Thread: Help...New equipment suggestions for lab

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Help...New equipment suggestions for lab

Hello all,
    Looking for recommendations for lab edging system for a new office. We are still fairly low volume, running about 50-60 jobs a month. I have looked at AIT systems as well as Gerber-Coburn and Santinelli. I do not need anything too fancy as this is our first edger and will not be doing drill mounts in house. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Contact VSI about a rebuilt Horizon 3 or santinelli 9000 www.patternless.com

Ask for Leo Hadley

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm assuming the plan is to grow that volume substantially. At 50-60 JPM, even if you purchased a used edger, from a breakeven perspective at this stage it's not worthwhile. When you reach 8-10 JPD (160-200 JPM), then it is time and would support both the edger and the payroll required for that dual employee/PT lab tech.

Be sure to factor in:

Time away from the floor from selling.
    Wages, necessary training and skillset for someone to operate efficiently.
    Lease or finance payment.
    Breakage (mess up that one pair of HD's with AR and you will be crying).
    Increased utility costs.
    Leap pad costs.

Sometimes it's just worth paying that extra $10.00 per pair to the lab to burden 100% of the costs and risk.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    how close is the nearest repair guy/gal?

Whatever brand has the closest service person matters most.

Harry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I prefer optronis patternless edgers, but you need lab software for them (DVI or similar)and a tracer and blocker Briot wet cut systems are pretty much stand alone with a tracer and blocker built in. On 1 6es I can run 80+ jobs a day on a briot I have run about 60

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    I'm assuming the plan is to grow that volume substantially. At 50-60 JPM, even if you purchased a used edger, from a breakeven perspective at this stage it's not worthwhile. When you reach 8-10 JPD (160-200 JPM), then it is time and would support both the edger and the payroll required for that dual employee/PT lab tech.

Be sure to factor in:

Time away from the floor from selling.
    Wages, necessary training and skillset for someone to operate efficiently.
    Lease or finance payment.
    Breakage (mess up that one pair of HD's with AR and you will be crying).
    Increased utility costs.
    Leap pad costs.

Sometimes it's just worth paying that extra $10.00 per pair to the lab to burden 100% of the costs and risk.
    +1

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would agree that paying the lab an additional $10 per job would be fine if thats all it was costing however we could save at the volume we're at now about $900-$1000 a month. We opened just this last September and I am the primary optician and I also have a part time optician 4 days a week. So we have the time to do the edging, wouldn't have to add an additional employee for the time being. I think it is worth the cost for a used machine to start cutting our jobs in house. I figured the cost of the equipment would be paid for by the 25-30% savings we will receive on our lab bill.

I am just looking for suggestions as to what manufacturer you think is best. I have looked at Nat Optronics but think I prefer wet edging vs. dry. Have received quotes from AIT and Gerber-Coburn, as well as Santinelli.

Occupation
    Since you're going to go, go with Santinelli. If you can afford it, I'd go with the ME-1200. If not, then the 9000. Yes, the 1200 does more than you currently need, but why not have the capability? Who knows what you might grow into.

Santinelli's support has always been excellent for us, both on the phone and in person.

And hooray for you for preferring wet over dry edging (I HATE dry edgers. Personal prejudice.)

Oh, and talk to VSI (www.patternless.com). They usually have awesome deals on used edgers and they have EXCELLENT support as well.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks,
    I'll look more into Santinelli. Do you know if the support at VSI is as good as Santinelli directly?

OptiBoard Apprentice conantoptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    how close is the nearest repair guy/gal?

Whatever brand has the closest service person matters most.

Harry
    Agreed. I used to work for NIDEK, and I know it. A service is very very important; and the machinses at the same price lever, almost the same.
    Hello, this is Kevin Wan! :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by conantoptics View Post
    Agreed. I used to work for NIDEK, and I know it. A service is very very important; and the machinses at the same price lever, almost the same.
    It looks like VSI is in Florida and I am in California. Anyone know of any suppliers out here on the West Coast?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliOptician View Post
    It looks like VSI is in Florida and I am in California. Anyone know of any suppliers out here on the West Coast?
    Not as good as VSI is. You might try http://usedopti.ipower.com/Home.html

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wave This is what you need

I have worked and used every brand off edgers out there. I personally think that the Sentinelli edger is by far the best. It needs very little maintenance and keeps size and axis perfect for a very long time. An occasional wheel dressing and that's it. They are a little more expensive than others but they are worth the extras $.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliOptician View Post
    Thanks,
    I'll look more into Santinelli. Do you know if the support at VSI is as good as Santinelli directly?
    VSI support is better and for lifetime at no charge, VSI even develops replacement parts for equipment they sell when the oem manufacturer discontinues a machine. (ie Santinelli 7070)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Santinelli gives lifetime support as well. You will also have access to a local person or persons for on-site service, if ever needed. Keep in mind that the older refurbished machines were not designed for today's A/R coatings and materials. I recommend you try the edger for a week or 10 days before you buy it. Make sure you are getting exactly what you need! Santinelli will let you try their systems at no charge for 10 days!

Thread Information