Thread: Tint

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tint

Trying to find out the affect a brown 3 lens has on vision acuity. I looked up tinted lenses in System for Opthalmic Dispening and it only gave visual acuity for a pink lens and night driving sayd it is 20/40.I have a guy who wants darker lenses. I just want to be able to tell him why I cannot make them any darker.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have you considered taking a demo lens or a scrap lens of some kind and tinting it to brown-3 and then actually demonstrating how unsuitable it would be to the patient?

Just a thought ...

Invest in a nighttime driving simulator for your patients ... :hammer:
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-28-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I have a guy who wants darker lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post

.........................night driving sayd it is 20/40.I have a guy who wants darker lenses. I just want to be able to tell him why I cannot make them any darker.

Replace the light switch in a windowless room with a dimmer and get the room dark for a good night test demonstration.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you able to take the patient into the exam room and turn the lights down, and have him try to read something? All you'd have to do is put a non-rx sun on and look at a poster or something.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A Brown 3 lens filters aproximately 88% of visible light allowing aprox 12% of light to pass through to the eye. the interesting part to brown is its ability to band some colors and suppress others. So, red and green (650nm and 510nm respectively) ar seen by the viewer as 'enhanced'. We would call that a banding effect, the colors are now 'popping' great certainly if your driving and fall colors are certainly enhanced. The wave lengths of 450-480nm are filtered out! This is color supression and is often times refferd to as a nedymnium property. This filtering and banding can be enhanced further with the addition of red (or Pink) to a brown based lens. This color mixing would result in a lens similar to a Serengetti Driver or the Maui Rose lens. Interestingly, the same phenomema of color banding and supression aslo occurs in a G-15 lens, albeit to a lesser extent. How cool is that! Grey lenses of course remove the most light allowing typically 10% of light to pass and effect color the least. The concern to grey lenses as they are commonly blue based and can, in some instances, cause a hazing effect. This hazing effect is due to the human eye having fewer blue color receptors than red and green. If you want to see this all in action simply shine a light through a glass prism to create a color spectrum, then hold a colored lens ray of light.

As far as making the lens darker than Brown 3, if its a tinted lens, I'd be comfortable going all the way out to a Glacier Glass (5% transmition) although thats a mighty dark lens. If this person wants to use these for night driving I'd site safety concerns and refuse.

If you want a site to play with what the light transmission is on which color, Oakley has a nice page for this here.

Hope this all helps if you need more let me know. I can drone on and on when it comes to this.

KC
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rēvo *used* to have one of the best website demonstrations of spectrum banding with their own lenses - at least until the huge bloated disgusting and horrible monster that is Luxottica bought them, and utterly slaughtered the brand outright!!! There - did I use the appropriate amount of venom as all the E haters do? Just wanna know I can still fit in around here! HAHAHA :hammer::shiner:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    A Brown 3 lens filters aproximately 88% of visible light allowing aprox 12% of light to pass through to the eye. the interesting part to brown is its ability to band some colors and suppress others. So, red and green (650nm and 510nm respectively) ar seen by the viewer as 'enhanced'. We would call that a banding effect, the colors are now 'popping' great certainly if your driving and fall colors are certainly enhanced. The wave lengths of 450-480nm are filtered out! This is color supression and is often times refferd to as a nedymnium property. This filtering and banding can be enhanced further with the addition of red (or Pink) to a brown based lens. This color mixing would result in a lens similar to a Serengetti Driver or the Maui Rose lens. Interestingly, the same phenomema of color banding and supression aslo occurs in a G-15 lens, albeit to a lesser extent. How cool is that! Grey lenses of course remove the most light allowing typically 10% of light to pass and effect color the least. The concern to grey lenses as they are commonly blue based and can, in some instances, cause a hazing effect. This hazing effect is due to the human eye having fewer blue color receptors than red and green. If you want to see this all in action simply shine a light through a glass prism to create a color spectrum, then hold a colored lens ray of light.

As far as making the lens darker than Brown 3, if its a tinted lens, I'd be comfortable going all the way out to a Glacier Glass (5% transmition) although thats a mighty dark lens. If this person wants to use these for night driving I'd site safety concerns and refuse.

If you want a site to play with what the light transmission is on which color, Oakley has a nice page for this here.

Hope this all helps if you need more let me know. I can drone on and on when it comes to this.

KC
    This is the best post. I learned a lot reading it. Thank you. I don't remember in my basic optics class anything so straight forward as to why brown and grey are different (other than the obvious). Thanks again!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post

KC

That is what I needed to know. Thank you very much.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optichampus has some excellent information and charts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy to help.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    This is the best post. I learned a lot reading it. Thank you. I don't remember in my basic optics class anything so straight forward as to why brown and grey are different (other than the obvious). Thanks again!

Here's another thread discussing similar issues.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...027#post371027
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information