Thread: The ultimate driving lens

Occupation
    Optometrist

The ultimate driving lens

My ultimate driving lens would have the following features:

1. Tint for daytime driving (probably brownish)
    2. Minimal tint for nighttime driving
    3. AR-coating
    4. Maybe even a gradient tint
    5. Sporty frame (or cute, if you're of that gender)

Drivewear is close, but they're a little too dark for night driving, no?

I was wondering about the newer Transitions XtraActive with perhaps a little overtint and AR. Maybe there would be enough activation in the car plus with maybe a 10-15% gradient overtint (net, after AR) that it would function appropriately?

Any ideas?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    2. Minimal tint for nighttime driving

...why would you want a tint at night? Maybe it is because I live in one of the highest deer/car accidents regions in America, but that just seems silly.

However, to address your overall question, I can tell you what I do:

2 pair: 1 pair free form w/AR and transitions (in a professional looking frame) + 1 pair drivewear that I keep in the car and put on whenever I drive sunrise to sunset (in a sporty frame).

To me, polarization is the primary driving lens attribute, which you wont get with xtra-active, and of course you can't get with a clear lens, so in my mind, my 2 pair seem to be the most efficient way to get everything out of as few pair as possible.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good response.

I really meant to convey "as little as possible" tint at night time.

Your system is optimal, TOG. I was thinking about a "single" solution. I know there's currently none.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got my first real pair of drivewears, which I Love, however, I'm a little embarassed by the way they look. I just wish they were darker, because I don't like the fact that i can see my eyes through them. I feel like the uni-bomber (the frame was a very trendy looking aviator sun frame before the drivewear was put in). oh well, the vision is lovely.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I just got my first real pair of drivewears, which I Love, however, I'm a little embarassed by the way they look. I just wish they were darker, because I don't like the fact that i can see my eyes through them. I feel like the uni-bomber (the frame was a very trendy looking aviator sun frame before the drivewear was put in). oh well, the vision is lovely.

lol...I almost put in my original response that my Drivewear are "in a sporty frame so as not to look like a child molester."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    You shouldn't be looking at your eyes, you should be looking at the ROAD!!!!

Has anyone tried the (other) SOLFx lenses? I know they're about a 50% tint to start with, but I was wondering if anyone had tried the Grey or Brown. I'm also thinking that if one was to go for a tint for driving at night (and I always recommend against it) that X-Cel's Autumn Gold might be the best. You can get Polarized in Glass (their Trivex version isn't polarized) and it's a very nice yellow to a dark brown in sunlight.

But I always recommend A/R. And whomever said "clean the inside of your windshield" in the other thread is exactly right. That will reduce more glare than anything.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When selling Drivewear, I tell my patients that to look at them they are UG-LY! But they are the best things to look through.

And yeah, a sporty good-looking frame is a MUST!
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have a pair of Drivewear which I absolutley HATE. The brown/green color literally makes me ill! I went back to my good old gray polarized and I am so much more comfortable. Most of my patients who have tried Drivewear have done the same. Only those that prefered brown sun lenses have stayed with them. ANd none of my progressive patients like the Imagewear progressive. Only the single vision patients are happy with the lenses. For night time driving a clear lens with AR satifies my patients (and me)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by randig1313 View Post
    I have a pair of Drivewear which I absolutley HATE. The brown/green color literally makes me ill! I went back to my good old gray polarized and I am so much more comfortable. Most of my patients who have tried Drivewear have done the same. Only those that prefered brown sun lenses have stayed with them. ANd none of my progressive patients like the Imagewear progressive. Only the single vision patients are happy with the lenses. For night time driving a clear lens with AR satifies my patients (and me)
    I think that's the first negative reaction to Drivewear that I have seen on this forum.

When I drive during daylight (anytime from dawn to dusk) I wear Drivewear and I am very happy with it. Specifically I have Drivewear Polycarbonate Image Progressive lenses with Crizal Avance AR. In metal aviator-style frames. I think I see very clearly with it under all weather conditions from daylight to dusk. I've worn it on cloudy days--not when it's actually raining, that I remember. I guess that's an experience I will have soon. I haven't had the lenses except for a couple of months. And I can tolerate it indoors in most settings, so it is convenient to drop into a store or fast-food restaurant or some place where you are in and out pretty quickly and not have to take them off and put clear ones on.

