Thread: strange neon blue outline through lenses

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

strange neon blue outline through lenses

Hello everybody.. its been a while since I posted a thread so I was wondering if you guys could help me out

A patient came in complaining of seeing a neon blue outline on the edges of white surfaces, particularly her office desk.. They are progressive poly with AR. When I looked through them I verified her complaint

When I look through the distance portion of the lens at our dispensary desk at a distance of about 2 feet I can see a distinct neon blue along the edge of the desk. But when I look through the intermediate or reading it disappears. Also when I looked at a part of our department desk with overhead fluorescent lighting about a foot above the surface the neon blue line was not there. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys again

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like chromatic abberation. It happens sometimes in Poly, but not always noticeable. A different material would probably eliminate that effect.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What kind of power are we talking about? Try looking at a blue LED through the lens and move your head from side to side to see if the blue color smears left and right.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Power is +.75 - .50 and +1.00-.50 with 2.50 add.. She had same exact rx same material same lens options made 6 months ago with no issues which leads me to think it's a fabrication issue.. So I'm thinking chromatic abberation is out if she's worn it before

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You can have different reactions to chromatic abbreviations from one pair to the next. Even with same material and same RX.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So everything equal across the board why would one pair be more noticeable than another in terms of chromatic abberation

Occupation
    New eyeglasses has more prism thinning, reason why CA disappears when viewing through the intermediate, raise the OC.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's what I was possibly thinking but the amount of prism thinning is equal on both pairs of lenses when checked at the PRP.. Also both sets were made less than 6 months apart

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandclaur View Post
    That's what I was possibly thinking but the amount of prism thinning is equal on both pairs of lenses when checked at the PRP.. Also both sets were made less than 6 months apart
    Braheem you beat me to it, check to see how far from the PRP to DRP. It coulld make a difference in this case. Also check the amount of prism at the DRP and compare it to the amount of prism in the old pair at the DRP. You may have to order the lenses without prism thinning, or just get her out of poly.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the advice everybody... As far as the distance from DRP to PRP both sets are the same progressive design...but I will check the prism at the DRP for both pairs..

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandclaur View Post
    A patient came in complaining of seeing a neon blue outline on the edges of white surfaces, particularly her office desk.. They are progressive poly with AR. When I looked through them I verified her complaint

When I look through the distance portion of the lens at our dispensary desk at a distance of about 2 feet I can see a distinct neon blue along the edge of the desk. But when I look through the intermediate or reading it disappears. Also when I looked at a part of our department desk with overhead fluorescent lighting about a foot above the surface the neon blue line was not there. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys again
    If you can see during inspection, then it's probably a manufacturing problem with the lens surface and/or coatings. If you want to be on the safe side, lose the prism thinning and switch to Trivex.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a -5.00 and with my 1.67 high-index pieces of shiat I get yellow or blue outlines whenever a dark object meets a light background, or vice versa. Yellow around mousepads on the white desk, blue around light fixtures against the dark ceiling. Very F*&king annoying.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    I am a -5.00 and with my 1.67 high-index pieces of shiat I get yellow or blue outlines whenever a dark object meets a light background, or vice versa. Yellow around mousepads on the white desk, blue around light fixtures against the dark ceiling. Very F*&king annoying.

That sounds SUPER annoying. This makes me wonder if I have pt's who have had this occur and haven't told me because they didn't know it was supposed to be any different or they aren't vocal enough to complain. What do you think you'll do in the future? Trivex?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    That sounds SUPER annoying. This makes me wonder if I have pt's who have had this occur and haven't told me because they didn't know it was supposed to be any different or they aren't vocal enough to complain. What do you think you'll do in the future? Trivex?
    Most patients will deal with it unless they see a change in material that cleans it up. If you go from trivex back to a poly where this has occured many people will just explain it as blur. Keep in mind that in most PAL's both the distance and the reading are off axis points in the lens so the problem does exists our clients just don't know how to describe it. That is why i have always been an advocate for making judicious choices with lens materials. I now that we all like to have the thinnest but keep in mind that if the reduction in thickness isn't significant I believe that the cost in optics is too great a sacrifice to make. Trivex has proved itself as a material to contend with for this very same reason, 1.60 is a great middle of the road hi index and 1.70-1.71 are great super highs.

Good materials:
    Low Index: 1.50
    Mid to High: Poly
    High: 1.67
    Super High: 1.74

Best Materials:
    Low: Trivex
    Mid to High: 1.60
    High to Super High: 1.70-1.71

Alternatives exists and they are not as cost prohibitive as they once were.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I should mention that I"m a -5.00 sphere, no astig, and it's SOLA HDV 1.67 w/Teflon.

I hate to say this, as I'm supposed to be a huge Zeiss advocate, but I loved my Seiko 1.74s with Crizal much more. Too bad we no longer sell them.

Right now I'm a huge advocate of Trivex. I sell it left and right. The only times it let me down is my fault, when I tried to put a +6.00D into a semi-rimless (Precion 767) frame. I forgot for a second that Trivex wasn't actually a high-index lens, and they came out super thick.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Which brand of lens and which AR coating? I also recently saw this phenomenon on a pair - turned out the brand was from a sub-par Asian back alley lab and the coating from a facility in Kentucky. Their so called version of digital combined with AR for under $10.00 per pair - they got what they paid for.

Thread Information