Thread: Dyslexia again.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Dyslexia again.

My youngest son has dyslexia among other neurological problems so i spend some time looking for information on internet. I has found this link http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/mag35.html
    that has interesting information and also this page has the way to change the color of screen background.

In my case i am not comfortable with white background on computer and found that the color that is on the "O" of the word "COLOR is the best among the different color they offer. This reminds me that the old background on this forum had a similar color with which i felt comfortable too.
    As an Optometrist (old one) we has patients that ask every kind of quetions directly related or not to our profession. Now, i know thing i did not know about Web page designs and dyslexia. I am not a web page designer but any information about anything that is related to my patients is interesting for me.. I am sure that if a page is easier for a patient suffering dyslexia, it should be easier for normal people.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ian Jordan from Ayr Scotland has written books on light and Dyslexia. As an optician in the UK he has found himself in legal jeopardy and I've just noticed his web site is down and shop closed. I know he is fighting this so we may hear from him as he does post here but has many skeptics as his work with very specific tints is controversial to say the least.

I found his book "A Professionals Guide to Prescribing Tints and Filters" an interesting, informative read.

Here are some books by him on Dyslexia and light:

https://www.google.com/search?client...k+%2B+Dyslexia

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a thread from 15 years ago where you can see why he is controversial:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ordan+Dyslexia

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I had no idea that is what happened to Ian. I know he used to post on her a while ago. It's amazing how time flies. Hard to believe I was reading his posts 12 years ago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never knew there was a therapeutic tint for dyslexia... (Allegedly, I guess since the theory is controversial.)

Off topic, but has anyone ever seen those little red sunglasses that can be clipped on to the beaks of chickens? Apparently it makes it harder for them to see blood and less likely to attack each other? I think we need these for people.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post

Off topic, but has anyone ever seen those little red sunglasses that can be clipped on to the beaks of chickens? Apparently it makes it harder for them to see blood and less likely to attack each other? I think we need these for people.
    Yup, totally. Just had someone scream at me because we are by appointment only. (a change from pre-covid times). The patient I was with (who had an appointment) was shocked at how horrible the lady screaming at me was. All I could think was that's nothing! People suck sometimes.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just a Quick question the tints that are prescribed for Dyslexia are they made using normal everyday dyes (I know BPI do therapeutic tints)
    The bespoke colors I assume they use conventional dyes?
    Thanks!
    Alan

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good for you mervinek!! Going appointment-only for us was a godsend! We are in control of our practice again!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyeyes View Post
    Good for you mervinek!! Going appointment-only for us was a godsend! We are in control of our practice again!
    Mostly the same here but I will take a walk-in and at some point explain the preferred change and that as a walk-in they risk having to wait longer as I "prioritize" those with an appointments.

Working well.

Thread Information