Thread: Customer assurance that a quality lens manufacturer is used?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Customer assurance that a quality lens manufacturer is used?

Edit: just realized the title should be asking how I know a quality lens lab or craftsman is used, not really getting into the manufacturer of the materials here.

I think this question isn't going too far - I’m a consumer just trying to learn as much as possible and get the best pair of glasses…

…because I have really bad eyes (one worse than the other) due to PMD and they can only be corrected with rigid contact lenses. I need to update my eyeglasses to use at the end of the day around the house. My rx is:
    -18.00 +3.00 x 10
    -11.75 +4.25 x 5

Per my ophthalmologist I should be looking at small (≤38mm), round frames and that makes sense to me. From what I understand a strong prescription is more difficult to produce and that’s where the quality/skill of a lens maker starts to really come into play…is that fair to say?

…because my local search with prescription in hand is driven mainly by finding some frames that are at least “interesting” or possibly cool (long shot) given my limited choices and I’ll be going to a lot of places to try out what they have. I haven’t been very impressed with the few places I’ve visited but to be fair they’re geared to budget or fashion – I have more places to go.

But the question I keep asking myself is how do I know my prescription is getting sent out to the best place possible to do the job? In many cases it seems like I’m dealing with a broker that relies heavily on the reputation of the material (Zeis, Shore, Nikon, etc…) but, the way I understand, they just provide blanks and the real craftsmanship gets done by someone else. Unfortunately I don't even have someone who can 'hook me up'.

The last time I bought something from a broker, a diamond, I got an education along with a series of demonstrations under a magnifier and a certificate presented as proof that what I’m getting is exactly what I ordered at a fair market price.

I hope no one gets offended with that broker analogy because I realize it’s a world of difference – just trying to illustrate the question….

…what can I do/ask to make sure I’m getting the best work for my money? I could be dropping a decent chunk of change on a pair of glasses soon and I think I might have some special challenges with my Rx. I’ve spent a lot of time and money getting custom rigid lenses and I know that not just anyone could do that job…

I live in Los Angeles if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks!
    Last edited by -C; 11-11-2010 at 06:05 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While posting on an internet forum may seem smart.......you are forgetting that local "networking" information is KING. Ask your ophthalmologist for a referral to a skilled optician. I am sure they will assist you. Ask your contact lens fitter...they know the local skilled people.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Because of the power, not too many of the "oh well" labs would be willing to do your Rx. That being said, put your trust in your ECP. If the lenses do not meet standards of quality, he/she will deal with it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ask your optician to extoll the virtues of the 1.70 index lens. If they know nothing about it-try a different one.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with the 1.70 material. Dragon, Mike or myself could make it, but it is better done by a lab that your optician has worked with before. I sent this to an optician that I know in LA, I'm hopeing Grubbie gets back on it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by -C View Post
    Edit: just realized the title should be asking how I know a quality lens lab or craftsman is used, not really getting into the manufacturer of the materials here.

I think this question isn't going too far - I’m a consumer just trying to learn as much as possible and get the best pair of glasses…

…because I have really bad eyes (one worse than the other) due to PMD and they can only be corrected with rigid contact lenses. I need to update my eyeglasses to use at the end of the day around the house. My rx is:
    -18.00 +3.00 x 10
    -11.75 +4.25 x 5

Per my ophthalmologist I should be looking at small (≤38mm), round frames and that makes sense to me. From what I understand a strong prescription is more difficult to produce and that’s where the quality/skill of a lens maker starts to really come into play…is that fair to say?

But the question I keep asking myself is how do I know my prescription is getting sent out to the best place possible to do the job? In many cases it seems like I’m dealing with a broker that relies heavily on the reputation of the material (Zeis, Shore, Nikon, etc…) but, the way I understand, they just provide blanks and the real craftsmanship gets done by someone else. Unfortunately I don't even have someone who can 'hook me up'.

Thanks!
    What you're really asking, whether you know it or not, is "can I trust the people I'm ordering my glasses from?" To which the answer is "As much as you can trust any professional in any other field that is doing work for you that you know little to nothing about."

As suggested before, I would ask your Ophthalmologist for a recommendation for an optician.

A bit of educational background as to the process that produces your glasses: Your optician helps you pick out the frame and lenses. (S)He then places the order with a wholesale lab (provided you didn't go to a chain store. Most of them have their own labs that do the work). That lab then procured the lens blanks needed and puts your Rx into the lenses. Then, depending on your optician, either the lab puts the lenses into the frames, or they are sent to the optician to do this. Then you get a phone call that says they are ready and you come pick them up. At at least three points in the process the lenses are checked for quality (no surface defects, correct Rx, etc.). This is, of course, the very simple overview of how it works.

Generally speaking, just as in any service industry, an optical lab that does not do good work, doesn't last very long. And of course, whether or not you see clearly out of them is a good starting point to how well they were made.

Oh, and we do 1.70 as well.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'm thinking way too much about it and should just find someone to trust.
    I guess I had it in my head because finding someone for my contacts and making them fit was really difficult but that's a different thing.
    ...and Wfruit - that's a good point about all the check points. I didn't think about that before because I took picking out eyeglasses for granted. My right eye degenerated pretty quick (~7 years...at least from my perception) and now I think about it more.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by -C; 11-11-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Thread Information