Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I need my PD taken

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper sold the same lenses from SV to whatever under many different labels and names.......

Quote Originally Posted by cwinma View Post

.........................Also where I may have erred in my analysis of not being competitive, is that I assume online does not sell, for example,Valilux,Zeiss,Rodenstock etc and they only sell low end house brand lenses, those I will not touch.

Do not forget that the big optical companies have sold the same lenses from SV to whatever under many different labels and names as well as prices. The frame companies have done the same a certain frame might be a highly priced brand name frame and in another country the same frame is no brand at 3x less the selling price.
    Our corporations have very often and still are prostituting themselves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Kcount: The board of optometry would care a lot.
    Aren't they facing essentially the same thing from online companies that permit their "patients" to play Dr. by filling in the boxes on their websites?? Why don't the collective "Boards" yell foul about the crap being dished out every day to unsuspecting people all over?? Why would they scream about an associate in the field wanting more control over patient satisfaction by doing his/her own refractions but say nothing about the thousands who Rx themselves everyday? I don't get it.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try doing your own refractions, skipping the doctor as an independent optician. Trust me you'll get it. O.D.'s may want to be medical doctors nowdays, but they are still very protective of thier "exclusive license priviledges." Advertise the fact that you are doing so and you'll get the point a whole lot faster.
    I have had quite a few OD's and OMD's over the years tell me that if I could improve things visually to "go ahead and do it." And that they would sign off on it. But that's another situation from doing this without the good doctor's blessing.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Just asked this question by a customer and he accepted the fee for the service

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I'd be happy to take their measurements and provide prescription verification, as well as the first frame adjustment for a sixty five dollar fee. Maybe more if the sign has changed in my car mechanic's shop. Fee for service. It's what we all should be doing.
    Interesting that this thread has now appeared. With 37 years in the business this is the second request in 2 months. I charged $30 for the fee and the customer paid the fee.

Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By the way, how many of you do State Medicaid? The fee you get in return is minimal for measurements and a lifetime of adjustments.

Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    been there...got outta it.....nightmare

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had two people ask for their PD's Friday. Both thought it was part of their medical record. It is not. However, in the future I will refer them to go on line for instructions on how to take a PD. Also, there is a petition on line to have some government agency force PD's to be given to the consumer.

I find these individuals to be rude. As rude as those who ask for free medical advice, free legal advice, or save their McDonalds coffee cup for a free cup of coffee every morning. I don't care if they buy their glasses on line but why bother the people in the brick and mortor store.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get asked this question probably 2 times a month by people. i'd rather loose the sale than provide the measurements. i've also had people saying that what if they purchased the glasses here? would i give them the pd that time? my answer is always no. i know thats not good business. but in the long run i think i am protecting our business. i will try until i can anyways.. if everyone was doing that, then we would have a fewer amount of people going online to purchase their glasses.

didnt Britsh Columbia just passed a regulation that anyone giving out the prescription have to write down the PD measurements as well? if they did, and im thinking yes. we are in for some hard time here in Ontario as well becasue, its just a matter of time when that regulation comes here to bit in ur a_s

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yesterday, first time I had a person openly state they bought their glasses online. They cam in for a quick adjustment and nose pads. To answer your next question, yes I charged him. I also asked why he went on line and this was the interesting part. He stated it was selection, that he had shopped all over the place and couldn't find what he wanted for the price he wanted to pay (~$150-200). His biggest complaint? He bought the wrong size frame and they were tight (thus the adjustment) but he felt he would just keep them rather than send them back. Interesting that the hassel of the return over threw the comfort level. In the end I invited him to see me for the next pair, worse case I could make sure he clicked on the right pair.... for a charge of course.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Surely you all realize that you need a doctorate for you time to be valuable.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My car mechanic doesn't have a doctorate and he seems to be doing OK!
    Are things that different down South???
    Last edited by hcjilson; 01-30-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to captialize South! :):)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjatt View Post
    didnt Britsh Columbia just passed a regulation that anyone giving out the prescription have to write down the PD measurements as well? if they did, and im thinking yes. we are in for some hard time here in Ontario as well becasue, its just a matter of time when that regulation comes here to bit in ur a_s
    I don't think that will happen in Ontario. THe only reason OD's in BC were forced to provide a PD is that the Minister (Son of a B**** Kelvin Falcon) forced it by ministerial decree to benefit his friends at Clearly Contacts. Normally that kind of regulation would come down from the College, I wouldn't expect such a thing to happen in Ontario. Up until September I was practicing in BC and frankly the OD's still don't routinely provide a PD, the advice from the Ministry was to charge an extra fee, so unless they pay, no PD is taken (which is the situation 99% of the time).

