Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with this rep?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Redhot Jumper How to deal with this rep?

OK so we have been trying to get ahold of our Ray Ban rep. Left messages over past 2 months and not 1 single call back! Were down to 10 pieces and need to get up to 50 (yes i will be speaking to the dr. about removing them).

So i called my rep Mark Nickson (sorry if im not supposed to give names) AGAIN! AND no answer. then they gave me the Disctrict managers # Connie Martin (sorry again) and of course NO ANSWER AND now theyre telling me theres no one else i can call to complain about the SERVICE AND NO RETURN CALLS.

so does someone in fact have a # for someone higher up in the food chain?

:angry::angry::angry:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So, explain why you need them, since they don't need you.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We were told by luxottica that they aren't sending out reps anymore and if we want their product to order on line. Buh Bye Lux.
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is it with the Luxottica reps? We have the same trouble. At least you got a response. We have two of them. It's hit or miss if they show up for appointments or show up on time for them when they do bother to show up. Most of our locations want to drop or severely reduce the Lux stock we have but the decision isn't left to the individual dispensaries - Pity.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You all are getting what you deserve!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Only 10 left? That should be quite easy to sell through while you replace the line with some brand with a company that actually supports it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You all are getting what you deserve!

mmmm....pie ;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper No problem they can get them now...........................................

Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post

mmmm....pie ;)
    No problem they can get them now at Costco for less.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    No problem they can get them now at Costco for less.
    eeeeewwww....I think I just threw up a little...lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think its been since the late '90's that the warnings about Luxottica started going out... people predicted this would happen years ago. Luxottica was made by the independant practictioner... then they forgot that. Why does any of us still offer their frames? Ray-ban is the only line they actually improved so I understand the sympathy there... and there is no one else that has the selection of metal wraps they do. But when there service falls below that of Oakley you know deeper problems lurk.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not at all suprised. With Luxottica being the "BIG" frame supplier to ALL most all the local chain stores, they really don't need private practice business. They can make all the $$$$ they need to, and not even walk in the doors of private practice. A few months ago, I was called by one of thier reps, I did consider having them bring the line in. Then I thought about where in my area the consumers can go and buy Ray Ban for 1/2 or less the cost I can sell it for. I want my boards to be filled with quality product from companies that will work with me and also will not be over populated in the chain stores. Good Luck!! FYI in case your not aware of this, Luxottica in the near future, will have the rights to the "COACH" brand... scary!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    We were told by luxottica that they aren't sending out reps anymore and if we want their product to order on line.
    Why not, that's where most of your customers are buying them.

Your job is finished (ECPs in general). It was your job to act as a show room, and educate the consumer. They are now educated, and Lux now has a distribution channel that does not include you.

Congratulation minions!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Why not, that's where most of your customers are buying them.

Your job is finished (ECPs in general). It was your job to act as a show room, and educate the consumer. They are now educated, and Lux now has a distribution channel that does not include you.

Congratulation minions!
    You need Ray Ban - one of the only quality "American Made" frames in its day, it has a mistique and folklore attached. In the day when these frames were made in America, the quality was superb. You can still buy the "old originals" and I'd suggest you switch to this tactic - instead of buying the Luxottica knock offs.

Have a look at http://silverliningopticians.com/ make contact, and see if they can give you supply, or recommend a supplier for the originals. Otherwise, buy comparables - like Anne et Valentin, or Claire Goldsmith www.anneetvalentin.com; or http://www.clairegoldsmith.com/ or the original Goldsmith - OLIVER.

Personally, I like my clients to stock things that the eyewear giants can't get. www.kirkoriginals.com is another quality maker - or www.dilem.fr

Find a replacement and quit chasing the dragon!

Good luck

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    You need Ray Ban - one of the only quality "American Made" frames in its day, it has a mistique and folklore attached. In the day when these frames were made in America, the quality was superb. You can still buy the "old originals" and I'd suggest you switch to this tactic - instead of buying the Luxottica knock offs.

Have a look at http://silverliningopticians.com/ make contact, and see if they can give you supply, or recommend a supplier for the originals. Otherwise, buy comparables - like Anne et Valentin, or Claire Goldsmith www.anneetvalentin.com; or http://www.clairegoldsmith.com/ or the original Goldsmith - OLIVER.

Personally, I like my clients to stock things that the eyewear giants can't get. www.kirkoriginals.com is another quality maker - or www.dilem.fr

Find a replacement and quit chasing the dragon!

Good luck

Yeah, you've got to love those American made RayBan wraps! (No such thing.)

A "niche market" is a niche market for a reason.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Yeah, you've got to love those American made RayBan wraps! (No such thing.)

