Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: When does a RX expire????????

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the doc is a doc, he can prescribe anything he wants. If he says use it, he is in effect re-newing the old Rx whether he was the origional author of same or not. Of course, then if there's a problem, it's his problem. But then we fill "no change" Rx's every day.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed. As far as no Dr OK, in my state, we can duplicate Rx

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In NY, there is no provision in the law for writing expiration dates on spectacle Rx's. And I don't know of anybody who writes them because we know better. What I do if somebody asks for a copy of an old Rx is, of course, write the old Rx date on the prescription, and gently remind the patient of how old it is. I might do this if the Rx is one to two years old. If it's a really old Rx, or I think this particular patient is likely to need a change because of a medical condition or past history, or the remaker or the patient is likely to get burned, or if I think I will get blamed for writing a wrong Rx, I write in the instructions, "exam recommended before filling this Rx".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    B what we were talking about was using an expired rx not neutralizing a persons specs to duplicate them. If the rx says expired I don't care what you do you can't use it. Now if you say you neutralized the persons glasses then yes that is allowed under NY law. But what if there is a case where you notice that said rx has expired and you ask doc to ok it even though it was not the original doc do you use it or not?
    Expired or not, if there is an emergency, and someone *needs* to see right noow, I'll prepare eyewear as close as I can from stock, and advise of the wisdom to get an eyeexam as soon as they can.

Medical...not optical.

Sue me.

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    In NY, there is no provision in the law for writing expiration dates on spectacle Rx's. And I don't know of anybody who writes them because we know better. What I do if somebody asks for a copy of an old Rx is, of course, write the old Rx date on the prescription, and gently remind the patient of how old it is. I might do this if the Rx is one to two years old. If it's a really old Rx, or I think this particular patient is likely to need a change because of a medical condition or past history, or the remaker or the patient is likely to get burned, or if I think I will get blamed for writing a wrong Rx, I write in the instructions, "exam recommended before filling this Rx".

You are kidding right? You have not seen expiration dates written on a glass rx? I have seen it hundreds of times and mostly from OD's. And when is it prudent to except an expired rx and one that a doc gives a cursory ok but never examined the patient? REALLY! I can't believe any of you would go along with that, but then again "the root of all evil is the love of money" so maybe that's where we differ! :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are kidding right? You have not seen expiration dates written on a glass rx? I have seen it hundreds of times and mostly from OD's. And when is it prudent to except an expired rx and one that a doc gives a cursory ok but never examined the patient? REALLY! I can't believe any of you would go along with that, but then again "the root of all evil is the love of money" so maybe that's where we differ! :hammer:
    I don't follow what you are trying to get at. Are you in NY? Who writes Rxs without examining the patient? Are you saying that an optician's financial incentive to make a sale supercedes what might be best for a patient?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    fjpod: As recent events show, Doctors will give written statements of illness without ever seeing the patient. You can turn them into your employer (especially if it's the taxpayer) and get paid for the illness time off. What keeps making you guys think education or license has anything at all to do with interity?
    At present of the 50 or so OMD's in town, I can only think of one who will absolutely send a patient back to the optician that referred the patient. At least without trying to manuver the patient into his optical shop or sell/fit contact lenses himself. There is no honor left in the eye business at any level.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't follow what you are trying to get at. Are you in NY? Who writes Rxs without examining the patient? Are you saying that an optician's financial incentive to make a sale supercedes what might be best for a patient?

If you had read all the posts leading up to this you would have known what we were discussing. Re- read posts 96 and 100.
    Last edited by eye2; 02-26-2011 at 11:26 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ya there is no written law but I have seen it dozens of times where a scrip is written mostly by OD's that down in the right hand corner it says expires on such and such date. So I ask the question again do you ignore like Barry and just use it or do you recommend eye exam and if they walk they walk? As I asked Barry before he basically said I just fill it. How do fill an expired rx with documentation? I saw an incident where an expired rx was used the optician went and asked the presiding OD if it was alright to use she said yes but she was not the initial OD and it's my understanding that an OD can't give an ok without seeing patient even for rudimentary exam which was not done! So how do you explain that? And that is what I was asking before. So what's your opinion?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    British Columbia has completely deregulated the dispensing of glasses and CLs. This was done to accommodate internet vendors. I think it's a shame that decades of work done by opticians in BC to set a standard for fitting and dispensing eye wear, and regulate their profession has been undone. With the new regulations, neither glasses or CL Rx's ever expire. Customers so inclined can simply continue ordering their glasses online indefinately.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Ya there is no written law but I have seen it dozens of times where a scrip is written mostly by OD's that down in the right hand corner it says expires on such and such date. So I ask the question again do you ignore like Barry and just use it or do you recommend eye exam and if they walk they walk? As I asked Barry before he basically said I just fill it. How do fill an expired rx with documentation? I saw an incident where an expired rx was used the optician went and asked the presiding OD if it was alright to use she said yes but she was not the initial OD and it's my understanding that an OD can't give an ok without seeing patient even for rudimentary exam which was not done! So how do you explain that? And that is what I was asking before. So what's your opinion?
    Look, I don't have an answer for everything. Basically, an expiration on a spectacle Rx could mean one or two things. The prescriber is being obstructionist or b), he/she is trying to warn you that there is good reason to question the efficacy of this Rx, which translates into "Don't blame me if you have to eat glass. I warned you to get an exam first".

