Thread: 50 Ways To Leave A Patient?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused 50 Ways To Leave A Patient?

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the original thread, so here goes:
    We are looking for a "boilerplate" form that we can send to a patient who we are no longer willing to care for. Nearly everyone in the office, from the ODs, the techs, and the office manager have been verbally abused by this patient, (but the opticians have taken the brunt of the wild phone calls, screaming, etc.). We recognize that the patient is ill, her behavior is beyond erratic, and we no longer want to waste valuable office time dealing with it. We know that we can't refuse emergency care (and won't), but we have to make her a "non-patient." Anybody have advice as to how we should proceed so that we are legally protected?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As long as you refer them to another practice you are covered(legal protection). Sometimes you have to be blunt with folks like this and let them go. They do need to understand they are not welcome back and further "abuse" could be reported.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Talk to your business' attorney. Things like this are fraught with legalities and it is best to run it through an attorney who can draft the proper letter (and probably send it!).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just smack 'em in the eye, Sy.
    It's not about the glass, ***
    It's all about the frame, Dame
    Pitch 'em in the saltpan, man

There must be 50 ways to leave your patient.

(C'mon - only 46 more to go!)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Step on them flat, Jack
    Flush'm down the can, man

(Our last one was easier as the Police did the heavy lifting after she threatened a Doc with violence.)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for an OD who wrote, a few times, a "release from my office" letter to the patient AND his attorney. Maybe that would help? If the patient is truly that bad, let another office deal with her..

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Chuck 'em in the genny, Benny.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    knock 'em in the head, Ted

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Choke 'em with a riki pad, Chad
    Make 'em eat Crizal, Paul
    Pelt 'em with poly, Molly
    Smother 'em in swarf, Mister Worf
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the letter our docs write, the patient is allowed 30 days to complete whatever business/medical they have here and then...

Out the door, Lenore
    Never come back, Jack
    Take it elsewhere, mon frere

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK - that tune will be in my head forever - How does this sound?
    "Dear XYZ - Our office will no longer be able to provide you with ophthalmic services. We have located several providers in the area that accept your insurance plan, and that list is attached. We will be happy to send your records to the provider that you select upon your notification to our office. Please be advised that we will continue to provide emergency services until 02/01/2011. After that date, you will have to select another provider. Please contact our office so that we can arrange the speedy transferral of records. A release form is attached for your signature so that we can send your records to another provider."
    At that point we all duck and cover. She is "The Vraken" - I cannot describe the vitriol, irrational behavior, and bizarre activities, that this woman has perpetrated on our office - we all recognize that she is ill, but that doesn't go too far when she's in here and crankin'.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We had an incident here in the factory years ago, someone walked in off the street and asked us to make new lenses for her. We told her no, sorry, and she went off like a rocket. Picked a paperweight off one of the desks and threw it. Secretary ran out of office and called 9-1-1 from another phone. Cops came down and arrested her in mid-rant, and of course she resisted...

No one has to take that kind of behavior from anyone. If she goes ballistic on anyone, simply ask her to leave. You don't have to say it loud, just loud enough so that it is heard by other people. If she refuses, pick up the phone and call 9-1-1, and if the dispatcher can hear him/her in the background, you won't have much problem. Sometimes all these "ill" people need is a wake up call that they need to stop verbally abusing other people. The police are very good at delivering wake up calls like that. And be sure to press charges. Your employees with cherish the moment when you stand up for them.

If the person returns and refuses to leave after that, call the police again and have her arrested again. Then go to court and have a restraining order issued.

I'm sure your office isn't the only professional office who has had to deal with her, and once word gets around (as it always does), he/she won't find much in the way care available to him/her.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! We know she's ballistic - and I kinda feel sorry for her - she is ill, and 2 of her children are also affected - but their behavior in the office is untenable. We don't want to involve police if possible, but we want to protect ourselves as well. The other issue is that the ODs in our office don't want to "sic" her on cohorts. She has some medical issues that have to be addressed, but hey, not in this place at this time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I simply tell them, in a letter, that continuing a business arrangement between us is no longer a good fit. Follow with the rest of what you composed.

Best I can see...

Good Luck.

Barry

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Hey! We know she's ballistic - and I kinda feel sorry for her - she is ill, and 2 of her children are also affected - but their behavior in the office is untenable. We don't want to involve police if possible, but we want to protect ourselves as well. The other issue is that the ODs in our office don't want to "sic" her on cohorts. She has some medical issues that have to be addressed, but hey, not in this place at this time.
    Yes, she is ill, but that's not YOUR problem and she should not be taking her illness out on you or your people. Call the police. Let them deal with it, that is what you pay taxes for.

On a related note, it is interesting that many people write off bad behavior when an illness is involved but don't tolerate it when there isn't illness. Illness is not an excuse nor is it a free pass. She needs to be dealt with before the shouting turns into something else (no, I'm not going to go there...).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You might want to check with your state medical society (or whatever society) to see if there's a timeframe you have to give them for "exiting care".

I think we give them 30 days from date of the receipt of the letter - we send it certified/registered "whatever" that the patient has to sign for that they received it (some of them refuse).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In order for any health care provider to be effective in their treatment of patients there must always be a certain "level of confidence" between the patient and the Dr. Once that "level of confidence" has been lost, as in the case here with "Mrs. Buttwipe", we feel compelled to insist that you seek your bla..bla...bla..services elsewhere. Now, would you please just get the **** out of my place!?

Oh yes, and do have a nice day! :-)
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    The other issue is that the ODs in our office don't want to "sic" her on cohorts.
    Thats why you send her to your least loved/most hated OD or ophthalmologist. :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anybody in your office spoken to her about they way she treats the staff? Would any one there be able to tell her that the staff does not appreciate her behavior and if she wished to continue doing business with you she is going to have to be respectful to the staff. This will have one of three effects

1. She will get ticked off and leave and not return.She will more then likely throw a fit.

2. She will modify her behavior.

3. She will be embarrassed and leave and never come back.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Add a picture of Mr. Ben Franklin to the bill, continue to add this amount until she either behaves a lot better or goes somewhere else.
    Never tell one off, or be rude back, just make it pay for you. If needed state on bill: Rudness $ 100.00.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Add a picture of Mr. Ben Franklin to the bill, continue to add this amount until she either behaves a lot better or goes somewhere else.
    Never tell one off, or be rude back, just make it pay for you. If needed state on bill: Rudness $ 100.00.

Chip
    Love this. Could call it a special handling fee!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Has anybody in your office spoken to her about they way she treats the staff? Would any one there be able to tell her that the staff does not appreciate her behavior and if she wished to continue doing business with you she is going to have to be respectful to the staff. This will have one of three effects

1. She will get ticked off and leave and not return.She will more then likely throw a fit.

2. She will modify her behavior.

3. She will be embarrassed and leave and never come back.
    Great idea, however, I'm sure if she's like that at this office, I'm sure she's the same way other places and she just doesn't care. Like someone said, we understand she might be ill but it doesn't give her anymore of a right to treat other people with disrespect..ESPECIALLY those who service her. Most "ill" people turn their attitude around and are extremely nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Love this. Could call it a special handling fee!
    We sometimes add an item to an order: Frame so much, lenses so much, PriceIndexAdjustment so much.

Thread Information