thread Information