Thread: Easy axis check on cylinder machine

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Easy axis check on cylinder machine

I have 8 Coburn 505 and use the original axis alignment Block and was wondering if there is a easier or faster way to do axis checking.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I use it as well. I've also got a DAC alignment tool, and that works as well.

But don't forget to do a scribe check too - you should have a thick flat cast iron block. Put it in the tool holder, cover it with grease and turn your air pressure down to about 10 PSI. Lower the points and turn the surfacer on for about 30 seconds.

The scribe pattern should be centered front to back and side to side. If it isn't you need to adjust the head (in/out or right/left) to get the pattern centered.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I will check on this site the DAC alignment tool you mention. I am looking for something fast that tells me if the machine is or not on axis. If not, i will have to do the regular axis aligment procedure with the cast iron block. No problem.
    About the scribe pattern, i check that too but this is something that changes less often. Mostly if you replace partes or a screw gets loose which is not common.

Thanks.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I check the scribe about every 6 months or so, and after changing points (I use carbide ball points, they don't wear out much at all LOL).

If we have a catastrophic detooling (where the tool comes out of the tool holder), we do a complete axis and scribe check.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Just thought of another (excellent) way to check: generate a lens and tool on your generator: Plano x 12.00

I'd recommend using a plastic or aluminum tool for this. Then, mount the tool (with no pads) on the cylinder machine and lower the pin pressure to about 10 PSI. Place the lens on the tool by hand, you will feel it "lock" in place. Drop the pins in place and see if the lens trys to twist. With the lens in place turn the lower spindle by hand through 360 degrees to see if the lens twists on the outer edges.

If it stays in place, on axis, remove the lens, pad up the tool then surface and polish the lens. You should see very little in the way of hourglass generator marks along the outer periphery of the lens.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Just thought of another (excellent) way to check: generate a lens and tool on your generator: Plano x 12.00

I'd recommend using a plastic or aluminum tool for this. Then, mount the tool (with no pads) on the cylinder machine and lower the pin pressure to about 10 PSI. Place the lens on the tool by hand, you will feel it "lock" in place. Drop the pins in place and see if the lens trys to twist. With the lens in place turn the lower spindle by hand through 360 degrees to see if the lens twists on the outer edges.

If it stays in place, on axis, remove the lens, pad up the tool then surface and polish the lens. You should see very little in the way of hourglass generator marks along the outer periphery of the lens.
    If the generator and blocking is correct and consistant (no play clockwise or anti).

Thread Information