Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VSP GLOBAL ANNOUNCES ITS ONLINE OPTICAL STORE, eyeconic.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think what we have here is a contrarian, not a mole.

ODs sometimes have too much mindpower that they're not investing wisely, and post around to blow off some steam.

(Pot----> Kettle :()

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've really gotten a chuckle out of this thread. 1st off, I agree with 1320. Offices take VSP, yet do nothing but complain about it! Do you really think they or any vision plan is out for anybody but themselves? Why should they include member offices that don't carry their products (Marchon, Altair, ect)? If you don't have an account with them (or the minimums in their certain lines) how can they refer clients to your office to purchase said frames? Do you think they should promote Lux stuff too? Com'on man..

VSP is doing what EVERY supplier out there is/or will be doing...pimpin' online. And just like Big E, you folks that accept their plan (and continue to do so..) made them what they are today. I've got offices all around me that say they would be out of business if not for VSP, yet right next to them I've ran very successful optical practices, both OD and multi MD that accept no vision plans.

Until offices wise up and learn how to compete without these plans they will remain pawns, moved and controlled by the same.

Lastly, I could care less who 1320 is. No real name gives his statements no weight? 98% of the posters here don't use their real names for many reasons, namely a cushion from the crazies out there. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about with VSP, good enough for me.

So as not to lose my credibility, I'll sign off..

George Karber ABOC-AC

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boy...I sure missed a bit in this thread. Does the board stop emailing after a few postings have been made?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to say I agree with the anonymous OD...to an extent. However, let me qualify that by explaining what I'm agreeing to:

- VSP, in providing products/services to its member practices can benefit the member practices, even though turning a profit for itself.

- VSP can be a partner to a practice, elevating that practice to a higher level, while still making a lot of money for itself.

Let me explain:

We have a laboratory in these parts that while providing great lenses and treatments, also "partners" with its clients to help build the practices. They provide rebates, incentives, staff training, marketing (online and print) services, etc. You buy the services through the lab, and then if you do enough work in the given time period, you are credited toward the expenses, potentially eliminating the cost of the services.

While these wonderful services are helpful to some practices, they are utterly worthless to others. A practice might look at another practice and say "wow, they got tied up in those obligations with the lab, and now they are tied to that lab for a long time. Boy, the lab really sucked them in."

However, the practice taking advantage of the partnership is thinking "wow, it sure is great that this excellent lab is also providing these excellent services that I otherwise wouldn't have access to."

I think that is what has happened with VSP. No honest person can say that they make a living solely on the payments received by VSP for services. However, I think many people can say that they got to eat at some point because of the payments received by VSP. A strong, successful practice would look at the Altair/Marchon, and online retail as utter betrayal, because they see no value, and only greed on the part of VSP.

However, a weaker/growing practice sees these services/products of VSP as critical to their survival. No, the VSP reimbursements aren't but barely keeping anyone's lights turned on. However, the online retail service might help some low foot traffic practices stay in business, and the consignment frames offerings might help keep a low volume practice appealing to first time and existing patients.

Full disclosure: I am an optician in a private OD practice and I keep the practice fresh and appealing by using VSP frames consignment options. VSP accounts for ~ 40% of our appointments.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    LMAO...doing everything you can to avoid identifying yourself. Very good job. Only one problem: your credibility is now zero. And before you come back with "who cares about your opinion?" think carefully. I'm not the only one reading this forum and this thread. You've been asked outright several times now what your real name is and you go to great lengths to avoid giving it out. As Darby notes, even the most jaded reader is going to think that there can only be one reason: you are a shill for VSP, either an employee or board member, perhaps not even an OD.

We don't have a problem with spirited debates, we just would like the debate members to be upfront with who they are when asked.