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The whole online market has killed us. We have introduced a $25 fee to those that want JUST a PD. I mean c'mon! Really?! I love helping people but not giving them my time for nothing. I feel rotten for saying this, but I still have to feed my children. We have been trying to explain to people what is wrong with buying their eyeglasses online. Just like buying a new pair of shoes online, they may not fit or be made to the specs you may want. The crappy part is that you can't send those back for a refund or exchange. And the quality...hmph...cheap OTC reader frames. (Rant over)

Chrystal

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MV Eyes:
    You know damn well those frames supplied to Medicaid patients sho' ain't gonna last forever. Most of the ones I've dispensed in my state are good to make it to the car and out of the parking lot. Je'ss frames that cost 50 cents to two bucks?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't understand why you would charge a fee. Just say no! I tell ppl that the person making the glasses takes the measurement. The answer is NO. they cant raise my arm and put a ruler in it. No means NO. I have nothing to do with the glasses and I will NOT put my license on the line so an online retailer can make a sale. Real simple.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bravo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the problem? The online customer has been lost to you already. When he is standing in your store, he IS your customer. The simple solution to any successful business is to give the customer what the customer wants.
    Your argument is flawed.
    1. Your license will not be "on the line"
    2. You will be paid for your time which will be something novel in this industry.
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really think all boarders should reflect upon the idea that a customer who either has or will-be buying online is "lost" to you. It is no different than if they bought eyewear/sunwear on vacation, or at another local B&M practice, etc. If they're in you office, then that is NEVER a bad thing.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reflect, if you wish, but someone who buys glasses online, or somewhere else for that matter, is lost to you. (At least for the purchase in question.)
    Lord Byron

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vertical centration and the wearer's vertex distance are just as important as horizontal centration, and are probably more important than PDs in the lower powers.

I keep seeing this picture in my head when folks say all you need is an Rx and PD and you're good to go.

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone else notice we have wasted nine pages on this nonsense? One either does or does not supply this information.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shoulda included a poll.

Time well wasted. It's nice to listen to opinions!

Let's try for 10....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Surely you all realize that you need a doctorate for you time to be valuable.

Not quite.....You just need to charge what you feel your services are worth and what the market will bear....Considering that you specialize in CL fits that no one else either can or wants to do,you should be able to do very well....

If they dont want to pay....dont do it...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chryslace View Post
    The whole online market has killed us. We have introduced a $25 fee to those that want JUST a PD. I mean c'mon! Really?! I love helping people but not giving them my time for nothing. I feel rotten for saying this, but I still have to feed my children. We have been trying to explain to people what is wrong with buying their eyeglasses online. Just like buying a new pair of shoes online, they may not fit or be made to the specs you may want. The crappy part is that you can't send those back for a refund or exchange. And the quality...hmph...cheap OTC reader frames. (Rant over)

Chrystal

Why would you feel rotten?....We all got into this business to earn a living....If someone wants information ie pd ,to buy online, and you're willing to do it,just charge for it and get on with your day.....

If they have problems with the glasses,tell them you have no control over the manufacturing process and they need to discuss it with the supplier....If they would have purchased from you,you would have taken care of the problem...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    I had two people ask for their PD's Friday. Both thought it was part of their medical record. It is not. However, in the future I will refer them to go on line for instructions on how to take a PD. Also, there is a petition on line to have some government agency force PD's to be given to the consumer.

I find these individuals to be rude. As rude as those who ask for free medical advice, free legal advice, or save their McDonalds coffee cup for a free cup of coffee every morning. I don't care if they buy their glasses on line but why bother the people in the brick and mortor store.

Because the opticians have been suckers for giving away their expertise....If you dont value your time,why would you expect someone off the street to?

Thread Information