Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jenny P, Our Fingers Are Crossed for You!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy Jenny P, Our Fingers Are Crossed for You!

JennyP said:
    ... I have just returned from having an MRI of the brain performed this morning, and am waiting to learn if I have some awful disorder that will necessitate a lengthy and expensive treatment process, and ...
    First, don't jump to too many conclusions. Second, I hope you aren't going insane waiting for the results. Sometimes, waiting can be worse than something being wrong.

If you need us, we are here. Well, except for Peregrin Took; we promise. ;)

Take care,
    Jo
    :)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Jenny,

Jo's right. Don't jump to conclusions. However I know that's easier said than done when one's health is at stake. Hang in there. Our thoughts are with you!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

We got our fingers crossed this side of the pond tooo :)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The wait is always the worst part... Here's hoping the news is all good!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jenny, I am saying a prayer for a good report for you!:D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our fingers are crossed here in Oregon for you too.
    We'll be sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Suzy W

Occupation

Wave Thinking of you too

Take care and please keep us posted as you find out. Prayers and cyber hugs coming your way

Occupation
    Prayers said & Fingers Crossed here as well. Keep us posted.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good outcome to you

Jenny,

I'm counting on seeing you in Gatlinburg, next month. My prayers are with you. I just know everything will be all right.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

Oh my Jenny!! To be honest I read that and thought you were playing the game in the moment. Gosh I really didn't think you actually had an MRI!! Good Lord I will be praying for you!!! I am planning on seeing you in Gatlinburg as well (you too Diane!! I will be there!!!) I am sure you are just fine though. I am so sorry I really didn't think...of course like everyone was saying don't jump to conclusions the waiting is the hardest part. Don't panic like I do about stuff. I had a CT Scan a few months back and was scared to death. The doc had called my house 3 times and didn't leave a message then made me go all wkend without knowing what was wrong with me. Come to find out the first doc misread my ultra sound and nothing was wrong with me afterall...except in desperate need of xanax!! The point...things usually turn out ok. Take care and don't worry all of us optiboarders are praying hard for you.

Steph

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jenny,

You were added to our prayers right after ..."God bless Mommy, Daddy, Adam & JENNY, all the grandmas & grandpa, aunts, uncles, & cousins, & please let there be peace in the world...Amen.

It's not often that we put anyone in front of the grandmas & grandpas, but Adam (our 4 year old) thought it was important enough. I did too. Best wishes.

John

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Power of Prayer

Prayers are powerful, Jenny. We believe in them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you all so much!
    I REALLY appreciate the good wishes and prayers! I know there have been times recently when I didnt make a lot of sense to my customers and associates, saying one thing but meaning another, but so far everyone has acted like I am just a little goofy! And people still ask for me when they come in, and I know all of you know what a morale builder that is.
    Anyway, yes, I plan to be in Gatlinburg next month! Wish the whole board could be there because it will be a great time to be in the mountains! I will not let the docs schedule anything during that weekend, or even the week before. I will know a little more, I guess, by this weekend.
    And please, everyone, dont forget to include JERRY HUANG in your prayers! My problems (and worries) seem so petty to me when I know he has heart problems!
    Big hugs back for you all!
    jP

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

a prayer for you

Jenny,

Both you and Jerry will be in our prayers....

mikol

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello JennyP,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. What's wrong? Perhaps we too could put our collective heads together and help you out if at all possible. After spending a good number of days this year at the hospital with my wife I sure hate to hear that you're having troubles as well.

You take care and keep us posted,

Darris C.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    One of the best quotes I ever heard was-
    "Worrying is like paying interest on a debt you might not owe."

I have often wished that I could live out that advice. I will pray that you find peace as you wait and that you will have strength to cope with whatever comes your way (hopefully all good, but God helps us through all things).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

JennyP,
    My thought's and prayers.Take care.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation

Jenny P......

[pong]GOOD LUCK[/pong]
    Last edited by ioconnell; 04-05-2002 at 01:21 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks again, all! (Love that green bear, io!)
    I have some good news and some frustrating news from my ENT doctor today. Maybe one of you has or has a family member or friend with the symptoms I have been experiencing.
    First, the doc has ruled out any type of brain tumor. (YEA!)
    and Second, he now thinks I probably don't have meniere's ...that's the good news.

But the frustrating news is that he doesnt know what is wrong with me.... he plans to treat me with medications on a rotating basis... try one, if it doesnt work, try the second one, till we find something that controls my symptoms.
    The symptoms are: feeling of ear fullness/fluttering and discomfort of one ear; frequent & spontaneous episodes of dizziness, brain fog and brain lag; and constant low level tinnitus. These symptoms have been steadily increasing over the last 2 years. Recently my hearing was retested, and thankfully I havent had any definable loss. I have also had frequent migraines for years, but have had these under control.
    Blood pressure has always been good. Blood work is within normal tolerances. No new stresses in my business or family life.
    I was really thinking, after about 6 weeks of online research, that my symptoms were indicative of a form of Meniere's, but I guess that if this is all due to an allergy, that would be the best outcome, if I can treat it, or avoid the offender!