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look, I don't have an answer for everything. Basically, an expiration on a spectacle Rx could mean one or two things. The prescriber is being obstructionist or b), he/she is trying to warn you that there is good reason to question the efficacy of this Rx, which translates into "Don't blame me if you have to eat glass. I warned you to get an exam first".

FJpod what I was asking and jediron1 figured it out was can OD just give a verbal ok without being the initial examiner and with out even giving a cursory look? And on your other question that you said I have never seen an expired date, I work in and around western NY from buffalo to Syracuse and I can say for a fact that I have seen at least 100 rx's almost all from OD's that have an expiration date. The question was also raised but
    you didn't answer what if a dispenser took in an rx that read expired do you use it like Barry or do you recommend exam and if they say no they walk. What would you do?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what if a dispenser took in an rx that read expired do you use it like Barry or do you recommend exam and if they say no they walk:
    Well, in Canada, the recommendation is every TEN years for an exam if you are under 40, and "asymptomatic"

So maybe this every-year-thing is a US/cultural phenomenon, or maybe...just maybe...its a veiled manipulation to control these clients.

Again, the current Rx paradigm is insufficient.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    So maybe this year-thing is a US/cultural phenomenon, or maybe...just maybe...its a veiled manipulation to control these clients.

Again, the current Rx paradigm is insufficient.

B
    This IS the reason. I've seen dozens upon dozens of different Dr's Rx's. Every single OD's Rx always has a 12 month expiration written on it no matter what the patients age or medical condition. Conversely, I've yet to see an OMD Rx with one.

Additionally, most of these patients I see that went to an OD were not given their Rx AND they (the patient) has to either go by to get a copy or they have to fax a signed release to have it faxed to us. I've never had an MD that made a patient send them a release.

The funny thing is, is that when an office uses such practices it often backfires. The patient gets frustrated with that office and it's easy for me to refer them elsewhere next time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Expired or not, if there is an emergency, and someone *needs* to see right noow, I'll prepare eyewear as close as I can from stock, and advise of the wisdom to get an eyeexam as soon as they can.

Medical...not optical.

Sue me.

B
    I visited a few MD and OD sites and the feeling was that if it says expired you can't use it. Now if you want to go out on a limb and use it that's your choice. Also those sites said that the prescription must be given right after the exam with all other matters such as payment should be done before the visit or before exam starts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    FJpod what I was asking and jediron1 figured it out was can OD just give a verbal ok without being the initial examiner and with out even giving a cursory look? And on your other question that you said I have never seen an expired date, I work in and around western NY from buffalo to Syracuse and I can say for a fact that I have seen at least 100 rx's almost all from OD's that have an expiration date. The question was also raised but
    you didn't answer what if a dispenser took in an rx that read expired do you use it like Barry or do you recommend exam and if they say no they walk. What would you do?
    If there are two or more ODs in a practice and a patient asks the one that did not examine him to review the record and write out a new Rx, the OD is legally able to do so.

If I got an outside Rx from a patient and it was marked expired, I would make it very clear to the patient that I could not guarantee their satisfaction, and there would be no refunds or free remakes. If it were a simple +/- 2.50 SV Rx, I would probably fill it. If it were for a -9.00, I would let the patient walk. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I don't need that risk...and neither do they. It's not all about making the sale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If there are two or more ODs in a practice and a patient asks the one that did not examine him to review the record and write out a new Rx, the OD is legally able to do so.

If I got an outside Rx from a patient and it was marked expired, I would make it very clear to the patient that I could not guarantee their satisfaction, and there would be no refunds or free remakes. If it were a simple +/- 2.50 SV Rx, I would probably fill it. If it were for a -9.00, I would let the patient walk. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I don't need that risk...and neither do they. It's not all about making the sale.
    What? That's totally contrary to Chip calling all OD's greedy.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It also insuates that he doesn't trust other OD's ability to refract.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    No...it indicates an increased likelihood of the rx being incorrect due to the passage of time...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Got nothin to do with who wrote the Rx.
    Chip, you would fill a three year old Rx for-9.00/add 2.00?? (probably with high index and AR)?? Even if the patient was not in dire straits and had two pair of glasses?? You would not recommend an examination?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An exam of course. Now if he had one broken pair, I sho would fill it, or give him some trial contacts or somethin. However it's just an antsy patient with back up glasses, who needs it?
    Now we shall get to the teenage princess with glasses who has run out of contacts and mother is keeping her out of school so no one will have to see her in glasses or have to know she wears glasses. Remember she's rich and whole family are good regular high dollar customers.....

Thread Information