Thread: Advice on used 7070 SX

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Advice on used 7070 SX

A colleague has offered to sell me his used 7070SX edger. I didn't ask how old it was but he said it had 43,000 cuts on it, the controller was replaced in 2005 and Santinelli did "preventive maintenance" on it last year. It was working fine but he bought a 9000 for the grooving and beveling capability.

He's asking $2000 which is a LOT less than a refurbished unit. I know they are like new but I don't do much volume. I can work on the edger but I've heard that you can't get parts for them. $2000 is an expensive boat anchor if it breaks down and I can't get it repaired. I have a 7070 PLB that needs some work so I thought I might be able to use it for spare parts if something happened. Does anyone know if most of the components are compatible? My luck the same part would be bad on both anyway!

I know there are no guarantees with used equipment but any ideas as to what kind of life expectancy I should expect to get out of a 7070SX, assuming it's been properly maintained?
    Last edited by mrdod; 12-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If you want to stay with Santinelli, I would look at a rebuilt 9000sx from VSI or someone similar. Parts and advice for 7070's are gonna get hard to find.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for your comments Jacgui. I know parts are an issue but can anyone give me an idea on how much life I can expect out of a 7070SX with 45000 cycles on it and if any of my 7070 PLB parts would be useable on a 7070SX? I'm just trying to get an idea how much of a gamble I would be making by getting this one at 1/7 the cost of a refurbished unit.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have no idea about parts interchanging. I only worked with the 7070's for a short time and did no maintainance on them.

I would be a bit suspicious because of the price, it seems tooo low to be true.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I have no idea about parts interchanging. I only worked with the 7070's for a short time and did no maintainance on them.

I would be a bit suspicious because of the price, it seems tooo low to be true.
    My local Sant. Repairman has two 7070 rebuilt units he has offered me one for $2500 if my edger ever breaks down (hopefully not for a long while). I don't think $2K is a too good to be true price. Sounds fair to me, but yes, that would be an expensive boat anchor.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The 7070Sx has many interchangeable parts with the 7070. However there is a fair amount that are not interchangeable. If you need guidance in making the decision to purchase the 7070SX please feel free to contact me directly at Santinelli International. At a minimum, if you’re planning on going forward with the purchase, let me help you with the packing particulars. If not properly secured with the original packing brackets the inside head assembly will arrive in pieces.
    Matthew G. Mc Kenna
    Vice President, Client Services
    Santinelli International
    325 Oser Avenue | Hauppauge, NY | 11788 | www.Santinelli.com
    (631.731.13132 631.731.1213 8 m.mckenna@santinelli.com

Thread Information