Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision Architects

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't even GET me started...

Kicker?? I was immediate past-President of the Opticians Council of Canada when this 'popped up' and had zip for input...

Yeah, I have issues...Citalopram helps...

;-}
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every field has it's share of idiots. Spinning has hit Opticianry. Next life.... dog trainer!

THIS HAD BETTER NOT BE CONTAGIOUS!!
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:22 AM.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This campaign is unbelievably stupid.

Whose idea was this!!!!!!!!!!
    The COO asking a marketing company to rebrand opticianry without first determining a proper strategy is like a customer ordering glasses without first obtaining a refraction!!!

This boils my blood!!!! Read the comments on the article. A lot of it is sadly true.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In defense of the Canadian national campaign:

For a first campaign, linked with a new website for consumer information, posters, etc. I believe it was at least a start. The posts in comments of the national media story are not all negative, in fact a lot of the negative ones are not liked by readers, are digs, are funny, and not are not even aimed at opticians. I believe that this first campaign was at least a little more memorable than the stern, condescending "Your eyes deserve an optometrist", or the current orange peeled "an optometrist knows your eyes...inside and out" Not a word of national media coverage was generated/noticed about those. Or did I miss it?

The campaign was not about renaming opticians, but defining, in a memorable way, that there is skill out there, and how to recognize it. Rebranding is not renaming. Landlord, take the time to reread the comments and the thumbs up and down counts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh where do i begin. This is wrong on so many levels. The problem with this campaign is 2 fold. Number one, the campaign doesn't meet its objective. And two, the objective is wrong to begin with. So essentially, this campaign is a complete waste of money and may even cause more damage than good.
    When you run ads that say "ask for a licensed optician", does the consumer walk like a zombie into an optical store and say "me want optician"? No.

What actually happens is the consumer gets the whole story by reading the media and they find out that opticians are competing with optometrists and the internet. Well let's see who wins that battle. Who's the most educated? Optometrists. Who's the cheapest? The internet. So where do opticians fit in and why are they running ads? They must be losing business because everyone is buying online so I might as well buy online too. It says so right in the CBC article that people are now buying online. Hey sorry about your luck optician or vision architect or whatever you call yourself but now that I know you're losing the turf war, I'm not going to be the one to help you pay for the ads and increase your business. Sorry.

Furthermore, the tv ad sucks!!!!!!!!!!

After 20 years Blockbuster tried to stop the online bleeding by running commercials saying "NO MORE LATE FEES". Where did that get them? They are now bankrupt.

But the Opticians Council of Canada will have more success than that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Some kingpins claim that the Licensed Optician marketing research proves that opticians should be rebranded as Licensed Opticians. However in most of Canada the Regulatory Colleges refer to us as "Registered Opticians". When one person is asked if they will be issuing new badges and certificates to reflect the change from Registered to "Licensed" they answered that won't be happening and is not necessary . Now how can you justify telling Canadians to see a Licensed Optician or Vision Architect when the customer walks into a store and can't find one ? All they can find is a "Registered Optician"

Now isn't that just the height of confusing stupidity !!

Bull**** Baffles Brains !

It seems that the actions do not agree with the "spin" , therefore the whole thing is a comical farce !

Branding is a good idea , no doubt about it , but the triple B people should not be in charge .
    Amen
    Shwing

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Oh where do i begin. This is wrong on so many levels. The problem with this campaign is 2 fold. Number one, the campaign doesn't meet its objective. And two, the objective is wrong to begin with. Care to expand on this? So essentially, this campaign is a complete waste of money and may even cause more damage than good. Even a negative campaign generates.
    When you run ads that say "ask for a licensed optician", does the consumer walk like a zombie into an optical store and say "me want optician"? No. No.."me want licenced optician" This would only scare you if you are trying to run with unlicenced sales people or only have 1 licence covering a 7 day week 12 hr. operation!

What actually happens is the consumer gets the whole story by reading the media and they find out that opticians are competing with optometrists and the internet. One media story does not create a whole story. Well let's see who wins that battle. Who's the most educated? Optometrists. Who's the cheapest? The internet. Not all interneutters are cheap! So where do opticians fit in and why are they running ads? Awareness that they exist, and have skills. They must be losing business because everyone is buying online so I might as well buy online too. It says so right in the CBC article that people are now buying online. Hey sorry about your luck optician or vision architect or whatever you call yourself but now that I know you're losing the turf war, I'm not going to be the one to help you pay for the ads and increase your business. Sorry.

Furthermore, the tv ad sucks!!!!!!!!!! Many do! After 20 years Blockbuster tried to stop the online bleeding by running commercials saying "NO MORE LATE FEES". Where did that get them? They are now bankrupt.Video rentals died in the 80's

But the Opticians Council of Canada will have more success than that. I wish them success, too
    Pessimism and defeatism are sometimes curable.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

"We're calling ourselves 'vision architects," explained Schmidt, a former chair of the OCC and co-ordinator of the optician program at Georgian College in Barrie, Ont. "We're the ones that will design the eyewear, design the lens that is going to go into the frame."

It's easy to understand why consumers are confused about who plays what role in the vision-care business. Sunglasses and reading glasses can be purchased at gas station; contact lenses ordered over the internet. And according to Schmidt, a growing number of unlicensed and unqualified individuals are selling prescription glasses outside the regulated field of opticians and optometrists.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...#ixzz12yWUesEX

COASTAL CONTACTS INC NAMED AS ONE OF THE TOP 25 EXPORTERS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA

Vancouver, BC – October 5, 2010 - Coastal Contacts Inc., the world’s largest online retailer of contact lenses and eyeglasses, was named by the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and the Ministry of Small Business, Technology and Economic Development to receive a BC Export Award as one of the top 25 exporters in British Columbia in 2010.

