Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frames for a "fat" head

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Frames for a "fat" head

What frame dimensions would be considered "large"? I have been asked about whether my frames would fit a large head. I have a frame that is 48/24. Would that fall into that classification?
    US distributor for Copenhagen Eyes handmade titanium frames http://www.sceye.se/copenhageneyes/index.html

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper What frame dimensions would be considered "large"?...................................

Quote Originally Posted by engnenk View Post

What frame dimensions would be considered "large"? I have been asked about whether my frames would fit a large head. I have a frame that is 48/24. Would that fall into that classification?

Not even close....................In the 1970's during the heyday's of large frames, mens frames came in 50-52-54-56-and some in 58 frames with bridges at 18-20-22.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A 48/24 could fit a large head........if the DBT(Distance between temples) is specified. This is an uncommon frame specification measurement, has nothing to do with lens and nasal size, but is an ideal method to compare frame widths.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

A 48/24 could fit a large head........if the DBT(Distance between temples) is specified. This is an uncommon frame specification measurement, has nothing to do with lens and nasal size, but is an ideal method to compare frame widths.
    For many years, the measurement of eyeglass frames was a mixture of methods and numbers. There was no one standard by which all frames were measured. Since 1962, however, all frames made by the members of the Optical Manufacturers Association have been measured and marked using one system, called the BOXING SYSTEM of frame measurement. It is now the official standard for the industry.

The Boxing System uses a constant reference point for all measurements,
    the bevel apex of the edged lens. This reduces the chance for error in interpreting the prescription. All dimensions are expressed in millimeters. (See American National Standard Requirements for Dress Ophthalmic Frames, Z80.5, for a detailed explanation of how the Boxing System is applied to dress ophthalmic frames).

The A-dimension is the distance between vertical tangents; the B-dimension is the distance between horizontal tangents; the intersection of the Box Diagonals defines the center of the lens shape

Consider the lens shape shown in Figure 5-1. If we draw a square that completely encloses the lens, then the lens is called a boxed lens. For reference, we say that the box sides are tangent (they touch but do not intersect) to the bevel apex of the lens. This is an important concept in the standardization process. It allows us to compare the size of both frame and lens at the same time. So when we say a frame has certain dimensions, we really mean that a lens of that dimension will fit the frame.

The vertical measurement of a frame is known as the B-dimension.
    It is sometimes referred to as the frame depth. The horizontal measurement of a frame is called the A-Dimension. It is also called
    the eyesize.

The intersection of the two box diagonals defines the box center.
    The box center is the geometric center (GC) of the frame opening or aperture. It is also called the geometric center of a lens edged
    for a given frame.

Note the "N" printed on the lens shape. This indicates the location
    of the shape relative to the nose. "N" stands for the nasal direction. The opposite or temporal side of the frame shape is in the direction of the patient's temples.

Figure 5-2 Boxed Frame Design

In Figure 5-2, the letters stand for the major dimensions of a frame front. Suppose you have boxed both the right and left lenses (one pair) as if they were inserted into their frame. If you did, the boxed pair would look like those in Figure 5-2. As you can see by looking at the diagram, two new dimensions have been added. One is called the DBL, or the Distance Between Lenses. The DBL is equal to the minimum horizontal distance between two lenses that are mounted in a frame. The measurement is taken from the bevel apex of one lens to the bevel apex of the other. In the Boxing Sys-tem, the DBL is referred to as the "bridge size" of the frame.

