Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Driving

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Night Driving

Dear All,

Which lens you can suggest for a person complaining on glare due to headlights in the night driving. What about umbrematic(yellow) lens and ARC? Any other option is there? Please Help

Regards,
    Maju

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Current beliefs are : No Tint is better than clear. AR may help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't believe that an ECP would be asking this question.

Quote Originally Posted by majucalicut View Post
    Dear All,

Which lens you can suggest for a person complaining on glare due to headlights in the night driving. What about umbrematic(yellow) lens and ARC? Any other option is there? Please Help

Regards,
    Maju

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give the guy a break, maybe he hasn't your experience.
    In fact, a tint, any tint, will reduce the glare off the headlights. A nice grey-c will reduce it real well. The ultimate reduction of headlight glare is achieved by closing your eyes. The obvious drawback to tinting, or closing your eyes, is that everything else is also reduced. By the time the headlights are less visible, the other side of the road will be invisible. It would be akin to driving without your headlights on.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Really? Half the opticians I know would jump right into yellow tint with AR without a second thought.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A/R will just about eliminate the reflections and glare. I would think twice about driving at night without A/R. My script is a 1.00-4.00, so I can get some weird reflections in my lenses.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And everybody has left out the good old catract.......depending on the development of it, Grad 1 through 4. Regardless of what tint you chose or how much AR you put on the lenses, what you do on the outside is not going to do to much to help what is going on inside. When you know what is causing the glare/reflections...then you can talk a bit more intelligently with your patient.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would go with a good no-glare coating.If you see 20/20 driving at nights knocks that to about 20/32. Reducing the light spectrum with a tint would make vision worse.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK CC you done opened a can of worms..

What tint do you think would help a catarct patient (not your bottom line) at night, or daytime for that matter?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    My mother has completely given up driving at night (even being a passenger!!) because the reflections from her cataract implants drive her nutso.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For the Correct answer to this question..........

Refer to Chip's post appearing as the second post on this page.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Actually being a post catract case..............................

Having all sorts of sunglasses and tinted lenses that accumulated over the years and having tested them all over again after having done my 2nd eye some 2 years ago, and the winner is, in brite sunlight my Blue Blocker (or call them Melanin) glasses, for normal daylight driving i love my 50% absorption brown lenses.

If I have to drive at night I usually do it without glasses. My implants do not bother me from reflections.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also have had cataract surgery, and have no issues due to implants. One issue I would bring up is DES. Dry eyes will cause a person to be more light sensitive, day or night, but is sometimes intolerable at night with bright lights coming at you. Suggest artificial tear drops, it may ease some of the problems.
    I would also like to comment on tints and night driving: A study I read states that a person with 20/20 vision has only 20/32 vision at night due to insufficient light. If you add just a 10% tint, that same 20/20 is reduced to 20/40 at night. Boarderline legal for night time driving. I tell my customers that tints for night are a liablility, and I refer them to A/R coatings instead.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that any tint reduces night vision but the reason a lot of people benefit from a light yellow tint with or without AR is for reduction of the bright halogen headlights some cars have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    My mother has completely given up driving at night (even being a passenger!!) because the reflections from her cataract implants drive her nutso.
    Is she wearing your glass lenses? :shiner:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most annoying reflections connected with implants probably have to do with a now, out-of-favor edge design that was tried a few years ago in an effort to reduce posterior capsular opacification (PCO). That edge design did reduce PCO, but recipients were plagued with "edge" reflecttions at night, with an expanded pupil and pin point light sources.

Any Optiboarder know more than the above, or can correct the accuracy of my statement?

Thanks

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    And everybody has left out the good old catract.......depending on the development of it, Grad 1 through 4. Regardless of what tint you chose or how much AR you put on the lenses, what you do on the outside is not going to do to much to help what is going on inside. When you know what is causing the glare/reflections...then you can talk a bit more intelligently with your patient.
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=chip Anderson;376237]What tint do you think would help a cataract patient (not your bottom line) at night, or daytime for that matter?[/QUOTE

What tint? Well the one that the pt. likes the best of course. Now which one is that you ask

I like to sit on the beach with Grey lenses and the wife likes to use brown. So I don't know which color is best, but somehow as a eye care professional I have to find out by asking leading questions of the pt. so that I can make a educated choice.