I'm not afraid to identify myself with my real name, why are you?
    Holy cow is this how you treat everyone that has a different opinion than you? You really seem to be the one being a bully here and as far as I’m concerned it is you that have lost what credibility you had with me by acting so viciously towards 1320.
    Whether or not he is high up in VSP or is “even an OD” he is the first person I have seen that has 100 % supported the VSP side of any conversation and is willing to “take a beating” from everyone here just so he can tell you why he supports them, if you ask. But who has asked? Most everyone here has assumed and argued.
    And what does it matter if he tells you his name? Isn’t that the “fun” part of using a handle, you can say what you want, how you want to say it without feeling that there’s someone to answer too.
    I get it, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but come on man. Ease up a little.
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    LMAO...doing everything you can to avoid identifying yourself. Very good job. Only one problem: your credibility is now zero. And before you come back with "who cares about your opinion?" think carefully.
    So by YOUR stating that I claimed to be an expert on VSP (when as noted, I've never claimed any such thing) and now, reading minds and putting words in my mouth build credibility for you?

It's pretty obvious that you won't care, but IMO, you're losing credibility fast by doing both. Not to mention, you keep harping on finding out my name and claiming that alone and perhaps a Google Search will boost me to the top. I'm not sure if I should shake my head in disappointment or be flattered for that one. :p

I'm not the only one reading this forum and this thread. You've been asked outright several times now what your real name is and you go to great lengths to avoid giving it out. As Darby notes, even the most jaded reader is going to think that there can only be one reason: you are a shill for VSP, either an employee or board member, perhaps not even an OD.
    I have no reason to give you any of my personal information. In fact, you're so poor at influencing such a move that you're actions and tone only further confirm why I should not. You're rather aggressive, short sited and completely condescending to someone you don't even know. I certainly hope you are a tech and not someone who is customer facing. I say that as the one thing I've found internet boards like this do is amplify the true characteristics of people.

Perhaps you too should think twice about posting such things as I'm not the only one reading this either.
    :idea:

We don't have a problem with spirited debates, we just would like the debate members to be upfront with who they are when asked.
    I wouldn't call your contributions here in threads I'm involved in spirited nor debates. I would call them jaded aggressive attacks. I'm sure the entire board will thank you for speaking on their behalf though.

I'm not afraid to identify myself with my real name, why are you?
    Already clarified. Because of people like you.
    Last edited by racethe1320; 02-03-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks to those who understand where I'm coming from. I'm not here to falsely claim anything, hide anything or cause trouble. I just am passionate about certain aspects of my business just as everyone is and I enjoy looking at all sides to a conversation.

Todd - If that helps make a connection, so be it. That is my real name.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    Thanks to those who understand where I'm coming from. I'm not here to falsely claim anything, hide anything or cause trouble. I just am passionate about certain aspects of my business just as everyone is and I enjoy looking at all sides to a conversation.

Todd - If that helps make a connection, so be it. That is my real name.
    I understand, but then again I have not been called out for my 'real' name.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Vision Insurance's days are numbered. Why bother providing some costly complicated plan for people to sign up for when the industry is in a crash dive to see who can provide the crappiest product for the least amount of money? Who needs insurance for something that goes for $10 on-line??

Chris Beard, Optician, Medford, Oregon. And yes, we are VSP providers and I believe it's become like Obamacare. Shoved down our throats and stuck there.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Vision Insurance's days are numbered................................

Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post

Vision Insurance's days are numbered. Why bother providing some costly complicated plan for people to sign up for when the industry is in a crash dive to see who can provide the crappiest product for the least amount of money? Who needs insurance for something that goes for $10 on-line??

Chris Beard, Optician, Medford, Oregon. And yes, we are VSP providers and I believe it's become like Obamacare. Shoved down our throats and stuck there.

I vote this above quoted post to be the most valuable on this thread that has become another one that is ready to be closed down for obvious reasons.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow VSP, that proverbial slap to the optician's face stings a little....
    I don't work for a VSP provider, but I used to, and I HAVE VSP through my husband's job....I, for one, will NOT be ordering my CL's from "eyeconic.com"

Did anyone visit the site? I love how the very first model that I saw was wearing a pair of frames that were too tight on her face. That drives me crazy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait till they figure out how to do eye exams online.
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584 View Post
    Wow VSP, that proverbial slap to the optician's face stings a little....
    I don't work for a VSP provider, but I used to, and I HAVE VSP through my husband's job....I, for one, will NOT be ordering my CL's from "eyeconic.com"

