Thread: Briot Accura CX motor issues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Briot Accura CX motor issues.

New to the board, but thought this would be the best place to seek any help on the matter. We're coming up on our busiest week of the year, and we're having issues with our Briot Accura CX edger. Specifically the motor. Yesterday a couple of our lab techs got whiff of an electrical burn odor, and then the motor began to make very loud whirring and humming noises. Thinking it's the bearings but we're not sure. To make matters worse, our support won't be back until Monday, same as Briot. So we're fighting blind here. Anyone had any issues with the motor in this edger before or might know where we can find some more information about said motor? Edger is approximately two years old, give or take a few months, and we've not had any issues with the motor until now. We've been having lots of poly build up from clogged areas, and issues with the feelers, but never with the motor. Not sure if the poly build up creating drag on the wheel might have caused a problem with the motor or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My experience with Briot is limited. Mainly have Gerber/Santinelli/Weco experience but generally an edger is an edger. First get out a good ol multimeter and check your fuses. I have seen equipment throw the circuit breaker for outlet but more than likely blow a fuse first before burning the motor. Could be as easy as a $2 fix.

Should that not work there are usually 2 types of electric motors, Brushless and those with brushes, Motors that use brushes when they wear down they have to be replaced (there will be 2). Unlikely the problem but I would at least check.

When you get that smell it is usually from, like you said, buildup bogging the motor down. Clogs can lower a motors lifespan as well if the seals are not good and coolant reaches it. If you do have to replace the motor, if Briot is like most Gerber equipment, you can sometimes find a replacement at Grainger, If motor in question is not too unique. Just call them and give them the motor specs, their system can look up exact motors or find you something similar for usually less money.

If you arent now I would suggest keeping some form of water source near edger, a squirt bottle whatever. To clean cutting chamber out after every few lenses. Cleaning more regularly can save you long term parts replacment costs and minimize your downtime so those (OMG I broke my glasses right before the holidays) patients dont go to the one hour optical down the road.

Hope this helps

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Mylok. Unfortunately, that's another problem. And we're not sure if we're not -supposed- to have 'em, or if someone just forgot to give them to us. But we don't have any information on the parts inside the machine. And we're unable, unless we do it before we open which we may have to, to disassemble the edger to test the motor given it's in a very hard to reach location. But it may come down to that. We do keep a bottle on hand to clean out the chamber, unfortunately not -everyone- uses it. There's some bad habits floating around the lab and I don't think they're gonna grow out of 'em anytime soon. So it's just a matter of coming behind them and doing it. Many thanks on such short notice though Mylok, hopefully nothing terrible will happen before Monday or Tuesday. We've already had to replace too much in such a short time. It's getting a bit ridiculous to be frank. We're pretty sure we could get what we need from Grainger but as it stands we have nearly no way or time to get the information we need.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have had a similar issue with my Briot edger. The issue was the fan that is attached to the motor detached/loosened and caused the burn odor along with the loud whirring sounds. Fortunately, we had a Briot tech in the are and our edger was under warranty. The tech pulled the motor out and reattached the fan using a some epoxy. Supposedly, the fan was backordered in France so it would take a some time or us to receive a replacement, we never did. You would be able to tell by looking on the left side of the motor. The fan should move freely if you manually move the wheels.

Thread Information