Thread: Looking for a mid-priced sunglass line

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Looking for a mid-priced sunglass line

Looking for a mid-priced sunglass line (polarized), for both men and women. I have a mostly early seniors to seniors clients, so Rxable is needed. Some go non Rx but most sales are Rx.
    A line that actually has some 6 base frames for Rx is what would be helpful. Seems most big name sunglass manufacturers forget about this market.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I hear you, brother.

Most of the mainline vendors that do fashion sun collections put out mediocre frame quality and even worse lenses. I'd be embarrassed to sell some of the polarized planos that come into my office (they really look and feel like demo lenses), and that's fine if you Rx them.

Problem for me is that sunlenses are expensive items, and I hate to put nice progressive polarized lenses in a frame that may not last two years.

RayBan or Oakley (curse Luxottica) make a good frames. They offer throwaway lenses that aren't too bad to let go out of your office as plano, and do have some quality lenses available. The problem (other than that they're Luxottica) is that they are all 8-9 base frames with sixty-something eyesizes.

Darryl says that you can use individualized progressives to offset the effect of a 20 degree face-form. That may well be, and I haven't proven that to myself, yet. But the price just went a little higher.

Truth be known, in the final analysis it makes more sense to use an ophthalmic frame for most Rx sunwear jobs, to get the quality up and the individualized lenses down. However, the sizing and styling has to be aggressive, or it looks a little dorky. These clunky ophthalmic zyls are helping.

It sure would be an area of opportunity for some frame distributor.

Not that I like Marchon--they of the soon-to-be direct retail via their new and exciting VSP internet optical--but they ALMOST got it right with their Flexon suns. Appropriate quality frames and decent styling, but there they go again putting in these plano polar gas-station lenses then trying to charge an arm and a leg, as is their SOP. Opportunity missed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about carrera? They've got some great sun frames, and they are really well priced. They have some traditional plastic, aviator, flex, and a few funky, but I'ld say most of the frames you would probable want are all six base. Many if not most come polarized.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Smith has the best quality zyls I've seen in years. Carrera, Fossil, Nine West and Guess are OK.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 01-06-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wiley X is a good-quality, reasonably-priced line.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    What about carrera? They've got some great sun frames, and they are really well priced. They have some traditional plastic, aviator, flex, and a few funky, but I'ld say most of the frames you would probable want are all six base. Many if not most come polarized.
    I will second Carrera or Chesterfield for the guys. Kate Spade and Nine West have really cute smaller frames for the women too.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should look at Columbia line from L'Amy
    Pam Watson, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cinzia by Europa just put out a nice polarized sun line.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I second the Chesterfield recommendation (for dudes). It should go without saying, but make sure and tint some planos and put them in the frames you want to sell as sun. I like to do a few "weird" colors as well, not because people will buy them but because it draws their attention. In my experience, buying dedicated "sunglasses" from the big names just guarantees frames sitting on your boards for years (unless, as was previously stated, you're operating in the right area).
    Another advantage of using "regular" frames with lenses you tinted is that you know you're not going to have BC issues, etc. And -- best of all -- you can get deals and offer a discount on Rx sun as a second pair. Seriously, forget buying "sunglasses."

Thread Information