Thread: On Line Optical now also in politics.....................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper On Line Optical now also in politics.....................

Critics question optics of endorsement

Jonathan Fowlie, Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hardy agreed. "We've had direct experience with Kevin's leadership and, quite frankly, we think he's done a good job," he said in an interview Friday.
    "We have no qualms about saying we appreciate that Kevin Falcon is a responsible guy who has made change that has helped our business, and we think he's a good choice for leader."
    Hardy would not say how many people received his email, saying only that it went to about 10 per cent of the company's British Columbia customers, which he characterized as being "more than hundreds."
    "It went to a subset of people we thought would be interested, primarily people who bought glasses or contacts and had a good experience with our company," he said.
    "We do message our customers from time to time on things we think should be important to them."
    jfowlie@vancouversun.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper On Line Message to customers January 22................................

Critics question optics of endorsement

Jonathan Fowlie, Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, January 22, 2011

The president of a company that benefited from controversial legislation introduced by Kevin Falcon while he was minister of health has sent an email to his customers urging them to join the B.C. Liberal Party, and to help make Falcon B.C.'s next premier.

"Thanks to legislation introduced by the BC Liberal Party last year, the doors have been opened to competition in our industry, dramatically reducing the price of contact lenses," Roger Hardy, founder and CEO of Clearly Contacts, wrote in an email to some of his customers Thursday.
    "Right now, B.C. needs experienced management and leadership at the top. We need fresh and new energy and a willingness to challenge the status quo and take steps to ensure that this province leads Canada in the 21st century," he added.

Liberal leadership candidate Kevin Falcon introduced legislation as health minister that eased access to glasses and contact lenses.

"Kevin Falcon is a candidate with experience and a willingness to make changes that require leadership, and benefit all British Columbians."
    The message drew immediate criticism from newly named interim New Democratic Party leader Dawn Black.
    "It's completely inappropriate," Black said Friday.

"[Falcon] made the changes in the legislation that benefited Clearly Contacts, and now the question is who was he putting those changes through for, on whose behalf?" she added.
    "It calls into question the integrity of the past minister of health -- the leadership candidate -- Kevin Falcon, and if he does have integrity, I really believe he will ask Clearly Contacts to rescind this email."

The legislation in question came into effect last May, giving people easier and cheaper access to prescription glasses and contact lenses.

Under the new rules, healthy adults between 19 and 65 can replace existing prescriptions without consulting a medical doctor or having a comprehensive eye health exam. People can also order glasses or contacts online without having to provide a copy of their prescriptions.
    Both changes have been advantageous to Hardy's business, which sells contacts and glasses over the Internet.

The legislative changes had detractors, however, with organizations such as the British Columbia Association of Optometrists calling them reckless and saying they would compromise eye health throughout the province.

"The regressive regulations were put in place to benefit online businesses such as Clearly Contacts. To best protect the eye health of consumers, the regulations should be reversed, so B.C. is aligned with every other jurisdiction in North America," said Dr. Antoinette Dumalo, president of the British Columbia Association of Optometrists.

On Friday, Falcon said he stands by the legislative changes and sees no problem with Hardy's email.

"If they [Clearly Contacts] want to support me and encourage their suppliers or customers or whoever else to vote for me, they have every right to do so and I thank them for that," said Falcon, adding he did not speak to the company about the endorsement.

"I am trying to build support everywhere I can, and if people are enthusiastically supporting my candidacy I'm proud of that. They know that if I am successful, I will be a leader that is going to be encouraging economic growth and encouraging the growth of businesses right across the province," he added.

Thread Information