Thread: I Just Cured My Burnout

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I Just Cured My Burnout

At least for a little while.....

8 yo little girl, in foster care (last 3 weeks with this family), medicaid, no glasses for the past several months. Tracked down last exam from ins. company records.

OD -5.00 -2.00 X whatever
    OS -6.00 -1.75 X whatever

Pulled stock CR39 (because I keep a pair of the full range for just such a thing). New glasses done in 10 minutes. The look on her face when I put them on her reminded me why I have been doing this for 20+ years.

Thomas
    Last edited by tntborden; 11-13-2010 at 05:06 AM.
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread deserves more attention that the Costal Crap one............and is more relevent and newsworthy than the 10,000 pieces of self-serving eyewear solicited by them.

My hat is off to you, tntborden....you are truly the ECP of the day!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yup. +1.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's why we keep coming back. I had one about a year ago, 11 Y.O., first pair, -2.00's. Picked a frame that was more than Mom wanted to spend, but Mom gave in. I was pretty busy, and told them to return in an hour to pick up. After putting them on her face, and watching her whole expression change, she gets up, and gives me a big hug.( I live in the south, and we do that a lot here). PRICELESS!!! Made my day also....

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Love it :D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been an optician for 36 years. There have been many cases like these that I can remember. I was working in Williamsburg , Va. in the late 70's. A teenager came in with an Rx for contact lenses. Her Rx was -15.00-2.75x whatever and -12.00-2.50x whatever. I fit her with soft lenses. The moment we put the lenses in she began to tear, as was expected. I thought that she was just expierencing the natural tear flow associated with a first time wearer. She proceded to start crying. I thought that I had hurt her and asked if I should take them out. "Oh no" she said. As she looked into the mirror she said "This is the first time in my life that I have seen myself clearly without glasses." At that moment we both had tears in our eyes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I should work in a pediatrics office so I can see the look on cute little kids every day instead of grumpy patients that want everything for free. :bbg:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have had 1 experience like that in my 7 years of doing this.
    That is one of the best feelings in the world hope you have many more like it

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Way to go. You get the gold star, blue ribbon, and all the rest that go with it. It's always great to get reminded of why we are here.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Super big smile!!!!!!!!!!!!

OptiBoard Professional brucekrymow's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Very, very nice. Good for you, Thomas. I know what the feeling is like from the kid's perspective: -9.50 OU > 1st glasses in the early 70's > saw leaves on a tree, grass blades in the lawn & more that likewise brought about honest, emotional weeping when a whole new world is opened up to an already curious kid.

Optivision, Inc.
    LMS Lab Software
    Remote Tracing/Edging

602.277.2614 x2

www.optivision.com
    www.digitaltrace.net
    bruce@optivision.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Thomas good to hear from you again, Its Ginny. I know what your saying just when you want to change careers something amazing happens, Im glad she came in to see you, your a good optician and it would be a loss if you left the industry.

Best regards, Hope all is well with the Family, Ginny

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome job. Glad you aren't so crusty and disillusioned that you can't recognize the miracle before your eyes. You changed someone's life today. Good on you!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Makes it worthwhile:)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I had one of these experiences a few weeks ago. Had a lady come in with her three year old boy. His Rx was -17.5 +4.00. She had been to a few other places that either told her 'no, we can't', or that it would be weeks. Even though it was outside of the range of what I'm 'supposed to do' in-house, there was no way I was letting them down. 48 minutes later, they were ready. That little fella's smile was as big as the whole store! Made my whole week! That's why we do it, ain't it?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulX608 View Post
    I had one of these experiences a few weeks ago. Had a lady come in with her three year old boy. His Rx was -17.5 +4.00. She had been to a few other places that either told her 'no, we can't', or that it would be weeks. Even though it was outside of the range of what I'm 'supposed to do' in-house, there was no way I was letting them down. 48 minutes later, they were ready. That little fella's smile was as big as the whole store! Made my whole week! That's why we do it, ain't it?
    Although helping an adult is heart warming it's the kids smiles and expressions that really get to me. When they first put their glasses on and see clearly for the first time there is no substitute for the smile and the "Geeze" that follows. I will never get my fill of those expierences.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always wanted to work in a pediatric practice...Kids are my favorite patients, although at times the parents can be a challenge. Lord knows if I got out of optical and one of my boys needs glasses, I will probably be one of those picky parents in the dispensary for an hour............

Thread Information