Thread: Polarized Lenses do they really ma.......

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Polarized Lenses do they really ma.......

Do they really make a difference in the car????? I realize they are good for water and reflection off the snow.

In regular overcast or bright sunny day conditions, do they truly make the difference????

Some people swear by it and i believe they are over hyped.

How are your polarized sunglass or rx sunglass sales vs non-polarized???

I think choosing the right tint colour is the better route but the way polarized lenses have been marketed it's dificult to convince the customer that a rose tint would be better for golf than a grey polarized lens for example.

They also disrupt your vision if your car has a digital dashboard or speedometer.

What are your thoughts.......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Take a drive in the early morning after sunrise or in the evening before sunset when window/dashboard glare is at it's worst. Polarized has enabled me to become a better driver in these conditions.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    Do they really make a difference in the car????? I realize they are good for water and reflection off the snow.

In regular overcast or bright sunny day conditions, do they truly make the difference????

I think choosing the right tint colour is the better route but the way polarized lenses have been marketed it's dificult to convince the customer that a rose tint would be better for golf than a grey polarized lens for example.

They also disrupt your vision if your car has a digital dashboard or speedometer.

Yes. Customers NEVER complain that their polarized lenses do not get dark enough. Why do you not try some and see. If you are in the biz, call some manufacturers and see if they will comp a pair. transisions do not change in the car.
    I like my gray A pair.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There is a line of lenses from Younger Optics called "Drivewear" that are both polarized and photochromic (like Transition lenses) and are formulated to darken/fade according to ambient light conditions, even behind the windshield of a car. Some other lens lines (like Shamir) are also available in the Drivewear material. Drivewear lenses are currently either hard-resin or polycarbonate-based and include SV and PAL lens formats; higher index Drivewear material is also on the way (so I've heard).

http://www.drivewearlens.com
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-23-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polarized lenses function best when sources of polarized light are intense or at least present. Nature creates polarized light under three conditions;
    1) water
    2) ice
    3) freshly fallen snow, and snow that has thawed, and refrozen.

All other sources are man-made, such as the shiny dash(you could buy a better engineered car), street surfaces,approaching vehicle surfaces, storefront finishes, etc.

Some occupations excluded comfort with polarized sunglasses....where LED read-outs require attention, and some GPS/guidance screens have polarized filter faces. At the present time locomotive engineers could benefit, but can't read their screens properly. Some operators of flat window equipment, especially aftermarket tinted ones have difficulty seeing because the stress patterns show up.

Some people note a reduced acuity with polarized sunglasses, especially those that have had non-polarized sunglasses previously. That is why, typically, some polarized sunglasses are a few transmission % points lighter than their non-polarized counterparts.

In my location, the majority of sunglasses dispensed are not polarized, but it is a very slim majority.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Make your own tints...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post

How right you are. It is a total hype affair, at a higher price and therefore better income at the retail end without thinking that the profitability is always better if you can produce it yourself.

Polaroid has some good points but driving is not the most important one as you constantly move fast and they only work when going against the sun.

To make the the special tints yourself in your finishing lab will give the glasses as much value as your customer gets an even better vision with a tint that has been made for a special purpose.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I used to hate and therefore avoided long drives. I was given a voucher for Drivewear by Dave Rips and have been a staunch supporter of Drivewear since.
    Fatigue is lifted by these high definition lenses.I am amazed at the elimination of driving fatigue by these lenses. I used to be dead tired after the 6 hour drive to my son's apartment in columbus and back to Toledo. Wearing Drivewear Image Progressives are so much better that I'm not even tired after this drive. It's amazing! One drive back from Columbus, it was getting near sundown and I thought I should switch to my Transitions.I put on my regular transtions and immediately noticed the haziness that the Drivewear had blocked. I put my Drivewear back on until it was pitch dark.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 10-22-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Mrmessi;366865]Some people swear by it and i believe they are over hyped.QUOTE]

I'm one of those people who believe you should experience something before you can make a qualified opinion. I wouldn't wear my non-polorized suns while driving in snow or bright sun. What? I want squint wrinkles?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We sell 100% of our sunglasses as polarized. It's the only thing we wear and it's the only thing we'll sell.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I wear polarized sun glasses and recommend them to my patients. I has only hear positive comments from them. The sun light here is very intense since we are in Panama, Centra America and i wear them while driving specially on weekend that we go out of the city. For me they are more comfortable than regular dark tinted lenses. The color is wear is gray. We also sell a lot of polarized clipon.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    A quick note on the Polarised LCD screens:
    If the customer has trouble reading his/her GPS and doens't want to miss his glasses:
    Get them to buy a protection foil on the screen. In most cases it cancels out the Pola in the LCD.

I can remember a guy who bought polarised spex and came back after half an hour. He drove a brand new car with an all digital dashboard and couldn't read anything ^_^ The entire display went black. I belive it was eighter an expensive Lexus or Alpha Romeo.
    We had to replace his polarised sunglasses for regular sunglasses.
    In the end we all had a good laugh out of it. Including the customer. He was like: I can eighter get new glasses or a new car ^_^

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had been told that the automakers had changed the polarization angle in their LCD instrument panels to solve this. I've sold polarized to Lexus ans Mercedes owners and have had no complaints.
    And polarization is not all hype, it's the best protection you can get.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    polarized is like everything else optical, its an individual preference. I love polarized for out on the lake fishing, they make me want to throw up when im driving. I mean ive been at this 15 plus years and the one thing i have learned, nothing nothing nothing we make, sell, or do as an optician , is THE BEST ! for every single patient. Its all individual prefrences ;)

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ever since I got my first pair of polarized lenses over 10 years ago, I've only ever ordered polarized since then, with one exception. A couple years ago, I had a frame filled with a gradient brown tint, to use specifically on overcast days. Usually I get grey, because I like a good, dark sunglass lens. But there are days when that is too dark. Anyway, I really can't stand this tinted lens!! The glare out my windshield is awful, and I haven't worn those sunglasses in months. One of these days, I'll just exchange those lenses for a brown polarized, instead. I feel like I've learned my lesson.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I drive east during sunrise and west in the afternoon. Polarized makes a huge difference. I don't squint anymore. I do have some trouble with the digital displays in my car, but I'd rather see oncoming cars than displays.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I agree, polarised is not a novelty.
    I wouldn't want to wear unpolarised sunglasses ever again.
    However I do understand that, in some circumsteances, polaroid can be really annoying.
    Take motor helmets for example, with the visor down the tension in the plastic may give you the impression you've been smoking some pretty strong stuff.
    And don't forget camera and cellphone displays going black.

But still, I personaly think that's a small price to pay for the comfort you get in return.

And indeed more and more manufacturers adapt their displays for "pola users".
    Most new GPS's have touch screens so they break the effect of the LCD polarisation.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I agree, polarised is not a novelty.
    I wouldn't want to wear unpolarised sunglasses ever again.
    However I do understand that, in some circumsteances, polaroid can be really annoying.
    Take motor helmets for example, with the visor down the tension in the plastic may give you the impression you've been smoking some pretty strong stuff.
    And don't forget camera and cellphone displays going black.

But still, I personaly think that's a small price to pay for the comfort you get in return.

And indeed more and more manufacturers adapt their displays for "pola users".
    Most new GPS's have touch screens so they break the effect of the LCD polarisation.

Thread Information