Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: I need my PD taken

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I need my PD taken

Have you had anyone come in for a PD only and how did you handle it ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell them that the optician will do that when they place there order.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mizikal View Post
    i tell them that the optician will do that when they place there order.
    AGree! How do think a plumber would react if you bought parts online and asked him to replace them for free? I think he would tell you where to put them.Come on, people, it's not like there is not a lot of knowledge needed to being an optician. Fezz and Johns , where are you ?
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 01-17-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd be happy to take their measurements and provide prescription verification, as well as the first frame adjustment for a sixty five dollar fee. Maybe more if the sign has changed in my car mechanic's shop. Fee for service. It's what we all should be doing.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interestingly, as a Licensed Optician in Virginia, I am liable for eyewear fabricated using my measurements. That's the current interpretation of our regs by our state board. So, no measurements from me unless I'm making the eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I'd be happy to take their measurements and provide prescription verification, as well as the first frame adjustment for a sixty five dollar fee. Maybe more if the sign has changed in my car mechanic's shop. Fee for service. It's what we all should be doing.
    And how is that being received? Have you actually had patients that have paid for that srevice?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Interestingly, as a Licensed Optician in Virginia, I am liable for eyewear fabricated using my measurements. That's the current interpretation of our regs by our state board. So, no measurements from me unless I'm making the eyewear.
    I agree with CuriousCat, about liability its a service they receive when purchasing there glasses. Where I work we are not allowed to measure PT's PDs if there not getting the glasses with us.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If they aren't ordering anything and just do the PD for them.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    A VERY key piece of inoformation, CC.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would hope we'd all be liable for the measurements we make, and be confident enough in them to charge for the service.....which would include Rx verification. I haven't had any inquiry's yet but I'm only in it part time and limited to my existing customers. If you could do 2 a day you would be adding 130 bucks to your daily wage which, I would guess, would more than offset the inconvenience.

I don't see the relevance of the liability issue.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 01-18-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: addition
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't see the relevance of the liability issue.
    Few ever do, but then why take the risk given our proclivity for lawsuits and victimization?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting, as I just had my *first* request for a PD only from a non-client yesterday. Seems they took their Rx from their doctor's office (my main referral source) and tried to place an order for Rx suns online. Vendor came back and said they needed "PD". This person called the same Dr.s' office for his PD, and was told they don't take this measurement. He then asked where could he go (?) They responded (remember, they are our main referral source) contact Long Island Opticians. After I digested all the political ramifications of refusing, and making his Dr.s office (and perhaps me) lookling in a poor light, I decided that "Yes", we would render this service. I also felt that offering an "al la carte" approach is consistent with my premise that Online is just *unbundling" B&M ECP services.

So it is. He hasn't shown up yet. But if he does, I'll take a proper, monocular PD, both DV & NV, and charge $15.00 for this service.

And so, I'm officialy on the yellow-brick road to the OZ of dealing with the paradigm changes brought by online eyewear.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    So it is. He hasn't shown up yet. But if he does, I'll take a proper, monocular PD, both DV & NV, and charge $15.00 for this service.
    Thanks for answering the question I was going to as. (Even though I know this has been discussed before) I, personally, have not had anyone walk in asking for this information but I need to talk to the OD to see if a "service fee" should be rendered. I think a $15-$20.00 fee would be sufficient for the time that we take to give this person the information they need to purchase glasses online. :bbg:

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You guys realize that you are going to give rdcoach5 and drk a screaming frothing at-the-mouth stroke, right? :bbg::drop::hammer::shiner::p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sadly..............

Interesting, as I just had my *first* request for a PD only from a non-client yesterday. Seems they took their Rx from their doctor's office (my main referral source) and tried to place an order for Rx suns online. Vendor came back and said they needed "PD". This person called the same Dr.s' office for his PD, and was told they don't take this measurement. He then asked where could he go (?) They responded (remember, they are our main referral source) contact Long Island Opticians. After I digested all the political ramifications of refusing, and making his Dr.s office (and perhaps me) lookling in a poor light, I decided that "Yes", we would render this service. I also felt that offering an "al la carte" approach is consistent with my premise that Online is just *unbundling" B&M ECP services.

And so, I'm officialy on the yellow-brick road to the OZ of dealing with the paradigm changes brought by online eyewear.

