Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad weather

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bad weather

I was wondering how different offices handled bad weather.Do you close up shop when you get snow or freezing rain?If so how much snow?If your office is closed do you still pay your employees? I know one of the main reasons to close is just because patients don't tend to show up.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I was wondering how different offices handled bad weather.Do you close up shop when you get snow or freezing rain?If so how much snow?If your office is closed do you still pay your employees? I know one of the main reasons to close is just because patients don't tend to show up.
    Well, I learned just this past week that the OD I work for...never closes. Even when we had a few blizzards, freezing rain, etc..
    When we just got 10 inches of snow a few weeks ago from Sunday-Monday, she didn't close. The office I worked at previous, had closed when it was really bad and no we did not get paid.
    Last edited by NeGlassesGirl27; 01-18-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Years ago when I worked in New Hampshire and Maine we never closed. Nobody closed and while we would encounter a few no-shows it was usually business as usual. Now, first day of hunting and fishing season were another matter - everyone closed except the head shop down the road that was run by a PETA member.

I guess a good policy today would be to close whenever the schools are closed. And,
    for crying out loud, pay the help.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Down heah you might as well close with just a rumor of snow, or ice or sleet. No one goes out except to the grocery store, which rapidly sells out of most essentials. Even if you work by appointment and have the books full, you won't see anyone.
    Even if the bad weather is just supposed to last one day, the people stay home and the grocery stores sell out. People don't seem to realize that we are never frozen in for over three days and they always have enough in the pantry and freezer to survive at least two weeks.
    And yes, I ment just rumors.
    The schools close. State offices close. One of our largest agencies closed with our last snow rumor because the state agency head lived 30 miles from his office. He didn't want to appear to be the wimp he was so he closed all the agency offices state wide. The harware stores sell out of kerosene, generators, etc. God only knows what would happen in the South if we really had a Winter.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 01-18-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Mo ta say

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, up until that last paragraph I thought I might have you beat.

The high school I went to was boarding academy, so we lived there. Plus almost every teacher lived on "faculty lane" which was on school property less than 1/4 mile away from the Administration building. Yeah we got 2 inches of snow once and we got closed. We LIVED there, and we closed. But even with that, I think your story wins.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here in Florida when a hurricane comes through we use power as our guide. If the power is on at the office and the roads are clear then you are expected to be there. The only thing that overrides that is if the authority's are telling you to stay home and off the roads. Cause when the national guard comes to town they can be kinda trigger happy.:drop:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Up here all I have to do is look at the moose. If he is shivering I stay home, if he is snow covered I stay home. Otherwise I ski the 3 1/2 blocks to the lab.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We don't close. That's just pretty much it. If you make it to the building, you get paid. If not, then not.

As for schools, well, the superindendant for my kids' school district is from Alaska.....no snow days for them.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't mention that everyone except those on straight commission, gets paid. Even in the most skin flint doctor's office. Even if those few remaining independent offices that are barely making overhead.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were closed this last Monday and Tuesday due to a snow and ice storm. Now, being from Wisconsin, I am no stranger to driving in snow. I called and texted my friends and family back home and cackled with glee that it was Monday morning and I was still in my pjs! Tuesday came and I understood why school was closed. The entire city looked like a skating rink; I had never seen anything like it. We were all paid for our time off because the curcumstances were beyond our control.

When the city is not prepared to deal with bad weather then I'd rather stay off the roads and away from all the idiots on 4 wheels. I saw too many tire tracks on people's lawns in my neighborhood to want to venture out in Charlotte.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We close at the slightest amount of snow or ice. A few employees live close but many live half an hour or more a way. There are no snow plows in this area, either. Even if we stayed open no patients would show up.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    We were closed this last Monday and Tuesday due to a snow and ice storm. Now, being from Wisconsin, I am no stranger to driving in snow. I called and texted my friends and family back home and cackled with glee that it was Monday morning and I was still in my pjs! Tuesday came and I understood why school was closed. The entire city looked like a skating rink; I had never seen anything like it. We were all paid for our time off because the circumstances were beyond our control.

