Thread: Surfacing Life-Rx...photochromic poly

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Surfacing Life-Rx...photochromic poly

My surfacing software is defaulting to a 2.5 edge thickness on plus lenses with this material, which results in a pretty ugly lens. It defaults to this even on a full metal or zyl frame. I think this is too thick even for a drill job. Is this due to the delaminating problem I've heard about (but never seen)? Is this trying to keep the eventual lens bevel at least 1 mm away from the laminate?

I can change the setting, I'm just wondering why the previous operators had it set to 2.5mm. I think 1.8 should be fine??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Use Trivex flattops instead.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You desreve what you get.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Use Trivex flattops instead.
    Not just on flattops though...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You desreve what you get.
    Not quite sure how to take this...

You don't like Life Rx,...or you don't like me?

Discussion about the former would be welcome.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you've ever seen any of them delaminated, you'll know what we mean. Had one in a few weeks ago - you could literally peel the front of the lens off. Customer had gotten them elsewhere in a drill mount so she was perfect for conversion to Trivex.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you've ever seen any of them delaminated, you'll know what we mean. Had one in a few weeks ago - you could literally peel the front of the lens off. Customer had gotten them elsewhere in a drill mount so she was perfect for conversion to Trivex.
    Since we are relatively new to surfacing, we have not seen any delaminating. And before, we never had occasion to use this Vision-Ease product...but I am told... that the problem has been licked. Are you still having the problem with new material?

But in regard to the fact that my software defaults to a higher edge thickness on plus for this material??? Trivex isn't going to help me reduce thickness.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I assume it's giving you extra thickness so as to not intrude on the laminations. There goes your thickness advantage of poly, and now it's heavier too and likely to fall apart after a year. Shouldn't groove it or drill it, I just can't think of a plus for it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I assume it's giving you extra thickness so as to not intrude on the laminations. There goes your thickness advantage of poly, and now it's heavier too and likely to fall apart after a year. Shouldn't groove it or drill it, I just can't think of a plus for it.
    I hear ya.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Not quite sure how to take this...

You don't like Life Rx,...or you don't like me?

Discussion about the former would be welcome.
    OH! NO! Sorry. It's poly I don't like. There are too many alternatives to this product.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Since we are relatively new to surfacing, we have not seen any delaminating. And before, we never had occasion to use this Vision-Ease product...but I am told... that the problem has been licked. Are you still having the problem with new material?

But in regard to the fact that my software defaults to a higher edge thickness on plus for this material??? Trivex isn't going to help me reduce thickness.

I also use the Life-RX Poly. Havent seen a delamination yet out of several hundred pair. As to the software thickness default. Did you check with the Company you bought software from to see if that is the actual default? I use Innovations and have gone into several labs where software either glitched to thicker setting or someone changed it to that setting because their generator was cutting thin and couldnt figure out how to correct that problem so they bandaided it through software manipulation. (Probably your previous operators)

I would suggest you check the settings for any material you run. Adjust it to where you want it. Then calibrate your equipment to that setting.

Personnally I have my poly plus lenses (including Life- RX) set to a 1.2mm edge with no problem.

Hope this helps

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylok View Post
    I also use the Life-RX Poly. Havent seen a delamination yet out of several hundred pair. As to the software thickness default. Did you check with the Company you bought software from to see if that is the actual default? I use Innovations and have gone into several labs where software either glitched to thicker setting or someone changed it to that setting because their generator was cutting thin and couldnt figure out how to correct that problem so they bandaided it through software manipulation. (Probably your previous operators)

I would suggest you check the settings for any material you run. Adjust it to where you want it. Then calibrate your equipment to that setting.

Personnally I have my poly plus lenses (including Life- RX) set to a 1.2mm edge with no problem.

Hope this helps
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice conantoptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    sompe people want to get a safer lens, with which I offer them 2.5mm ET.
    Normally We set to a 1.2mm for Poly lens. I have about 4 thousands of Life RX in stock...
    Hello, this is Kevin Wan! :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just say no to life rx. I know they've been saying it's fixed, but i still see a lot of it. Just last week had to do a redo from an over one year old lenses. switched to trivex. I can't imagine a thicker edge would even make a difference because I've seen these come back in all thicknesses, and all mountings. It has gotten better over the years, but I wouldn't want to deal with these lenses, that's for sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stay away from the higher plus on the LifeRX!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    what program is your software?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    VE's LifeRx Reactint lenses are the single biggest remake I see. Those things delaminate with such regularity that we often joke about them being 'lifetime' lenses as you just keep coming back and having them remade every few months! I know the general theme on this board is to hate on Essilor, but the vast majority of lens defects we have come from VE. Front coating flaws, carbon spots, base curves not matching packaging, and just today we had a left FT28 in a package for a right lens. More and more, it seems that VE and QC are mutually exclusive.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We are committed to proactively resolving any issues you experience with LifeRx and we stand behind every lens. Under our Partner Protection Program, all LifeRx lenses are covered by a two-year patient warranty. This warranty applies to any front side coating or film defects.

To speak with a Vision-Ease Lens representative about a replacement lens, please contact Sue Klein at 1-800- 328-3449 ext. 5301.

For additional help with technical questions or concerns please contact, Tim Nylen, at 763-506-9237.

Thank you for the space.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vision Ease Lens View Post
    We are committed to proactively resolving any issues you experience with LifeRx and we stand behind every lens. Under our Partner Protection Program, all LifeRx lenses are covered by a two-year patient warranty. This warranty applies to any front side coating or film defects.

To speak with a Vision-Ease Lens representative about a replacement lens, please contact Sue Klein at 1-800- 328-3449 ext. 5301.

For additional help with technical questions or concerns please contact, Tim Nylen, at 763-506-9237.

Thank you for the space.
    Good to know

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I've had to regrind a couple VE life-rx lenses at our store in the past few months that were about a year old. We actually swapped them over to Trans to be sure the consumer wouldn't have further problems.

FWIW, my -7.25 life-rx illumina (decent lens design) in a grooved metal Theo frame have begun to delaminate after a few years. My old school gradal top 1.67 trans NG4 w/ Cool Blue from 2004 in a different grooved metal Theo frame are still kickin' it.

Thread Information