Thread: Shamir Free form

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Shamir Free form

Hello. We are starting to offer Element and Autograph lenses. I would love any input that anyone can offer to make it smoother for us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ackersoneyecare View Post
    Hello. We are starting to offer Element and Autograph lenses. I would love any input that anyone can offer to make it smoother for us.
    I'm pretty sure the (original) Autograph was discontinued in December and was 'replaced' a while back with Autograph II. The newer version is a huge upgrade allowing Position of Wear measurements. Shamir also introduced Spectrum this year which is an upgrade from the Element design. Shamir now has a Good/Better/Best (Element/Spectrum/Autograph II) menu of progressive lenses.

And if you're not aware of it, you may want to check out - self-serving promotion coming - TheLensGuru.com for more information on all PALs.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Awesome. I have been on Lens Guru. needed to get back but couldn't get it in my head. thanks for responding we will head on over there.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    www.shamirlens.com. Education is key!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I expect to experience very familiar lens design to past shamir product, but with "cleaned up" optics. I always found shamir's corridor lengths to be long, but with the new product lineup, it looks like you have a lot more control. The "customization" will be done by you more so than by shamir, which is either a pro or con depending on your perspective. I think as with everything, the benefits/upgrades are relative. Is it a big upgrade compared to past autograph lenses?...absolutely. Is it industry changing awsomeness?...I'm not convinced yet.

I sold over 90% free-form progressives in 2010, and I have been considering offering the autograph II, but I can't seem to find a real place for it in my tool-belt. I would say that I'm excited about the 11mm seg option, but in reality, I would tell a patient to pick a different frame anyway because of loss of comfort and optics, unless they absolutely loved the frame as a very rarely worn accessory. Additionally, I'd be concerned (based on my past experience with shamir designs) with the reading being virtually useless. It is something you'll have to play with and decide for yourself.

Thread Information