B
    ...your message to this consumer is that it is "OK" to wear a pair of self-ordered, non-ECP verified, fitted, and maintained medical devices. :angry:

Enabler!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    You sell your service cheaply. Your car mechanic gets more than that for just saying Hello! ( this is not meant as a put down to mechanics, they KNOW what they're worth.) It would be helpful for participants in this thread to keep in mind that the internet customer is not YOUR customer. You have already lost him.The customer who walks in your door FOR ANY REASON, is your customer. Your living depends on the person in front of you and no one else. Take care of him properly and he will do the same in return. Why are eye care professionals always afraid to compete?

And to Keri I would say the fee charged has little to do with the time involved. It has everything to do with placing a value on Service. That's with a capital S and how you will always be able to compete with not only internet companies, but your local competition as well.Dont sell yourselves too short. Service can save your business, because when all is said and done, all we sell is service. Products you can buy anywhere.
    Lord Byron

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Internet Spectacle Purchase and PD Measurement: Previous discussion was reiterated that
    once a PD measurement has been taken, the optician is responsible for the measurement
    information provided. However, the optician has the right to refuse to provide requested
    information.

SC Board of Examiners In Opticianry
    12/11/08

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Figure out how much your time is worth. Charge appropriately (most industrial suppliers pay about $20.00) and you have to verify and adjust the frame (with those damn fixed side shields.) have the patient sign a release that you are not resposible for anything including free services on anything purchased elsewhere and pocket the money.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    And how is that being received? Have you actually had patients that have paid for that srevice?
    i charge fifty. i explain to them that its a professionals service charge. i have had two this year. pretty much covers lunch for the staff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    ...your message to this consumer is that it is "OK" to wear a pair of self-ordered, non-ECP verified, fitted, and maintained medical devices. :angry:

Enabler!
    Yes, this situation is dilemmic! I certainly may be part *enabler*. But I see this as also keeping peace with my referral source, which condeming me conveniently overlooks.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeGJ View Post
    Internet Spectacle Purchase and PD Measurement: Previous discussion was reiterated that
    once a PD measurement has been taken, the optician is responsible for the measurement
    information provided. However, the optician has the right to refuse to provide requested
    information.

SC Board of Examiners In Opticianry
    12/11/08

Repsonsible? Better be pretty sure "your" PD is correct!

Q: How does one "really" know?

B

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Bottom line: Until (IF) this ever gets regulated, it's up to each individual optician if they are going to do it and how much they will charge.

I have the feeling it's going to go the same way as state licenses: States with licensing requirements will put the liablity on the optician IF they choose to take the measurements (such as in VA and SC) and they will allow opticians to refuse to take the measurements if they so choose. Those states without licensing requirements will be just as they are now, a mess, with little or no accountability and it being strictly up to each person whether they want to take the PD and how much they want to charge if they do.

Until there is legal regulation, arguing about whether or not it should be done is a waste of time. Those who are going to do it are going to do it anyway, and those who aren't going to do it won't. Patients are simply going to go (or call, or search online) from shop to shop until they find someone who will do it.

Presonally, I would not do it. But if someone like Barry wants to do it, and is willing to accept whatever liability respsonsibility there may be, then more power to him. I'd rather a qualified professional such as him be doing it than someone who's been on the job for a week in box store C in an unlicensed state.

In the end, as with A LOT of issues in our profession, it comes down to education, both ours and the patients (they are NOT consumers, they are patients, as we are making a medical device derived from the prescription of a medical professional).
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And to Keri I would say the fee charged has little to do with the time involved. It has everything to do with placing a value on Service. That's with a capital S and how you will always be able to compete with not only internet companies, but your local competition as well.Dont sell yourselves too short. Service can save your business, because when all is said and done, all we sell is service. Products you can buy anywhere.
    I will agree with you. Although, I do think it has SOME what to do with the Opticians time. If something goes wrong with the glasses, guess where that patient is going to go? They are going to come storming back into your office (even though THEY bought them online and it had nothing to do with you, other than the measurement) I do 100% agree with placing the fee on the price of service.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I implemented a $30 service charge 2 years ago and have maybe done this a dozen times. I ma reevaluate the amount I charge and increase it accordingly. We also offer to apply the fee paid to an eyewear purchase if they return within 30 days and purchase from us.
    UFRICH:cheers:

Thread Information