Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could design a PAL any way you wanted it, what would it be?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

If you could design a PAL any way you wanted it, what would it be?

I know we all have our favorite lenses to fit, but the question is, if you were in the drivers seat as far as designing your ultimate favorite progressive what would it be? Why would it be that way? What would you call it? Lets have some fun with this one!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This would be done for marketing/sales reasons. I don't know what I will call it, yet.

I want something with all the bells and whistles and more. It will be as good as the Autograph II or similar premiums, but at a Generic price. It may only be available in limited materials and range in Prog, SV, Wrap and Office styles, but.....

Occupation
    Well those goals arent that far out of reach....Are you sure you haven't read the IOT Catalog?? ::end of pitch::

Occupation
    I've seen it, but I need one that is FULLY customiseable. Would need to compensate for panto, dihedral, vertex, frame size and shape, everything. I didn't see anything on the website or on the info that CC Systems sent me.

What I'm tring to say is, I want something that is better than anything currently on the market.

Occupation
    I think almost all of what's wanted in a Free Form progressive is already out there (except the slab-offs). We already have POW compensations, frame compensations, and wrap compensations, as well as decentration within the single vision blank. Now we just need it less expensive.....

I suppose the ulitmate lens would be a completely distortion free progressive.... or at least one where all of the distortion was cut out during edging even going into a 60 eye frame....

And I would name my lens the Parabola! Because the back surface no longer is.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Also, I want a Free Form in Glass. I don't care that the glass market supposedly is dying, we do 200+ glass jobs a day, and I've had two accounts ask me about it this week. I'm guessing that it's much more of a hardware issue than a software issue.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Also, I want a Free Form in Glass. I don't care that the glass market supposedly is dying, we do 200+ glass jobs a day, and I've had two accounts ask me about it this week. I'm guessing that it's much more of a hardware issue than a software issue.
    I would say it is impossible. Darryl Meister is the one that would know for sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spherical front surface - back surface smoothed, flexible corridor length to 30 mm. (currently the rodenstock/zeiss/sola/essilor products all allow you to change the length of the seg, some even offer front surface spherical designs, but the corridor length is restricted.)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Spherical front (able to specify front curve 2 diotpers up or down from optimal curve) with a variable corridor back surface design, latest generation. Must have the ability to blend the back curve to a minimal thickness.

Asymetrical, horizontal symetry, variable near inset, PRP to DRP of 4mm (for consistency), and a partridge in a pear tree. :D

Maybe a hard and soft version, or a near emphasis and far emphasis versions.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spherical front, variable corridor length AND width, capacity to weight the pwr change as needed through the corridor (ie: more area for intermediate than near, and the opposite), ability to blend back curve with opposing curve to minimize thickness (Similar to an old blended myodisc). And finally a desk top machine that creates the lens and edges, run by the equivilant of a glorified dremmel and a vacuum.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I vote for keeping the PALs as they are, and re-inventing our patients. I'd want one of those things from the movie 'Men in Black', where you shine a light at the patient, and wam!, all the bad things that their cousin's aunt's neighbor's son told them about progressives would just blow away, like leaves in the fall.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I would say it is impossible. Darryl Meister is the one that would know for sure.
    Spherical front, design fully back surfaced should be possible, at least from a design standpoint. I think the biggest issue is getting someone to make a generator to cut it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    Spherical front surface - back surface smoothed, flexible corridor length to 30 mm. (currently the rodenstock/zeiss/sola/essilor products all allow you to change the length of the seg, some even offer front surface spherical designs, but the corridor length is restricted.)
    You want the Shamir Autograph II Variable. Corridor length between 6 and 13. I shudder to think what the frame would look like that needs a 30mm corridor....unless you're including the near area in that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Spherical front, design fully back surfaced should be possible, at least from a design standpoint. I think the biggest issue is getting someone to make a generator to cut it.
    Generating can be done now, Schneider, et al, make glass freeform generators. The problem is getting the polished properly.

Occupation
    Ok, moving on to more specialized lenses, I'd like a good Free Form golfing lens. There is already the Definity Fairway, which I understand works fairly well, but there could be more customization, such as the person's height affecting the viewing powers when looking down at the ball.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperoptic View Post
    I know we all have our favorite lenses to fit, but the question is, if you were in the drivers seat as far as designing your ultimate favorite progressive what would it be? Why would it be that way? What would you call it? Lets have some fun with this one!!
    I think a PAL that would benefit customers the most would be one that was generic, anyone with a freeform could make without click fees to anyone. Then ultimately progressives would become just a lens type. They would not cost nearly as much as now. You know a progressive is as cheaply molded as SVs and easier than flat tops. When the orders were made you would just request a progressive. It would be just another lens type on the RX. Not 14 different choices on the RX. Practitioners would then be free to chose without perks from manufacturers clouding their judgement.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I think a PAL that would benefit customers the most would be one that was generic, anyone with a freeform could make without click fees to anyone. Then ultimately progressives would become just a lens type. They would not cost nearly as much as now. You know a progressive is as cheaply molded as SVs and easier than flat tops. When the orders were made you would just request a progressive. It would be just another lens type on the RX. Not 14 different choices on the RX. Practitioners would then be free to chose without perks from manufacturers clouding their judgement.
    Been saying the same thing for about 3 years or so. The only people here that agree with me are trying to do it too. It's the reason I tried to buy DAC Intl.

Occupation
    Does anyone from IOT or Younger check this anymore??

Occupation
    I check it everyday! My plan and purpose for this thread was to get what you; the Opticians wanted in your lenses, my interjections may have served only to poison the pot. By looking at what is found here we can get your input on shaping the destiny of the next generation of lens designs.
    Last edited by hyperoptic; 01-12-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clicked submit on accident

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Hi, we have been producing Free-Form slaboff lenses for about 3 years. Your wish is grant it! Send your Free-Form Rx any time; Paqnto, Facial Form angle, and Vertex Distance will be helpful.

Michael Walach, QUEST OPTICAL SPECIALTY LAB, www.questopticallab.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    ...I meant granted :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Well, I also meant panto. I think it's getting late, the happy hour is on.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It would be free of all distortion and abberation at all points. Would require little diversion from center to reading position for most of add power to be achieved. Cost me $10.00 and sell for $200.00.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One that would work well for distance and intermediate, no near, extra wide.
    Yes I know you can putz around and do that with the Sola Acess, but the distance Rx range is too small. This would be used for an industrial computer that someone uses mostly while standing above it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    One that would work well for distance and intermediate, no near, extra wide.
    Yes I know you can putz around and do that with the Sola Acess, but the distance Rx range is too small. This would be used for an industrial computer that someone uses mostly while standing above it.
    Shamir Free Form Office. What Rx range are you looking for?

Thread Information