We must remember the basic rule of eye care, what works for one pt. may not work for the next. The pt. is looking to us to come up with that color for them and how we go about doing it exemplifies our ability's.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All well and good, but the subject here is the efficacy of tinting lenses for night driving.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work with a fair number of visually impaired patients. I find that some benefit from any variety of tints, and I cannot predict which one that will be: I give them samples to try out in the lighting conditions that trouble them. Night driving is like that too, as many municipalities use different lighting and some cars have those nasty HID lamps. I got out my old calichromes (Kalichrome?) to see if I could benefit from "enhanced contrast". Naw..just a good AR..any tint is mere placebo effect.

That said, I really don't like mixing AR and tints..seems backwards! Also, if a patient expresses a preference for a tint for driving..as long as it is below the DIN standard (about 30%) I'll go with it.

I'll bet most drivers would benefit from cleaning the INSIDE of their windows!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    All above suggestions are great, and have touched on almost every aspect. A summary:

Think in terms of the optical media:
    1. Air: smog, fog, rain (can't do much about that)
    2. Windshield: clean inside and out, good wiper blades
    3. Glasses: clean, AR-coated lenses. No tint. No aberration. No chromatic aberration. (Contact lenses--lots of issues to address, there!) Let's not forget position of wear!
    4. Cornea, anterior chamber, lens, vitreous: a perfectly functioning eye is best! Habitual refractive error perfectly corrected, some consideration given to pupil size (be it too small or too large/spherical aberration/-0.25 "extra sauce"*), good precorneal tear film, healthy cornea, clear crystalline lens, good macular function.

As to therapeutic tinting: there is some evidence that tinting may help in some cases. It would be highly ideosyncratic and difficult to test clinically or in the optical, but some conditions seem to benefit from filters. Some.

What is needed, though, in our field is a good definition of, really the catch-all junk term, "glare", the sources of it, and the scientific solutions.

*patent pending Santini Opticians, LLC

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These threads are so easily hijacked, I can't understand why people can't simply answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One low tech way to test effectiveness of tint in addition to AR for individual pts :
    Clean their glasses, put yellow flip clip on (clean!) turn off room lights to blackout condition with projector on, stand next to chart & direct bright light at patient. The patient views chart with/without the tint.....they decide if there is value to the tint.
    If they have PSC there is no help even though daytime acuity may be 20/25. These people will opt for early cat. sx if they need to drive @ night.
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    All above suggestions are great, and have touched on almost every aspect. A summary:

Think in terms of the optical media:
    1. Air: smog, fog, rain (can't do much about that)
    2. Windshield: clean inside and out, good wiper blades
    3. Glasses: clean, AR-coated lenses. No tint. No aberration. No chromatic aberration. (Contact lenses--lots of issues to address, there!) Let's not forget position of wear!
    4. Cornea, anterior chamber, lens, vitreous: a perfectly functioning eye is best! Habitual refractive error perfectly corrected, some consideration given to pupil size (be it too small or too large/spherical aberration/-0.25 "extra sauce"*), good precorneal tear film, healthy cornea, clear crystalline lens, good macular function.

As to therapeutic tinting: there is some evidence that tinting may help in some cases. It would be highly ideosyncratic and difficult to test clinically or in the optical, but some conditions seem to benefit from filters. Some.

What is needed, though, in our field is a good definition of, really the catch-all junk term, "glare", the sources of it, and the scientific solutions.

*patent pending Santini Opticians, LLC
    Agree Dr K , we use yellow tinted lenses to reduce the brightness of the relatively new halogen headlights on some cars. Other than that, it does nothing or worse.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like a 10% Grey Tint. Although it might reduce the vision a bit, but the patient might feel better if they are really sensitive to direct light when driving at night.
    http://www.raybanmalaysia.com Original Wayfarers and Aviators detailed pictures.

Thread Information