By looking at Figure 5-2, you can also see that a name has been
    given to the distance between the geometric centers of the lenses. It is the DBC. In the jargon of our industry, the DBC is often referred to as the "frame PD." PD stands for "interpupillary distance" and will be discussed in more detail a little later. The "frame PD" (DBC) is computed according to the following formula:

source: http://www.eyeglasslenses.com/conten...asurements.asp

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I wouldn't consider a 48-24 frame a large one, it's good to see someone selling a medium-sized frame with a 24mm bridge. Some people have wide noses, and most frame lines don't have models which fit those people. There have been a few times in the last couple months when I've had to modify a frame to fit someone; if I've seen that in my low-volume shop, I can only imagine how many people go through busier establishments with the need for a wider-than-normal bridge. For some, the 16-20 mm range for bridge size just won't do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The 48-24 size would work out, if you also make the endpieces stick out at least 5mm from the temporal edge of the lens to further widen the overall width.
    Try this: go to a supermarket, buy a round seedless watermelon, stick on a Mr Potato Head nose and ears and make your frame fit that model.:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anything above a 53 eye size . Take into account the temples some women still will wear a 135 temple or a 140 temple. Most men in a 54 or larger eye size will wear 145 to 150 temple. its hard to find large contemporary frames for ladies, easyier for men.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are a couple of larger V Heusen frames, "Big Man" moniker, IIRC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Try this: go to a supermarket, buy a round seedless watermelon, stick on a Mr Potato Head nose and ears and make your frame fit that model.:bbg:
    Oh my god, almost spit my coffee out. I think you've discovered the only model that accurately portrays my own head.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, just wondering if anyone knows what brands to check out for a px with a very large head. Ideally 62/20 (he could go larger in the eyesize), temples are around 150-155mm. I've never had someone this size before and the brands I use don't cover it. Thanks in advance guys!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The XXL line by A&A optical seems to fit almost many large heads.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Bad address email on file vivacia's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We carry the XXL brand and have had good luck with them. We also carry BMEC and BIGGU frames. We are a smaller shop and like to have frames for everyone. We even carry small line for petite ladies. You gotta find your niche. :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another vote for XXL. We carry them and the styles work for younger men too--way more selection that just big double bars. I've seen the Biggu line and it looks good, but don't carry it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oga

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally Posted by uncut

So correct! The eye size has very little to do with what size head it'll fit!! Anyone who has been paying attention to decreasing eyesizes has noticed guys who use to wear 56 eye sizes now wear 48 eye sizes. It's all in the frame design. I had a guy wearing the Bush Senior 57 eye zeiss frame. He's now wearing an amazing Italian Vanni frame that measures 42 x 21 & guess what, it fits him just fine! And his Rx is high minus, so his lenses are no longer coke bottles.

There are 45 eye sizes designed to fit little kids & OMG there are 42 eye size frames that'll fit the kid's dad! I love the distance between the temples measurement uncut. So true! Umm, sounds like you know what you're doing.

and as Dragonlensman said, or this is my translation, if the design isn't giving you the extra extension off the temporal corners, then you can change the design yourself & add a good 5mm or so at the end pieces, & for poops & giggles he suggests going to the supermarket & trying it on Mr. Potato head..... for final inspection I assume! Nice.
    Last edited by eyechick1969; 05-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Chris Ryser;369443]For many years, the measurement of eyeglass frames was a mixture of methods and numbers. There was no one standard by which all frames were measured. Since 1962, however, all frames made by the members of the Optical Manufacturers Association have been measured and marked using one system, called the BOXING SYSTEM of frame measurement. It is now the official standard for the industry.

The Boxing System uses a constant reference point for all measurements,
    the bevel apex of the edged lens. This reduces the chance for error in interpreting the prescription. All dimensions are expressed in millimeters. (See American National Standard Requirements for Dress Ophthalmic Frames, Z80.5, for a detailed explanation of how the Boxing System is applied to dress ophthalmic frames).

The A-dimension is the distance between vertical tangents; the B-dimension is the distance between horizontal tangents; the intersection of the Box Diagonals defines the center of the lens shape

Consider the lens shape shown in Figure 5-1. If we draw a square that completely encloses the lens, then the lens is called a boxed lens. For reference, we say that the box sides are tangent (they touch but do not intersect) to the bevel apex of the lens. This is an important concept in the standardization process. It allows us to compare the size of both frame and lens at the same time. So when we say a frame has certain dimensions, we really mean that a lens of that dimension will fit the frame.

