Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free form labs in Malaysia, Hong Kong or India

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Free form labs in Malaysia, Hong Kong or India

Dear all,

With the push on the free form and digital progressive lens these days, are you dealing with any labs in Malaysia, Hong Kong or India?
    If yes, are you happy with the quality of the products? How about AR?

I'm trying to find some lenses that are reasonable in price for those clients who don't want to pay the premium price for the brand names.

Appreciate your help.

Regards, M

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by i care guy View Post
    Dear all,

With the push on the free form and digital progressive lens these days, are you dealing with any labs in Malaysia, Hong Kong or India?
    If yes, are you happy with the quality of the products? How about AR?

I'm trying to find some lenses that are reasonable in price for those clients who don't want to pay the premium price for the brand names.

Appreciate your help.

Regards, M
    PM me please.

Occupation
    Why are you going to Hong Kong, Malasyia, or India for them? There are a lot of labs in the US and Canada making low cost Free Form lenses..... I'm curious to know what you consider low price (PM me, since wholesale prices aren't allowed here).
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm getting some lenses in Canada that cost me double of what my friends are getting from Malaysia. I'm talking about entry level free form lenses.
    Do you know any lab in Canada that offers a better pricing?

Regards, M

Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Why are you going to Hong Kong, Malasyia, or India for them? There are a lot of labs in the US and Canada making low cost Free Form lenses..... I'm curious to know what you consider low price (PM me, since wholesale prices aren't allowed here).

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am curious too that why you choose Hong Kong, Malasyia, or India.What about labs for free form lens in China?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm getting some lenses in Canada that cost me double of what my friends are getting from Malaysia. I'm talking about entry level free form lenses.
    Do you know any lab in Canada that offers a better pricing?

Regards, M
    There are many affordable options out there on both lenses and coatings - I'm saving a bundle and still able to provide a top quality product for patients with excellent results. Not a single non-adapt thus far. If you need help, let me know.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spoke with representatives from one Chinese company at VEE. I was unimpressed by their pricing -- only slightly lower than what I currently pay -- and their terms (e.g.: place $5,000 into an account from which they would draw).

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's also something to be said for using labs in your own country. They employ people who contribute to our economy which, in turn, filter's to our customers, and ultimately to us.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear friend,

Well said. Thank you

In this economic time, people are shopping around to get better prices. All the chain and big box stores are getting the brand name as such a deal that I as an independent can not get. Therefore my pricing is mush higher to the consumer and no wonder that they're walking out the door.
    I'm looking for a quality lens and coating at a reasonable price. If you know a lab, please let me know.

Regards, M

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    There's also something to be said for using labs in your own country. They employ people who contribute to our economy which, in turn, filter's to our customers, and ultimately to us.

Occupation
    Dear friend,

Well said. Thank you

In this economic time, people are shopping around to get better prices. All the chain and big box stores are getting the brand name as such a deal that I as an independent can not get. Therefore my pricing is mush higher to the consumer and no wonder that they're walking out the door.
    I'm looking for a quality lens and coating at a reasonable price. If you know a lab, please let me know.

Regards, M
    I PM'd you a contact...

Occupation
    PM sent. Good luck.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear friend,

Well said. Thank you

Regards, M

For the patient who wants a premium product at a non premium price, I guess I'd like a Cadillac for the price of a Kia, too. However, most manufacturers are offering a multi-tier product line up with various "levels" of free form at various price points (i.e. Zeiss GT2 3d vs GT2 3Dv vs Individual). Start there.

As for big box paying less, I figured out a big part of that is their choice of labs, not some secret contract. A standard sv cr-39 lens was less than half the price of all the other labs in the state if I ordered from a lab that handles a lot of big box orders. If cost is the only consideration, consider other labs.

The concerns I have with ordering from outside of the country is a) product integrity and b) shipping delays. Perhaps instead of offering your patients the cheapest of the expensive (in which case they may not see the value), you could try offering your patients the expensive at 1st time cheaper prices (demonstrating the value of the product), if you can still maintain margins?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    can someone send me a PM as well about this info would be good i have the same issue as the OP

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    can someone send me a PM as well about this info would be good i have the same issue as the OP
    You've been PM'ed. Have a nice day.:p

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    I know someone that can assist. I PM'd you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could you send me the same information . Thank You .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Am I misunderstanding something with this thread? I have yet to see a big box undersell me apples to apples. When a patient asks what the differences are, I tell them, and they decide if it is worth it to buy from me or not. Even the big box free form lenses are more expensive than my most expensive free form.

So, if I'm understanding the thread, the concern is that big box is getting a deal on their products, which while true, I haven't seen that reflected in their free form offerings. If an independent is still selling comforts or sola ones, then I must simply ask why? Do your homework. Manufacturers have legitimate improvements in lens design and manufacturing technology. For those who do in house work, which I don't, I understand trying to get a ROI from your equipment, but the reality is that it is not going to be the silver bullet you are looking for. You'll never be able to compete on cost no matter how many foreign suppliers you use, because at the end of the day, perception rules, and we don't have the marketing budgets to change mass patient perspective.

All lenses and treatments and materials are not created equal. Offer your patients the best (on the market, not the best you have chosen to sell up to this point) and if they want something inferior, let them know you can do that too.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BBGR free form lens is very resonable price compare to essilor. free form lens + good design = good lens , so if u want only a free form lens , there r many in malaysia , and the price is really wowoowowow .

Occupation
    Optometrist
    i agree that we do have some good quality low budget freeform lens here. but do you really think that is a wise move to order lens from here as the support and delivery time will be another issue for you.. i sure there are member here will able to give u some other better option at ur place..
    Yeap

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jgu1644 View Post
    BBGR free form lens is very resonable price compare to essilor. free form lens + good design = good lens , so if u want only a free form lens , there r many in malaysia , and the price is really wowoowowow .
    Need to remember though that essilor own BBGR, so if you are an ECP who doesn't want to feed the beast..........

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your customers expect you to be the lowest price; you have given them that thought. We want to be in the middle and never offer the best service and quality at the lowest price.
    I appreciate service and will pay extra for it; you just need to convey that message to the consumer. We sell 100% premium free form and 100% non glare so we know it can be done and not be the lowest price.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just checked the price for cr-39 and it is as low as any decent traditional lens; Try the Pech Pro in good old Iowa. The EZC ar is also a bargain.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ya. i totally agree with Craig, he got the point..
    Yeap

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper How sweet could it be, at least for a while to buy from Asian labs...................

Quote Originally Posted by jgu1644 View Post

I wondered for a while how long it would take until Asian labs would pop up to offer their services at rock bottom prices. They are not only in Malaysia, they are all over. One of the largest optical supplier countries is Thailand where all the biggies from Essilor to Rodenstock have even their own well ankered companies manufacturing and labs.

There has been the big screaming about on line opticals underselling the optical B&M stores. We have called consumers that get Pd's taken so that they can order on line all bad names under the sun.

Now you are doing the same, show interest in low pricing that would result in some more optical technicians out of work on this continent. How sweet could it be, at least for a while to buy from Asian labs and sell at the used American standard prices

Thread Information