Did anyone visit the site? I love how the very first model that I saw was wearing a pair of frames that were too tight on her face. That drives me crazy.
    All the frames are digitally "put on" the model's faces. You can SOOOOO tell they're not real, especially in the optical magazines. It really bugs me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    All that's happened is as they've grown as an organization they no longer meet the requirements to be tax exempt as set forth by the IRS.
    Size is not a qualification of whether an organization is tax exempt, its their practices that determine this.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post
    All the frames are digitally "put on" the model's faces. You can SOOOOO tell they're not real, especially in the optical magazines. It really bugs me.
    I know, I noticed that in 20/20, so annoying. Especially when they do a bad job of it, like the temples mysteriously disappearing into the model's hair! haha

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584 View Post
    I know, I noticed that in 20/20, so annoying. Especially when they do a bad job of it, like the temples mysteriously disappearing into the model's hair! haha
    It's even better when they slap a model on the front page of an optical magazine and have them wearing magically disappearing nose pads too..it's amazing!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm a small meaninless optical shop/lab but I can say I'm glad I dont deal with VSP. I said from the beggining, if I can make it without them I will be better off. Funny thing is, my OD clients that do deal with them---hate the SOB's, but they are stuck with them now!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, after reading this whole thread, I wonder what all of you are struggling with. Either you accept VSP and do the best you can with the payment and referrals you receive or you don't. I know plenty of opticians, that's right, opticians, that are doing really well with no support from any insurance companies. They just provide great service and personal attention and take it all to the bank. I have worked for a big practice that accepted VSP and we got along just fine. I don't think they are the end of all things optical. Pay attention to your business, provide outstanding service and it will all work out. Stop focusing on VSP and focus on your business. I'm sorry if you are offended by this, but I just felt it had to be said.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think anyone is struggling with anything. People are discussing what VSP is doing...maybe I missed something but that's what I see it as. You must be such an amazing Optician, that's right, Optician, that you don't have to worry about any of this and it doesn't pertain to you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think anyone is struggling with anything. People are discussing what VSP is doing...maybe I missed something but that's what I see it as. You must be such an amazing Optician, that's right, Optician, that you don't have to worry about any of this and it doesn't pertain to you.
    Once again, I don't intend to offend any of you. Yes I am an Optician, but I have also worked as a Practice Manager, so I have worked with and around VSP and I believe that regardless of what insuranceyou accept or don't accept, the succes of your business rests with you ability and service. I don't want to get into a whole optician vs whatever thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's hard to offend me :bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You must be such an amazing Optician, that's right, Optician, that you don't have to worry about any of this and it doesn't pertain to you.
    why would you say VSP and Opticians don't pertain to one another?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by partyoptician View Post
    I'm a small meaninless optical shop/lab but I can say I'm glad I dont deal with VSP. I said from the beggining, if I can make it without them I will be better off. Funny thing is, my OD clients that do deal with them---hate the SOB's, but they are stuck with them now!!
    So what exactly do they say they hate about VSP? How about some details?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what exactly do they say they hate about VSP? How about some details?
    Part of it is very simple. VSP had pledged their undying support for the independent and then threw them under the bus ie: non OD owned and operated chains and now online sales.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Part of it is very simple. VSP had pledged their undying support for the independent and then threw them under the bus ie: non OD owned and operated chains and now online sales.
    So let's play that out. Are you saying that a few larger practices/chains are impacting 28k practices? I don't get the whole whoa-is me attitude. What impact are those whining about making on their world. $hit only happens to you when you don't make it happen for yourself. Change or die is the phrase in business. VSP is evolving and I absolutely disagree that they are not continuing to support private practice. Please share more details as to how they are not and perhap how you see these larger chains impacting the world.

Also, the whole online sales pieces is about the biggest and most overblown drama on here thus far. No real details are available, so no one can even comment on it being negative.

I look forward to your reply.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    VSP is evolving and I absolutely disagree that they are not continuing to support private practice. Please share more details as to how they are not and perhap how you see these larger chains impacting the world.
    Your original question was why do some hate VSP not what impact their decisions have on the world. When VSP was a network closed to large chains and non doctor owned corporations (it was in the provider contract very specifically) the independent recieved more patients via VSP. Not saying they do not support private practice but they do not support them exclusively any longer. It was a bit of a slap in the face is all.

Thread Information