Cosmetically, it looks a little strange, because my eyes are visible to others through the brown "haze" of the lenses, as opposed to dark sunglasses that hide your eyes. As others have also said. But from behind the lenses, I think they work very nicely for driving and outdoors. Very comfortable. Colors seem very natural when viewed through the brownish tint.

So I give Drivewear a big "thumbs-up".

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    I think that's the first negative reaction to Drivewear that I have seen on this forum.

When I drive during daylight (anytime from dawn to dusk) I wear Drivewear and I am very happy with it. Specifically I have Drivewear Polycarbonate Image Progressive lenses with Crizal Avance AR. In metal aviator-style frames. I think I see very clearly with it under all weather conditions from daylight to dusk. I've worn it on cloudy days--not when it's actually raining, that I remember. I guess that's an experience I will have soon. I haven't had the lenses except for a couple of months. And I can tolerate it indoors in most settings, so it is convenient to drop into a store or fast-food restaurant or some place where you are in and out pretty quickly and not have to take them off and put clear ones on.

Cosmetically, it looks a little strange, because my eyes are visible to others through the brown "haze" of the lenses, as opposed to dark sunglasses that hide your eyes. As others have also said. But from behind the lenses, I think they work very nicely for driving and outdoors. Very comfortable. Colors seem very natural when viewed through the brownish tint.

So I give Drivewear a big "thumbs-up".
    Yeah, this is the first negative comment I have ever, ever heard about DriveWear. Of course, my big ol' -9.00 RX makes it impossible for me to wear...

The important thing to remember about DW is that the colors are designed to work with the cones and rods in the eye. They are selected for highest function, not highest fashion.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Yeah, this is the first negative comment I have ever, ever heard about DriveWear. Of course, my big ol' -9.00 RX makes it impossible for me to wear...

The important thing to remember about DW is that the colors are designed to work with the cones and rods in the eye. They are selected for highest function, not highest fashion.
    I am super happy with the visual accuity and the color when i look through my drivewear. My thing is that while I'm driving, I've become addicted to having a wrapped frame that's nice and big. So the frame I chose was based on that need. I also wanted to have them for walking around the Big E when I'm there, going in and out of buildings, or amusement parks etc...I'm still going to wear them, and I must say what a difference having the a/r with it makes, but i just feel like a dork when they fade to the lighter color. I still want to look foxy when I've got them on. Apparently I need to stand directly in the sun for that to happen.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Better than needing to stand in the dark to look foxy. :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You know what would be cool? How about some plastic frames that were Drivewear specfic? They would be translucent and the color of the greenish unactivated lens. That would be monochromatic marvelousness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drivewear-01.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	7491

Name:	arnette-swinger-sunglasses-green.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	7493Or even a white frame, which could be better:

Name:	oakley-gascan-sunglasses-white-green-polarized-03-474-e1f67.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	7492

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Better than needing to stand in the dark to look foxy. :)
    omg, you're too much. :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had thought of that many years ago when Mood Rings were the rage. Just paint a clear frame with the temp-sensitive crystals, apply an overcoat and VOILA! -a Mood Frame!!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm surprised that drivewear is still unavailable in 1.67. I would sell a ton of it. And I'd wear it myself.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I'm surprised that drivewear is still unavailable in 1.67. I would sell a ton of it. And I'd wear it myself.
    You and me both. PM CEO (Dave Rips, CEO of Younger Optics) and tell him to get right on that.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    You and me both. PM CEO (Dave Rips, CEO of Younger Optics) and tell him to get right on that.
    And I also, although at least it's available in something other than just plain CR39.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    And I also, although at least it's available in something other than just plain CR39.
    Indeed. I use poly and bold zyl frames for higher Rx patients and explain to them what they'll look like. They are usually happy with the results simply because Drivewear is awesome and they are delighted to get to wear it.

Thread Information