Thread: I'm curious....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm curious....

It seems to me that the "answer" to the internet eyewear problem is to educate the patient. But I wonder if this is really a solution? We educate the public on the dangers of smoking, but it doesn't stop them. What say you all?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think it's going to matter, unfortunately. Coincidentally, I just had someone walk in (not a patient in the office) to look at glasses. She kept asking what brand this frame is, what brand that frame was, I only want brand name frames blah blah blah. So she go upset because we don't carry Prada or Gucci and said "I'm not going to get glasses here...I'll just get them online". Well, I go into my explanation on the cons of purchasing eye wear online..do you think it mattered to her? Absolutely not. All she cared about was getting a Gucci frame for $2.34 online..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One more reason not to carry mass produced brand names.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In short...no.

I think generally when we refer to "education," we are referring to throwing facts at someone, and people aren't always concerned with facts. I've said it before that online shoppers are not our patients, and I stand by that statement.

The answer to the internet "problem" is actually to train and educate ourselves. If we are not skilled and responsive to consumer needs, we will perish. That means streamlining our services, updating our products, and being skilled when it comes to hands on work and interpersonal communications. Eventually, the online consumer is faced with the reality that the online community isn't solving all of their problems and so they must seek a professional. In the meantime, we need to be providing the best products, services and care to the people who ARE our patients.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In this business educate means sell up!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find the issue is really setting yourself apart.

Think about things you can do that online stores cannot:

Carry things that are not mass produced and easily found online.

Provide services that online opticals cannot. IE: i always stress free adjustments, tune ups and cleaning supplies.

Make your patient comfortable and happy so they will have no need to turn to online purchases.

Thank you cards, small gifts for good purchases.

And yes, your suggestion that Education is key. I agree with that.

I am not too worried about online sales sure I'll lose a few but honestly... I have things and provide a service that no online seller can.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess what I'm asking is, do we over educate people? I'm not saying we take their choices away, but how many options should we give them? Many times after giving the shpeal (shpeel? schpeal?) I've gotten the deer in the headlights look. I'm not sure if that's just not saying much about me, or if I'm giving them too many options - over educating them?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    In short...no.

I think generally when we refer to "education," we are referring to throwing facts at someone, and people aren't always concerned with facts. I've said it before that online shoppers are not our patients, and I stand by that statement.

The answer to the internet "problem" is actually to train and educate ourselves. If we are not skilled and responsive to consumer needs, we will perish. That means streamlining our services, updating our products, and being skilled when it comes to hands on work and interpersonal communications. Eventually, the online consumer is faced with the reality that the online community isn't solving all of their problems and so they must seek a professional. In the meantime, we need to be providing the best products, services and care to the people who ARE our patients.
    Yes, I agree. However, I think patient education is worthwhile as well. As in Keri's example there are some people you just can't reach. But, which would you rather have walk in, a patient who is grumpy and demands help with their internet glasses, or a patient that walks in and says "I got these off the interent, and you were right, it was a bad idea. Please help me."

What I'm worried about are the internet sellers who actually make a good pair of glasses. Of course they will need a final, in person fitting, but if the glasses are correct optically and well made in all other respects, then what do we have to complain about? What are you going to say when a patient walks in and says "These are sliding down my nose (which can happen no matter where they bought the glasses), can you adjust them? I got them online and they've been the best pair I've had in a while. I can see great with them and I love the way they look."
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is, do we over educate people? I'm not saying we take their choices away, but how many options should we give them? Many times after giving the shpeal (shpeel? schpeal?) I've gotten the deer in the headlights look. I'm not sure if that's just not saying much about me, or if I'm giving them too many options - over educating them?
    The answer to that one is that it's going to depend on the patient. Some like lots of options, some like few, and some just like you to decide for them.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah...that kind of education. Yes, you are offering them to much. I do not offer good, better, best, and I don't offer options. I tell a patient what they should get and why, and make adjustments if I misunderstood a need.

Example: A presbyopic patient comes in who doesn't do anything but watch tv, read a little, and clean house. I'd tell them that my customized progressive gives them precise vision correction in a design that meets their needs, AR will get more light to their eyes increasing comfort and acuity, and transition lenses will make going outside more comfortable by mimicking their iris and controlling the amount of light getting in to their eyes. These lenses will cost x dollars. Is there anything else you need today?

