Thread: Eyecare Missions

OptiBoard Apprentice

Eyecare Missions

I have participated in VOSH, whose OD and optician members go on missions to third-world countries to provide eyecare services and eyeglasses to the needy. VOSHers pay their own expenses and deliver the eyecare/eyewear free on a strictly volunteer basis. I think this is wonderful, and I would like to do the same thing for our own "third-world" countries right here in the U.S.: the Indian reservations, which suffer some of the highest poverty and mortality rates in the country -- not to mention the lowest wages. I have found that the Indian Health Service requires something like 40 pages of forms to be filled out before approving the VOSHers to come! Does anyone have any suggestions for easing the way for the volunteers to provide these free services?

And by the way, if you're interested in participating in a VOSH mission, go to www.vosh.org. Also, www.ramusa.org is coordinating with eyecare professionals to provide services to the needy in the U.S., mostly in Appalachia. Check out the Web sites for schedules of upcoming missions.
    www.OpticalCE.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I am really interested in doing this. It was really great and I hope VOSH will continue their effort. Eye care service is a noble service and we know how important is vision for us and the country like India who is having the highest poverty needs these kind of help. I wish all the success for the your future service.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jullian View Post
    I am really interested in doing this. It was really great and I hope VOSH will continue their effort. Eye care service is a noble service and we know how important is vision for us and the country like India who is having the highest poverty needs these kind of help. I wish all the success for the your future service.
    Jullian, please note that the post you replied to is almost 12 years old and the person posting this hasn't been on OptiBoard since 2005.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information