Thread: The Frame industry and why do we drink the cool aid!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave The Frame industry and why do we drink the cool aid!

Looking for honest feedback from ECP's like myself. Wondering if we can work this out. There are so few buyers who get it.
    1. How do you choose/determine a frames quality?
    2. How can you tell where it's made not what it's stamped. Since European regulations are different.
    3. How do you determine what country is best.
    4. Why do ECP's feel the need to have the same product their competitors have.
    5. Isn't it better to support those who support us?

Please feel free to add questions and answer honestly.

Oops, darn spellcheck. I meant "kool aid"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There isn't a "best" country. I've seen some kickass frames from China or Pakistan but some crappy ones from the US. It all depends on company; country of origin doesn't really matter.

As far as I know, 99% of all zyl material originates from China. Maybe 100%.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mostly, and despite the prices some companies ask, almost none of the product i see is both well-designed, expertly-crafted, and posseses good fitting quality.

Your mileage may vary. I'd like to know.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's true, too. Price does not always collude with quality. Some of our higher-end glasses are much worse quality than ones we pay 1/8th the amount for. The only ones we have that I really like, quality-wise, are the Timberland and Precision lines, whereas some of our Marchon product has been lacking as of late. Quality does come in "waves" sometimes. And as for question 4. "Why do ECP's feel the need to have the same product their competitors have?" I don't see it. What we carry is completely different from what other optical shops and optometrists in town. Maybe some private ones may copy each other, but out of 18 we have in our town I don't really notice anything.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Frameguru;373774]Looking for honest feedback from ECP's like myself. Wondering if we can work this out. There are so few buyers who get it.
    Tell me about it, I miss buying product, I could do a much better job of it.
    After a while you can tell by holding the frame in your hands and looking at the construction of it.
    2. How can you tell where it's made not what it's stamped. Since European regulations are different.
    Not sure.
    It's not really about that, it's about quality.
    The savvy ones don't.
    Of course if you can. We support our local labs, frame distributors located in our state, smaller vendors like us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Frameguru View Post
    Looking for honest feedback from ECP's like myself. Wondering if we can work this out. There are so few buyers who get it.
    So true, but then....where is the training coming from?
    Size choices, engineering, finish quality, fit possibilities, curb appeal/fashion, etc.
    2. How can you tell where it's made not what it's stamped. Since European regulations are different. Stamp important: Frame(country) vs Made in(country)
    Enviromental pollution control/fair trade, political labor treatment
    Sales rep pressure, need to "fit in", vacuum between ears common reason.

Only if the support is legitimate, long term, and sincere!

Merry Christmas!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think many of us her on OB fall into 2 categories: owners and employees. How do optical shop owners decide what companies they deal with? I don't know, I'm a mere worker bee, but I'll tell you what I would do if I ran the zoo:

1. Work with companies who know their poo stinks just like everyone else. None of this, "what do you mean our frame is defective? WE don't send out defective frames."

2. Choose frames that over the years I have held, adjusted, tweaked and practically reworked and they come back to life after being accosted by a 3 year old (child or dog)

3. If a frame makes me go 'ooooooh' with a happy face, i likey.

4. Get a GOOD kids frame line. Either through my lab or a company that might cost a little more, but will warrenty it for abuse by above 3 year old.

5. And finally, have my go to company. They would supply 70 percent of all my inventory. They would have an across the board spread of men, women, and childrens that consistanty sell.

And what determines any of these criteria? I think it depend where you live, your customer base, and your own personality. If someone doesn't have a problem with chinese product, they'll use it. If someone likes all american made, then they'll hunt until they find something. There is no right answer unfortunately. But the above are what I would do if I ran the zoo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    when looking at frames that sales reps bring in i really examine them, look closely at spring hinges and after a while you can just "feel" the quality of certain frames over others

you look for the "made in japan" or any other country of origin the "made in" means it was manufactured there. if it just says "japan" it was manufactured somewhere else and maybe polished in japan or some other type of small finishing work
    -as far as which country is the best, there is none it all depends on the companys quality standards

and i definitely dont want the same products as all my competitors have, i like to be different and have unique products...if i do have the same frames i will have mine displayed nicer and priced significantly lower...and keep the unique frames priced higher (this way the consumer believes i am under priced and has no other comparison for the unique frames)

and i am a STRONG supporter of small "customer service comes first" frame companies that dont sell there frames online and undercut anyone they can for a sale like luxottica does and doesnt care. luxottica claims theyre doing theyre best at shutting down online sites that sell there frames fro 10 bucks over cost. BULL@&!! they could care less about us small retailers.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Kool aid:

Quote Originally Posted by Frameguru View Post
    1. How do you choose/determine a frames quality?-----I would pick German hinges, Italian plastic, Japanese plating/metal material and Taiwanese injection molding.
    2. How can you tell where it's made not what it's stamped. Since European regulations are different.----Really hard to tell nowdays because it could be European parts assembled in China!
    3. How do you determine what country is best. Hong Kong is the best because I can find parts and technology there from all over the world!
    4. Why do ECP's feel the need to have the same product their competitors have. To catch up the trend.
    5. Isn't it better to support those who support us? I agree!

Thread Information