If cost is an issue, then we revisit the "options," of which the only "option" is transitions, since free-form come with AR. Maybe tweak the material, depending on frame and Rx, and then if they are simply to expensive, then I'll start educating about different lens designs, etc. Usually, though, a patient will go with the recommendations originally given because they simply make sense. They aren't ill-intentioned, over priced "add-ons" of old for their glasses. They are reasonably priced visual solutions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't give many choices. When they give me the RX I already have an idea what they need.

We go to frames, I pick a lens give them a price and move on.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

The one that really gets to me is when I get the Rx from the pt or the Dr. I start with the frame because that is just what the majority of the Pt's want. Or how much will this cost me? I tell them well lets make some choices then I can give you a exact price. Take them by the hand walk them over the the frame board and show them where the frames are they can select from, AND THEY FRIGGING STAND THERE LIKE THEY ARE OVERWHELMED!:hammer: I invite them to feel free to pick up the frames and try them on, sometimes even putting a frame on the person, and then its the deer in the headlights look I get. I step away a moment and let them know I'm going to start paper work. And they follow me. GERRRRRRRRR.:angry: Is this how people behave when they get dressed in the morning? Go buy a pair of shoes, a purse, a new shirt? Apples or Oranges at the grocery store. Do I go to the bathroom now or later? Should I leave for the Dr's office at 3:00 or 3:15. Can someone please tell me why, oh why can people not make a choice when they know before hand that is what is needed next. Or am I just expecting to much from the majority of the world? Bet if you **** them off they will make some choices right quick like......dont like you gimmie my Rx I'm outta here.

OK there I feel better now. On with my Monday.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    The one that really gets to me is when I get the Rx from the pt or the Dr. I start with the frame because that is just what the majority of the Pt's want. Or how much will this cost me? I tell them well lets make some choices then I can give you a exact price. Take them by the hand walk them over the the frame board and show them where the frames are they can select from, AND THEY FRIGGING STAND THERE LIKE THEY ARE OVERWHELMED!:hammer: I invite them to feel free to pick up the frames and try them on, sometimes even putting a frame on the person, and then its the deer in the headlights look I get. I step away a moment and let them know I'm going to start paper work. And they follow me. GERRRRRRRRR.:angry: Is this how people behave when they get dressed in the morning? Go buy a pair of shoes, a purse, a new shirt? Apples or Oranges at the grocery store. Do I go to the bathroom now or later? Should I leave for the Dr's office at 3:00 or 3:15. Can someone please tell me why, oh why can people not make a choice when they know before hand that is what is needed next. Or am I just expecting to much from the majority of the world? Bet if you **** them off they will make some choices right quick like......dont like you gimmie my Rx I'm outta here.

OK there I feel better now. On with my Monday.
    Perhaps they are overwhelmed. Part of our training and education as Opticians involves helping the patient select a frame that will complement his or her best features and/or minimize the rest. That being said, discussing lens features and benefits and designing a lens product to fit both needs and wants is paramount and should be the FIRST step in the entire process. It's counter-productive to select a frame without know what lenses are needed and what frame options lend themselves to those options.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    What I'm worried about are the internet sellers who actually make a good pair of glasses. Of course they will need a final, in person fitting, but if the glasses are correct optically and well made in all other respects, then what do we have to complain about? What are you going to say when a patient walks in and says "These are sliding down my nose (which can happen no matter where they bought the glasses), can you adjust them? I got them online and they've been the best pair I've had in a while. I can see great with them and I love the way they look."
    I have a relative who purchased online and they are the BEST pair and ONLY pair that ever did exactly what he wanted them to. He lives long distance is the reason he has never bought from me, but I explained to him how I could not only meet is needs, but exceed his expectations while alleviating some other issues he has with glasses. He would like to get a pair from me if he can come see me.

This is how you answer that patient:

"Great, I'm glad they work for you. If you ever want the best vision achievable though, then come see me. Go ahead, look at the sign across the street. Looks good, right? Now keep looking over there and turn your head. It's getting less clear now, right? I can allow you to see the sign as good out the side as you can from the front, plus give you state of the art lens treatments that are backed by the manufacturer for 2 years AND you don't even have to go without your glasses if there is a problem."

Customized free-form is where independents HAVE to go, I think.

Thread Information