The doctor has put me on a nasal spray, Astelin (azelastine HCl), in case this is due to allergies, I guess.

So, if any of you have an understanding or experience of anything like this, I would appreciate additional thoughts! Please post to my email if you like, and again, my deepest appreciation for all of your prayers!
    jP

Occupation
    My sister does extensive research in many medical fields and her husband is a doctor. I emailed her your symptoms and this was her response:

I'll send this on to Tom (her husband), but she very well could have allergies. They aren't
    nice -- like having a cold or ear infections for months. And if something is
    inflamed in her ear, she could be dizzy. She doesn't have a pinched nerve in
    her neck, does she? There was a woman diver who had something like a pinched
    nerve way up in the base of neck -- made her dizzy. Not a good thing for a
    diver! Another thing to think about? Does she still have her wisdom teeth? any
    sore teeth or infections? And releated to that is TMJ, where your jaw doesn't
    track normally and you can hear it cracking and popping. I have that, and one
    ear feels full, hearing gets muffled -- uncomfortable around and in the ear
    and not always along the jaw line.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Night Train said:
    And releated to that is TMJ, where your jaw doesn't
    track normally and you can hear it cracking and popping. I have that, and one ear feels full, hearing gets muffled -- uncomfortable around and in the ear and not always along the jaw line.

Jenny,
    I had TMJ. until I got braces when I was 25 and it corrected my bite, and the symptoms went away and can attest to the ear feelings.

The allergy thing is a good route, too. I have allergy problems and always have that full feeling in my ears. I have learned to live with it. Allergies, my doctor has told me can also effect the inner ear. So I think this may be a good avenue to check! Find a good allergist. And even if you have never had allergy problems before they can come on later in life!

Good luck Jenny!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Jenny, my mom has been sick for several months with your exact symptoms. She is seeing an ENT doc here next wk. Speaking of allergies...I have severe allergies and it does sound like a possibility. Mine are in full force right now. They do make me feel horrible and head full can't finish a thought due to brain fog. Eyes feel like they are going to pop out of the socket...oh yea it is fun. I have been to different docs for several things and no help. The problem they sent me to for the ultrasound was for a stomach problem which has been going on for several years now which has stumped the entire med community here. I was actually hoping for the gallstone dx since at least they could do sx and it would be over. The meds do help but not enough. I am praying for you Jenny. I really do know how it feels to feel horrible and have the doc say well we don't know what it is. Sometimes that is worse...hang in there and try not to let it get to you. I know how hard it is but try hard.

Steph

Occupation
    My sisters husband the Doctor wrote back:

Allergies are good first thought. Maybe a viral infection of the part of the ear that regulates balance but that seems less likely given the duration of symptoms. Tom

But its probably worth mentioning....he is a forensic pathologist....he cuts up dead people.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Jenny

All of us pray that you will be all right. Just remember that when there are bumps in the road your friends are here to help you over them.

Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its me again!
    Several of you had questions:
    "She doesn't have a pinched nerve in
    her neck, does she? " ~~havent had that checked yet...

"Does she still have her wisdom teeth? any sore teeth or infections? " ~~ upper impacted wisdom teeth were removed about 25 years ago, lower ones removed about same time; and last dental checkup with x-rays (about 4 weeks ago) looked good....

"And related to that is TMJ, where your jaw doesn't track normally and you can hear it cracking and popping. I have that, and one ear feels full, hearing gets muffled -- uncomfortable around and in the ear and not always along the jaw line." ~~ dentist does a TMJ spot check each visit...I do clinch my teeth at night...is that related to TMJ? I can crack my jaw sometimes!

"Allergies, my doctor has told me can also effect the inner ear. So I think this may be a good avenue to check! Find a good allergist. And even if you have never had allergy problems before they can come on later in life!" ~~ well, I definitely want to be checked for allergies,...if this new medicine (or another) works well... fine! But I want to try to avoid whatever I am sensitive to, so I am making an appointment with my daughter's allergist (daughter is allergic to latex).

"Jenny, my mom has been sick for several months with your exact symptoms. She is seeing an ENT doc here next wk." ~~ Stephanie, I hope she sees a sympathetic ENT. And gosh, I hope she has good insurance. I just saw the bill for my evaluation and the tests they had to run to check the inner ear and balance structures. I knew the MRI would be expensive, but the other tests are pretty $$$ too. Best wishes to your mom too! I can give you some web sites to answer "dizzy" questions she might be having!

and finally:
    "...he is a forensic pathologist...he cuts up dead people." ~~ oh cool! no kidding....well, really! That was one of the areas I was considering back in my college days....shudda stayed in school!!
    ~~ thanks again everyone! ~~jP

Thread Information