The vertical measurement of a frame is known as the B-dimension.
    It is sometimes referred to as the frame depth. The horizontal measurement of a frame is called the A-Dimension. It is also called
    the eyesize.

The intersection of the two box diagonals defines the box center.
    The box center is the geometric center (GC) of the frame opening or aperture. It is also called the geometric center of a lens edged
    for a given frame.

Note the "N" printed on the lens shape. This indicates the location
    of the shape relative to the nose. "N" stands for the nasal direction. The opposite or temporal side of the frame shape is in the direction of the patient's temples.

Figure 5-2 Boxed Frame Design

In Figure 5-2, the letters stand for the major dimensions of a frame front. Suppose you have boxed both the right and left lenses (one pair) as if they were inserted into their frame. If you did, the boxed pair would look like those in Figure 5-2. As you can see by looking at the diagram, two new dimensions have been added. One is called the DBL, or the Distance Between Lenses. The DBL is equal to the minimum horizontal distance between two lenses that are mounted in a frame. The measurement is taken from the bevel apex of one lens to the bevel apex of the other. In the Boxing Sys-tem, the DBL is referred to as the "bridge size" of the frame.

By looking at Figure 5-2, you can also see that a name has been
    given to the distance between the geometric centers of the lenses. It is the DBC. In the jargon of our industry, the DBC is often referred to as the "frame PD." PD stands for "interpupillary distance" and will be discussed in more detail a little later. The "frame PD" (DBC) is computed according to the following formula:

Not sure you answered the original posters question but you copy & pasted some technical measuring techniques real well.

48/24 is the eye size in question. With a 24 bridge, sounds like that frame is headed in the right direction for fitting a wider (fat) head as you put it. Average bridges are 18ish, so 24 is a wider bridge.

The wider the bridge, the longer the extensions are at the temporal corners of the frame combined with the eyesize determines how fat a head a frame will fit. Distance between temples is all that really matters.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, eyesize means nothing. I had frames back in the '70's that were as big as 65mm, but had bridges smaller than 10mm. Then there was the Carlos.....as large as a 58mm with bridges up to 28mm.

The Tura frame I wore in the early '90's was a 60 eye.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My sun's are a 60 eye with a 17 bridge. However, I do in fact have a big fat head. Non of my husbands hats fit me, and he has a HUGE head. Of course, for clear glasses I go smaller though, anywhere from a 48 to a 54, depending on design.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    +1 on XXL by A&A
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Not even close....................In the 1970's during the heyday's of large frames, mens frames came in 50-52-54-56-and some in 58 frames with bridges at 18-20-22.
    OH BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE!! Really?? uncut thinks this could work & I do too!

Where are you getting your facts from bud?
    Oh google that's right!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Yeah, eyesize means nothing. I had frames back in the '70's that were as big as 65mm, but had bridges smaller than 10mm. Then there was the Carlos.....as large as a 58mm with bridges up to 28mm.

The Tura frame I wore in the early '90's was a 60 eye.
    I agree, eye size means very little. It's about 1/3 rd of the equation. sorries.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    equation

(eye size x 2) + bridge + (temporal extensions x 2) = DBT (distance between temples) = how fat a head a frame will fit.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyechick1969 View Post
    equation

(eye size x 2) + bridge + (temporal extensions x 2) = DBT (distance between temples) = how fat a head a frame will fit.
    I like the equation :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We are more polite. We don't call them fat heads. We call them melon heads. It's an ongoing challenge.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    And how many of these "smaller frames" being used to fit a larger head will have spring temple failure over time? How many patients will come back with excruciating temporal 'behind-the-ear' pain from the temples being forced into the skin and underlaying muscle tissue?

58+ eyesize, preferably even 60, or 62 if you can find it and as wide a bridge as possible.

I also run into this from time to time as a number of my customers have 'dreadies' and instead of using the temple over the ear as designed, they thread them through the dreads.

Thread Information