Thread: Edge Polish

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm just curious what's everyone favorite method and materials used in edge polishing plastic and polycarb lenses. I've used krystal kleer with a muslin buff wheel for many years, just wondering what everyone else is using. Rich R

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A company named Inland sells a clear liquid that polishes poly.

Confused

That clear liquid for polishing poly is some NASTY stuff though.....I have always preffered to keep it out of my lab. If ya have a good edger and keep the polish wheel in good shape, you should be able to buff a lens in just a matter of seconds after run on the polish cycle....

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

For high index or CR39.. I, like you, love the sticks of polish.. get it from Chemko.. as for the poly's? well PSI puts out an edge coat that is great... just one "swipe" around with a Q-tip dipped in it and it's spit shine :) .. I don't like to take and chances with poly on a wheel for a couple of reasons.. first, some people are not as careful as I am in the lab and it's very easy to craze a poly or scuff it.. second it tie's up time of my finisher's when they could be producing work :) while any body can slap that edge coat on there alot quicker..It's not really that bad ..I keep a small bowl (tupperware to be exact) with a hole punched in the top that a Q-Tip fits right through and a can with a hole to pop the Q-tip into when you are done.. no fuss no muss :).. I have NEVER destroyed a poly edge coating it like this BUT have had techs destroy a poly on a buff wheel...
    Just a differing opinion then some others..

Jeff" Grind'em if ya got'em" Trail

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

You need to look at some new edging equipment!!!!
    I have recently used the Santinelli Eye Mac, and the polish from the machine is incredible, not to mention no more buff or burn marks.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    We have a klear edge polisher that accomodates first a 400grit paper that sticks to a felt pad, we fine the edges on the paper first, then polishes withe the stick polish on the flat felt pad at a moderate speed. use the same process for fining and polishing facet cuts. polishing beveled edges; we have a felt pad with a groove cut in it.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just looking for opinions...does polishing the edge reduce the "rings" or make them more noticeable because of internal reflections?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

edge polishing

Dear All

I hate polished edges
    I think it creates so much internal reflection

Ive got a patient who has glass 1.8 in a silver frame
    How can I tone down the white edges?

Thanks in advance:o

Alan

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Nasty Stuff...................

Quote Originally Posted by HenryB

That clear liquid for polishing poly is some NASTY stuff though.....I have always preffered to keep it out of my lab. .
    There is lot's of nasty stuff around. In your daily optical environment, car, in your garage, in your paint can and so forth. Every time you use your windshield washer you breeth the fuemes of methanol through your air conditioning system. (methanol is wood alcohol, ingestion can lead to blindness)

You have to take the proper precautions and ventilation when handling chemicals of any type and for any use.

One of the nastiest stuff's is your lens dye neutralizer which is based on ether glycol or etylene glycol which when heated emit fumes that create long term damage to kidney's and liver. Some of the optical dyes also contain some nasty ingredients and all of you dont care about it because it has been used forever and you dont worry about it.

The US armed forces are now prohibiting the use of tinting units by their optical departments located in new central air conditioned buildings because of above stated reasons.

Thread Information