Thread: What's wrong with this picture?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused What's wrong with this picture?

The other day, I had a customer come in to have her new glasses adjusted that her daughter had purchased for her while she was in China. (The daughter is a United Airlines stewardess, and she took her mom's Rx with her when she flew to China.) The progressive height and pd's, of course, were incorrect, but, what got my attention was the FRAME. The country of origin stamp on the frame was NOT "Made in China", it was Italy! Since it's getting harder every year to find ANY frame mfg not outsourcing to China, I find this very ironic that the Chinese themselves aren't using their own products! What's wrong with this picture??!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    The other day, I had a customer come in to have her new glasses adjusted that her daughter had purchased for her while she was in China. (The daughter is a United Airlines stewardess, and she took her mom's Rx with her when she flew to China.) The progressive height and pd's, of course, were incorrect, but, what got my attention was the FRAME. The country of origin stamp on the frame was NOT "Made in China", it was Italy! Since it's getting harder every year to find ANY frame mfg not outsourcing to China, I find this very ironic that the Chinese themselves aren't using their own products! What's wrong with this picture??!!
    What's wrong is you probably did it for free.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you can have fake "chanel" when in china, why not fake "italy".

Probably was product for the native chinese market meant to trick them into thinking they had an import.

Harry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    China manufacture most of the frame parts world wide - with the exception of some beautifully hand made or boutique product lines. These parts are then "shipped" to Italy where they are assembled "hence the made in Italy stamp." It is legal in Italy to assemble a product and claim it is "made" there. Although we don't understand that concept in most countries - it's true of the optical products sold as Italian made (well often true at least).

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper old hat......................

The country of origin stamp on the frame was NOT "Made in China", it was Italy! Since it's getting harder every year to find ANY frame mfg not outsourcing to China, I find this very ironic that the Chinese themselves aren't using their own products! What's wrong with this picture??!!

The 1950's, the time the Japanese flooded the market with optics from binoculars to cameras they renamed towns with German names and the product was suddenly made in Wetzlar the ex german optical center.

It is easy to assume that the Chinese already put the made in Italy on ion China to save time and transport cost or to sell them to snobby chinese consumers.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The 1950's, the time the Japanese flooded the market with optics from binoculars to cameras they renamed towns with German names and the product was suddenly made in Wetzlar the ex german optical center.

It is easy to assume that the Chinese already put the made in Italy on ion China to save time and transport cost or to sell them to snobby chinese consumers.

Ahhh . . . but by the mid fifties the Japanese cameras were arguably as good or better than anything else on the market.You might want to check out the work of William Edwards Deming in post war Japan. His teachings led to the rise of Japan as a manufacturing country second to none.
    Last edited by rbaker; 01-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They also named a town USA which exports flew under the radar for a while.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Binoculars.....................................

Also in the mid fifties the well known brands of binoculars as Zeiss, Leitz and Kern had the prisms attached and suspended by metal springs and screws.

Whenever a binocular was dropped on the floor or any other hard surface the prisms would shift and when looking through the binoculars. you would experience double vision.
    T reset the prisms you had to open the casing adjust and re-close the whole instrument in order to check the alignment. Sometimes this could take a half hour and at other times nearly the whole day.

The first few years the Japanese would glue the prisms into the casings and any good opticians that then sold these instruments would refuse to sell and touch them out of this reason.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The progressive height and pd's, of course, were incorrect,
    So tell us more. Did you check them because she was having problems or were you just curious? How off were they?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    So tell us more. Did you check them because she was having problems or were you just curious? How off were they?
    I'd be interested in knowing what Icmor did to fix the issue..

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    China manufacture most of the frame parts world wide - with the exception of some beautifully hand made or boutique product lines. These parts are then "shipped" to Italy where they are assembled "hence the made in Italy stamp." It is legal in Italy to assemble a product and claim it is "made" there. Although we don't understand that concept in most countries - it's true of the optical products sold as Italian made (well often true at least).

Ah, but Italy noticed this was being done, and recently upped the ante. Now to have the "Made In Italy" stamp it MUST be 80% content of Italian origin.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by PAkev View Post
    They also named a town USA which exports flew under the radar for a while.
    Sorry, but that's just been a long-standing urban legend. Interestingly enough, it was originally said that Japan had a town named USA to do this.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Also in the mid fifties the well known brands of binoculars as Zeiss, Leitz and Kern had the prisms attached and suspended by metal springs and screws.

Whenever a binocular was dropped on the floor or any other hard surface the prisms would shift and when looking through the binoculars. you would experience double vision.
    T reset the prisms you had to open the casing adjust and re-close the whole instrument in order to check the alignment. Sometimes this could take a half hour and at other times nearly the whole day.

The first few years the Japanese would glue the prisms into the casings and any good opticians that then sold these instruments would refuse to sell and touch them out of this reason.
    I quit selling the Bushnell binoculars because of this. One small drop - BOOM! - Instant diplopia!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would not have touched them myself. Not for any fee whatsoever. We recommend(and insist) that everyone have their INITIAL fit and adjustments done where the glasses are made/sold. My question for the patient/customer would have been something like: Do you function well with those new glasses? Maybe, maybe not?? Our own patients/customers never have to wonder about that question. There is a reason for doing business a certain way. I've been away from the board for a couple months till today. I've read about 3 threads, all about things like this and On-line retailers and I'm already getting cranky.

But I did miss you guys/gals!
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Thread Information