Coastal Contacts Inc, exports contact lenses and eyeglasses to more than 150 countries around the world. Currently in their tenth year of business, Coastal Contacts has become the largest online retailer in Canada with fiscal 2009 revenues of $140 million.
    "We are honored to be named among the top exporters in the province, and we will continue to expand our reach globally, extending the positive impact it has on the economy in British Columbia." states Founder and CEO Roger Hardy.

Coastal Contacts Inc employs more than 230 employees in their Vancouver based head office, supporting all business functions internally. In the past two years the Company has built a world class eyeglasses manufacturing facility in Vancouver, creating more than 80 new full time positions.

The BC Export Awards are co-hosted annually by Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and the Ministry of Small Business, Technology and Economic development.

About Coastal Contacts:
    Coastal Contacts Inc. is the world’s leading direct-to-consumer vision products company which designs, produces and distributes a diversified offering of contact lenses and eyeglasses. The Company’s unique combination of branded and private label products represent quality, value and above all, service. Coastal sells into more than 150 countries through proprietary web properties which reflect the culture and consumer preference of the target market. As new markets for eyeglasses and contact lenses evolve, the Company is positioned to become the vision product consumer’s retailer of choice owing to its compelling value proposition combining value and service. A leader in many of its markets, Coastal is rapidly advancing toward its goal of becoming the "World’s Optical Store".

For Further Information: Jennifer Harvey
    Communications Manager
    Coastal Contacts Inc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticians exist and they have skills? Is THAT the objective? Good luck. Have you ever seen a commercial before that said "this product exists and has benefits?" What benefits? What skills? And why should anyone care? How does this help anyone but opticians? Because opticians are better than optometrists? Who's going to believe that? Listen, this campaign is a complete waste of money that opticians will never see a return on. The only people this helps are the "marketing sales executives" that designed it.

I want opticians to thrive too but this takes the cake.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticians exist and they have skills? Is THAT the objective? Just part of the whole campaign! Good luck. Have you ever seen a commercial before that said "this product exists and has benefits?" Many!!!!! What benefits? What skills? And why should anyone care? The consumer might just be able to differentiate between choices in the marketplace. How does this help anyone but opticians? Other than the consumer, it is to help licensed opticians! Because opticians are better than optometrists? At fitting eyewear, yes! Who's going to believe that?The consumer, when it is experienced. Listen, this campaign is a complete waste of money that opticians will never see a return on. The only people this helps are the "marketing sales executives" that designed it.

I want opticians to thrive too but this takes the cake.

I like cake!!!!:D

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a wild guess.

Those supporting this ad campaign makes me think our boy Fazal K is involved in this. Am I close? Maybe Machol should add a "Khan Family Discussion Forum" to the Optiboard.

There's a lot of Khanning going on at Optiboard.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a wild guess.

Those supporting this ad campaign makes me think our boy Fazal K is involved in this. Am I close? Maybe Machol should add a "Khan Family Discussion Forum" to the Optiboard.

There's a lot of Khanning going on at Optiboard.
    I am not sure what you are implying with this post, Landlord, or whether you are suffering from the usual Toronto delusions of Canada....ya know....liberalism, gun control, etc. You need to get out of the city. Optical Life in Canada does not revolve around Ontario.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good advice is important. It affects everything you do.

I am very smart. I want you to seek my advice. My advice is excellent and it can make a difference. People used to line up for my advice. But lately they have been seeking advice from others and I am losing out.

Ask for my advice.

(This message brought to you by the Landlord's Advice Association)

Does the above remind you of anything? It's like a dog chasing it's tail don't you think?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good dog chasing tail advice is important. It affects every tail you chase thing you do.

I am very smart tail chaser. I want you to seek my tail chasing advice. My advice is excellent and it can make a difference, and you might catch yours. People used to line up for my chasing tail advice. But lately they have been seeking advice from others and are unable to catch theirs, and I am losing out.

Ask for my dog chasing tail advice.

(This message brought to you by the Landlord's Dog Chasing Tail Advice Association)

Does the above remind you of anything? It's like a dog chasing it's tail don't you think?
    Spin it any way you want, lawyer, plumber, accountant, dogs chasing tail.........

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Spin it any way you want, lawyer, plumber, accountant, dogs chasing tail.........
    you're missing the most important detail.

Dogs never catch their tails no matter whose advice they seek.
    Last edited by LandLord; 10-01-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I am not sure what you are implying with this post, Landlord, or whether you are suffering from the usual Toronto delusions of Canada....ya know....liberalism, gun control, etc. You need to get out of the city. Optical Life in Canada does not revolve around Ontario.
    I beg to differ with you , it must revolve around Ontario because we are paying for it for the rest of Canada . Hmmm, wait a minute does that really mean optical life revolves around the west because they figured a way to get Ontario to pay for it ? Hmmm, ah'm getting a headache ... let's try thinking this through again . Now we paid this much money , and they didn't pay that much money and we just gave them more and ..... yeah lets go back to the first premise .. BBB

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you're missing the most important detail.

Dogs never catch their tails no matter whose advice they seek.

This ad campaign will never work because the strategy is flawed.

yup...
    Shwing

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The strategy is not flawed, in fact it is extremely well thought out and well executed.

The problem is that you guys do not realize what the strategy is . You think it is what you see on the surface. What you see on the surface is minor and deceptive in nature. You are not seeing how the dots connect to a larger result . You may be good opticians, but you are blind opticians.

Open your pocket books wide, you are about to experience a VISION right there.

A well laid out plan , executed according to plan .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-04-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Thread Information