Thread: infection help

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

infection help

I've picked up a bug when I try to get on the computer I get a message that I need to download an antivirus program and ofcourse it's only 89.99 payable by creditcard. I can't even start in safemode. I can start in DOS, but I don't know how to do anything there. Is there anyway to run a system restore from DOS? I'm probably going to end up rebooting the computer, but I don't have the disk right now because it is in storage after the fire.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
    no penicillin won't help

p.p.s
    Maybe I'll hit the lottery but for now I'm not going to go out and buy an Apple.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is this the one you're getting? There are some hints at the bottom to remove it.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-soft
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that's not the one I'm getting it's Think Point but I'll try and see it these tips work.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Perhaps you could buy an external case for your hard drive, use another pc to explore the drive from the infected computer, run virus scans and delete the files. Even if that failed, you could use this method to retrieve documents, pics, and music currently on the drive that would be wiped in a full restore. You do need to be aware of your hard drive type to get the proper external for it. Perhaps you could take it out and carry it to a pc store? Good luck.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could you post screenshots / pictures of the actual message you get? What stage of booting up does this happen and what OS are you running?
    Last edited by RetroRat; 11-28-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: me fail english, that's unpossible

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sounds like you may be too far gone, but try to dwonload and run Microsoft security essentials. It is their free anti-virus software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Is this the one you're getting? There are some hints at the bottom to remove it.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-soft

that seems to have done the trick, if you ever get lost and find yourself near the 'Burgh I owe you a beer or three.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good.Now download MalwareBytes free scanner, run the manual update and scan that puter! Then download Spybot Search And Destroy, update that, then run both the Immunize tool, and then scan also. Keep it updated and immunized and it blocks a lot of bad websites.

And get a good antivirus program. If you have one,remove it and use the free ones from Avira or AVG. Never have more than one antivirus program. Spybot and MalwareBytes cooperate and coomplement antivirus software.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If it's a rootkit and it sounds like it is, you may want to re image the drive anyway. My suggestion is to backup all your files and at some point reimage the drive as once you get a root kit you can never be sure that the drive is clean. I run Avira, Spybot S&D, and Malwarebytes together they take care of all infections but you still should reimage a drive every now and again anyway. I reimage my computers at least every 3 to 4 years. I also make sure to keep all my files in the my documents folder or move them there when I am done with them and then back them up to a thumb drive and DVD. That way the only thing I have to do on a reimage is reinstall the OS and applications then my files canbe transfered over or kept on drives. I have been trying for a while to come up with a windows live cd with the applications I need, unfortunately it's more difficult than I would like, but I always keep a live CD (Knoppix) on hand just in case I need access to the computer and some virus gets a hold of it.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where is the confused as hell smiley, Harry the only reason my VCR doesn't flash 12:00 is it sets itself. what is reimage? what is a live CD?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I was trying to keep it a bit more simple for k there Harry.:bbg:

What Harry was talking about is using software to make a "picture" or image of your drive, sort of like a big zip file with everything on your hard drive contained within. Then, the drive can be wiped and your installation restored in a short time. But if you have a rootkit (a very deeply insinuated type of virus that embeds itself almost irremoveably into your operating system) and you restore your image from that, you will of course reinstall the rootkit.
    What Harry does ( and I do too) is use a drive imaging software like Acronis True Image to make an image of your drive in a healthy state onto an external drive, and updated often, then if disaster strikes, you just wipe out everything on the drive and replace it with your freshly restored image and you have gotten back almost to where you were before disaster struck in a much much shorter time and preserving your documents and data.

Oh, and a live CD is one where Windows was installed onto a CD and you boot directly to the CD or DVD and run WIndows or Ubuntu or something without using the installation on your drive. That way you can use the antivirus on the CD to disinfect the internal drive.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Dragon. What about trying to individually transfer my programs to a flash drive and reinstalling the original CD that came with the computer? would that likely transfer the rootkit?

Occupation
    I do something similar, with a few tweaks. I have dual 500 gig drives I'm my pc. One is paritioned into 50 gigs for the C drive, and the other partition is used as a data backup so its not accessed much. The outside 50 gigs of the C partition run much faster than the rest of the drive (think of a merry-go-round, much faster on the outside than the middle). The second 500 gig drive holds my docs, pics, music, etc. I reimage the C drive every 6 months or so and add programs as necessary to the backup image. Works wonders.
    Wes

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    On my puter at home I have an 80Gb SSD with Windows 7 64-bit as OS, a 1Tb, drive for storage, a 120Gb drive with XP Pro on it, a 120 Gb drive with Vista on it, and a 300 Gb Velociraptor that used to hold my main W7 64 OS, but got relegated to backup status since the SSD is faster. Since internal drives can still be infected, I back up my partitions in a 500 Gb external drive.And I routinely copy my C: drive over to the Velociraptor, so if my SSD horks, I just change the boot drive in BIOS and Voila! - back in business instantly!

k - what you could do is move all your documents and data onto your flash drive (get a big one) then reinstall your recovery CD using the Format option to wipe your disk, BUT you will still need to install all your programs, then move your data and documents back on the drive afterwards.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    I do something similar, with a few tweaks. I have dual 500 gig drives I'm my pc. One is paritioned into 50 gigs for the C drive, and the other partition is used as a data backup so its not accessed much. The outside 50 gigs of the C partition run much faster than the rest of the drive (think of a merry-go-round, much faster on the outside than the middle). The second 500 gig drive holds my docs, pics, music, etc. I reimage the C drive every 6 months or so and add programs as necessary to the backup image. Works wonders.
    Wes
    The boot record and the page file or swap file go on the inside sections of a hard drive because the data can be accessed quicker. Anywaythe best thing to do to enhance performance is to regularly defragment the drive that will enhance the performance and make the computer run quicker.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not if you have a SSD. No defragging required. Maybe some Space Consolidation.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Guess we know who the computer geeks on the forum are, eh?

Thread Information