When the city is not prepared to deal with bad weather then I'd rather stay off the roads and away from all the idiots on 4 wheels. I saw too many tire tracks on people's lawns in my neighborhood to want to venture out in Charlotte.
    I was NOT a fan of you posting on my Facebook page that you had the day off :p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We're in NYC. We don't close for anything.

As far as the pay thing goes...if you come to work, you get paid.

The storm we had Dec 26, was the first time I can remember in 32 years that we didn't open up. We got 2 1/2 feet of snow. No buses or trains were running. Forget about cars...Myself and three other staff members walked two and a half miles to the office (no...we didn't walk barefoot) and started to dig out. The next day we opened.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Close the shop due to bad weather? We'd be closed half the winter. Michiganders are a hearty bunch, if it snows we just leave earlier, drive slower and drink more alcohol at the end of the day. The days the schools close due to weather are some of our best days. The only people who cancel their appointments are those who have somehow found themselves transplanted here from warmer climes and aren't quite sure what to make of this white stuff.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We stay open if we can, and work hard to reschedule patients if we need to close. Our doctor is very gracious about employees who don't feel safe to drive in bad weather. We don't get paid, though. Naturally, I drive a 4x4, so I'm generally here if we're open.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We just got our yearly snow storm here in east Texas. got about 8 inches of snow along with some freezing rain (I know, not much of anything, but we normally get much of nothing.) Our primary OD lives about 4.5 hours away, and the interstates from his place to the office were shut down with travelers stuck in their cars overnight, so he wasn't making it in. Our office, along with half of Texarkana was closed. I spent my day driving around in my Wrangler looking for trouble or a nice hole to drive through. I did manage to bust my lip on someone's rear windshield wiper while pushing them off some ice. No many here know how to handle ice, so its a little crazy on the roads. We may get some more snow tomorrow, but I don't think it will stick like last weeks stuff.
    Last edited by TheMacGyverGuy; 01-19-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling error

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We close if the weather gets snowy enough, say over six inches. If you made the effort to get to work, and we close, you get paid. If you stayed in your bed, you just took one of your personal days.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    We close if the weather gets snowy enough, say over six inches. If you made the effort to get to work, and we close, you get paid. If you stayed in your bed, you just took one of your personal days.
    By law if someone is scheduled and work closes due to natural causes the employees must be paid. Nyah.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    By law if someone is scheduled and work closes due to natural causes the employees must be paid. Nyah.
    Is that true for all states or certain ones?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    Is that true for all states or certain ones?
    Eww... Minnesota Wild?

Really?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did close down early today. We are getting crazy snow right now. I don't think my town is really equipped to deal with this much. Should make getting to work at 9 am interesting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    \

That does not sound right . Maybe if it was a natural disaster but even then.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Simply not true.

And as I said in an earlier post, in a recent snowstorm, three employees and myself walked to the office to get it cleaned up and ready for the next day. We shoveled, took care of phone calls and rescheduled some folks for another day, did some lab work, etc.. Those who stayed home should be paid? Ask the three employees that accompanied me that day.

Lest anyone think I am a hardnosed slave driver...those that came to work got a little extra...even though I did not earn a dime that day. Those that stayed home had a bank of Paid Time Off (PTO) that they could draw from. Everybody was happy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Eww... Minnesota Wild?

Really?
    Hey! They've been on a winning streak lately and they have Backstrom back so pfffffftt :bbg: :bbg: I do believe they beat the Flames last night as well :p

Miz, my fiance is a coach for a Nebraska Special Olympics team and they were supposed to have a Floor Hockey tournament in St. Joe but the whole thing was called off because of all the snow you guys were getting down there.

What you guys got..we were supposed to get. :p

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    Hey! They've been on a winning streak lately and they have Backstrom back so pfffffftt :bbg: :bbg: I do believe they beat the Flames last night as well :p

Miz, my fiance is a coach for a Nebraska Special Olympics team and they were supposed to have a Floor Hockey tournament in St. Joe but the whole thing was called off because of all the snow you guys were getting down there.

What you guys got..we were supposed to get. :p

Lots of snow, but it is very light and fluffy. My neighbour is using his leaf blower to blow it away.

I just do not get how Minnesota can get an expansion team and give it such a plain name with such awful colours.

Thread Information