A "niche market" is a niche market for a reason.
    Eplain what a "niche market" in optics is ... you've peaked my curiosity.

And FYI - Ray Ban was originally made in the USA - you're probably WAY too young to remember, because I'm almost too young to remember and I'm ancient according to the grandkids.

:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    Eplain what a "niche market" in optics is ... you've peaked my curiosity.
    Have a look at http://silverliningopticians.com/ ? I've been there. I was there for about 10 minutes, saw about 15 other people come and go, and none of us bought anything.Yes, they sell products that are hard to find, but by the same token, are not sought after except by a small (extremely small) segment of the market. Yes, they command a high dollar, but I'm sure they are not more than a handful of their Carrera suns @ $995 a piece. That is a niche. Plus, they are located in NY city, where you have the luxury of having access to a pretty good chunk of population.

And FYI - Ray Ban was originally made in the USA - you're probably WAY too young to remember, because I'm almost too young to remember and I'm ancient according to the grandkids.

Most of us know (and many of us were around to remember that) RayBan was once made in the US. The only slight problem is that the styles that were made in the US are far from what is being asked for today. (wraps,blades, three pc mounts) When your 30 something shopper comes in looking for RayBan, having a deep stock of Clubmasters usually won't be enough to make the sale...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper one of the only quality "American Made" frames in its day............................

Ray-Ban is a manufacturer of sunglasses, founded in 1937 by Bausch & Lomb.[1] They were introduced for the United States Army Air Corps.[2] In 1999, Bausch & Lomb sold the brand to the Italian Luxottica Group for a reported $640 million.[3]
    Ray-Bans were created in 1937. Some years earlier, Lieutenant John MacCready returned from a balloon flying adventure and complained that the sun had permanently damaged his eyes. He contacted Bausch & Lomb asking them to create sunglasses that would provide protection and also look elegant. On May 7, 1937,

Bausch & Lomb took out the patent.[4] The prototype, known as Anti-Glare, had an extremely light frame weighing 150 grams. They were made of gold-plated metal with green lenses made of mineral glass to filter out infrared and ultraviolet rays. Pilots in the United States Army Air Corps immediately adopted the sunglasses.[4] The Ray-Ban Aviator became a well-known style of sunglasses when General Douglas MacArthur landed on the beach in the Philippines in World War II, and photographers snapped several pictures of him wearing them.[4]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rhyser Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Ray-Ban is a manufacturer of sunglasses, founded in 1937 by Bausch & Lomb.[1] They were introduced for the United States Army Air Corps.[2] In 1999, Bausch & Lomb sold the brand to the Italian Luxottica Group for a reported $640 million.[3]
    Ray-Bans were created in 1937. Some years earlier, Lieutenant John MacCready returned from a balloon flying adventure and complained that the sun had permanently damaged his eyes. He contacted Bausch & Lomb asking them to create sunglasses that would provide protection and also look elegant. On May 7, 1937,

Bausch & Lomb took out the patent.[4] The prototype, known as Anti-Glare, had an extremely light frame weighing 150 grams. They were made of gold-plated metal with green lenses made of mineral glass to filter out infrared and ultraviolet rays. Pilots in the United States Army Air Corps immediately adopted the sunglasses.[4] The Ray-Ban Aviator became a well-known style of sunglasses when General Douglas MacArthur landed on the beach in the Philippines in World War II, and photographers snapped several pictures of him wearing them.[4]
    So cool.:cheers: it seems though, that Luxottica has had their hands on the brand FOREVER, who knew it was just over a decade ago - thanks Chris

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Gee, Johns, How's it feel to be young again?:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=DragonLensmanWV;367130]Gee, Johns, How's it feel to be young again?:bbg:[/QUOT

Ahhh yes! Those were the days!:bbg:

Now... it's off to the Craft room to make some toilet paper covers out of yarn, pipe cleaners, and whatever else the Activities Director brings with her today!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Watch out for those sharp ends of the pipe cleaners. Don't want to stress your immune system with an infection!:finger:

DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have to say, our Ray Ban rep is FANTASTIC! We see him or hear from him at least once per week. He is very on the ball & bends over backwards for us. lovely bloke who will treat us like real people too! (not just an account!) *Applause for Rick in Melbourne*
    Its ok!.....I work at an independant!....and no, thats NOT on sale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fezz View Post
    you all are getting what you deserve!

+ many!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    I have to say, our Ray Ban rep is FANTASTIC! ,,,, *Applause for Rick in Melbourne*
    Australian reps will always be better than the yankee versions, but not as good as the Kiwi versions!

Thread Information