Thread: New York State Licensed Optician looking for work

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New York State Licensed Optician looking for work

I'm a New York state Licensed optician currently looking for new employment. I have one year experience working in an optical retail shop. Also 6 months working in an Optical lab edging jobs and doing light amount of 3 piece mounts( notches and plugs ). I live in Manhattan and willing to travel within the 5 boroughs and Yonkers.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or any where that can be easily reached by mass transit since I do not own a vehicle.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    are you will to travel to mount vernon? we maybe in need of a lab tech 646-571-3597

ask for eric

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I may have a possible job opportunity for you, please see my new posting on the Job board titled "Seeking Optician for Brooklyn Practice".
    Tks,
    Kenny

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by genuine15 View Post
    I'm a New York state Licensed optician currently looking for new employment. I have one year experience working in an optical retail shop. Also 6 months working in an Optical lab edging jobs and doing light amount of 3 piece mounts( notches and plugs ). I live in Manhattan and willing to travel within the 5 boroughs and Yonkers.

You may have to move if you can. It seems there is either no shortage of jobs in all of New York state or they are too cheap to advertise. But I did notice one in NY just above here in job section. Just my rant

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    You may have to move if you can. It seems there is either no shortage of jobs in all of New York state or they are too cheap to advertise. But I did notice one in NY just above here in job section. Just my rant
    I have seen a number of doctor offices wanting help but most of the time there base pay is near what most people made in 2000. Most doctors especially NY and especially in Western and Central NY, they just don't pay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    I have seen a number of doctor offices wanting help but most of the time there base pay is near what most people made in 2000. Most doctors especially NY and especially in Western and Central NY, they just don't pay.

I would ditto that along with what I said before you may have to move. It seems at least in NY state that either the opticians are fine where there at or most companies or doctors offices don't hire because they don't want to spend the money. I went on an interview at a doctors office and spoke to the head optician who asked what I was seeking. So I told him and he just cringed and said I have been trying to get the Docs to offer more especially some one like you and your credentials but they won't. They just say hire a new grad. And pay accordingly! Really! Another words who cares about experience we only care about the bottom line. If Docs would look just beyond what an experienced optician could bring they would be willing to pay in a heart beat. But I find in NY state as soon as they see my experience they wont even give me a call to interview so I end up working for the boxes even though I would love to work in a Docs office again. Oh well back to the box.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    I would ditto that along with what I said before you may have to move. It seems at least in NY state that either the opticians are fine where there at or most companies or doctors offices don't hire because they don't want to spend the money. I went on an interview at a doctors office and spoke to the head optician who asked what I was seeking. So I told him and he just cringed and said I have been trying to get the Docs to offer more especially some one like you and your credentials but they won't. They just say hire a new grad. And pay accordingly! Really! Another words who cares about experience we only care about the bottom line. If Docs would look just beyond what an experienced o
    ptician could bring they would be willing to pay in a heart beat. But I find in NY state as soon as they see my experience
    they wont even give me a call to interview so I end up working for the boxes even though I would love to work in a Doc
    s office again. Oh well back to the box.

I agree jediron1. I have been on those interviews too. It doesn't matter that you helped start two stores for doctors and may I say with great success. And it doesn't matter that I have been a manager, buyer and all around go to guy to get t
    hings done. I have straightened out offices that were losing hundreds and thousands because they did not know how to file the insurance properly. What did I get for that a slap on the back well done and six months later let go with a thanks for helping with the insurance. Nice! I could go on and on but the major theme of all these jobs has been once I reached a plateau in money I was let go for a younger and cheaper optician. If Doc's would see beyond the nose on there face they would see what a compendent optician can bring to a practice! All right I'm done with my rant!

Thread Information