Thread: Lens coating machine/generator

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Lens coating machine/generator

Hi Everyone,
    I want to start working polycarbonate lenses at my lab.
    I know nothing about coating and was hoping for some advice as to which coater i should get. From research I see the Ultra optic Mini gets high ratings on these forums but the Chemalux 100 also does AR coating!!
    ALso I am thinking about buying a refurbished SGX I still use a 108ct generator. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Trinilab

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not familiar with the newer coating machines, as I used high production coaters, but I've used the SGX, and it was a good, reliable piece of equipment. It can also grind a very wide range of Rxs, along with the capacity to make fining and polishing tools. It works well for a small lab.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome!
    Ultra Optics is the way to go!

Occupation
    Thanks. I was especially unsure about the Coater since it is totally alien territory to me.
    I was advised not get a used or refurbished coater by another lab ower here in Trinidad. He got a used Coater and after 4 months he is yet to coat a lens properly. He did get a stratum which i realize is the worst possible move he could have made...
    Last edited by trinilab; 10-28-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Mistake

Occupation
    Does anyone have an opinion and the Quest EZ Coat Coater?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We've got a Quest EZ Coater and it works well. Just make sure that you keep up with the preventive maintenence for it. Since you're new to coating, make sure that when they install it, they teach you how to use it and stay an extra day to answer any questions or issues that come up.

As for the Generator, the SGX is a wonderful machine. But keep the 108 as a backup. There are a few things it can do that aren't as easy on the SGX. Any reason why you're going for an older generator? It's good and all, but I'd be looking at a Digial Generator.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    We've got a Quest EZ Coater and it works well. Just make sure that you keep up with the preventive maintenence for it. Since you're new to coating, make sure that when they install it, they teach you how to use it and stay an extra day to answer any questions or issues that come up.

As for the Generator, the SGX is a wonderful machine. But keep the 108 as a backup. There are a few things it can do that aren't as easy on the SGX. Any reason why you're going for an older generator? It's good and all, but I'd be looking at a Digial Generator.
    You are going to be the first Free Form in Trinidad!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you in Port of Spain?

Occupation
    I am not getting a newer Generator because I cant afford it or dont think i can afford new ones.
    so I am most likely going to get rebuilt machines. I have no real preference for the SGX but it seems to be fairly highly rated on forums.
    First Free Form in Trinidad??? Well I am not sure what the bigger labs use in regards to machines but I am sure they would be Semi Digital i.e. As far as I know true free form (digital) is both back and front of lens surfacing?? But I would bet there is someone here who has gone digital (back of lens). My main problem is lack of knowledge. I read forums etc. and do research. but normally do not know where to look. for example I tried to find a video of sgx in operation on you tube but kept getting the DTL. So I am not sure exactly how it works.
    I tend to pick up things quickly but I love advice especially at these prices...
    Nope not in Port of Spain. I am in Eastern Trinidad

Occupation
    Depending on what lab software you are using the SGX is fairly simple to use. If you integrate the SGX into the software, all you have to do is enter the job number (or tray number), double check the numbers, put the lens in, and hit start. If you're manually entering the curves into the SGX it still isn't bad but not as effecient as it could be (although more effecient than the 108..... you'll be able to put a lens in, do something else, and come back when the lens is done, rather than being stuck at the machine). The SGX is no longer the best out there, but it's still a good solid machine.

As far as Free Form, well, there's still argument over here as to how to define it as well..... So far I think we can all agree that the a Free From lens does not have a molded front.....

As far as training and such I would start by contacting VSI. Here is their web site: http://www.patternless.com/default.aspx

You can find all of their contact information on their contact page, and while they mainly focus on the Finishing side, I'm sure they can put you in touch with someone if they can't help you.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I own an optronics 2G and will never go back to an SGX.

Ultra optics UV-NV ready is the way to go for a coater.

Occupation
    [QUOTE=braheem24;368523]I own an optronics 2G and will never go back to an SGX.

Any particular reason?
    Thanks
    By the way how difficult is it to replace the blades?

Occupation
    I pretty much agree with Braheem24.:D You may also want to check the Optek SL, Contour and Contour Max generators. http://www.optek-online.com/ They may have or know where there is a rebuilt unit. They are at times seen on Ebay or Barry Sheppards list www.usedlabs.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does Optronic still supports them?

Occupation
    Thanks one and all for the help
    I think I am going with the Vista 2g and Ultra Rx Coater

Occupation
    Good choices :) Barry Sheppard has both on his list in rebuilt condition with a warrenty You may want to check. http://usedopti.ipower.com/Home.html
    Last edited by Jacqui; 11-08-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Changed to working link

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I didnt like the SGX because it was harder to clean, circuit boards were exposed to dust. If you do a lot of Hi-index they have an electrostatic charge when they come off the blade, I dont think it's a good idea to have the boards exposed especially to electrostatic debris, secondly it's a finicky machine compared to the 2G, monitor is not built-in, keyboard is not built-in, it's just not finished or thought out like a 2G.

Make sure your Vista 2G includes a PC with visual lab software.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Does Optronic still supports them?

They're still supporting my Vista 1, so I guess so.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Confused AR Coating Machine

Heyy Everybody,

i have just registrated here. i would like ask a question to all experienced forum users. i need to know brands name of the AR Coating Machine which is produced in Korean Public (north or south doesn t matter) could anybody help me about this inquiry:(:(:(

Occupation
    I keep hearing about those from the Chinese, but can find no information on them. The closest I've found is the Nidek from Japan.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    thank you so much jacqui

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I didnt like the SGX because it was harder to clean, circuit boards were exposed to dust. If you do a lot of Hi-index they have an electrostatic charge when they come off the blade, I dont think it's a good idea to have the boards exposed especially to electrostatic debris, secondly it's a finicky machine compared to the 2G, monitor is not built-in, keyboard is not built-in, it's just not finished or thought out like a 2G.
    Sounds like somebody tried to save money on the vacuum--there are no dust problems when properly outfitted. The SGX is actually an extemely robust machine that has stood the test of time. One of its better attributes is that it does use off-the-shelf monitors...which can be replaced as needed for very little $$$. The sealed membrane keypad is sufficient for all day-to-day activities and the PC keyboard is only required for very special activities--keep it in your desk. Embedded equipment would be extremely difficult and expensive to replace.
    RT

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Stick out tongue 2g generator

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    They're still supporting my Vista 1, so I guess so.
    Can somebody help me with the installation of 2G generator and how to operate it . Thanks

Thread Information