Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Society for Advanced Opticianry formed

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Society for Advanced Opticianry formed

The Society for Advanced Opticianry was formed during the ABO/NCLE National Education Conference in Cincinnati, Ohio during September.

Here is a link to an article about the group's formation in Vision Monday's VMail.

http://www.visionmonday.com/ViewCont...l/Default.aspx

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a website up and running...or anyother way to get in contact? I'm looking at going back to school next year and I would love to talk about possibilities with someone.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi kelanor,

We do not have a website yet, we are currently getting our papers in order to be a legitimate organization, legal work, ect. There are lots of opportunites for you to gain formal optical education, there are schools in New England (where I am from as well!), and Internet options. We have full support of the optical organizations and leaders, and we will meet again at the OAA Leadership Conference in January.

Will report more as we ratify our bylaws, ect., and when we are ready to enroll members. Looking forward to having you among the first members on our roster!

In the meantime, let me know how I can help you find avenues for going back to school next year.

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Awesome!! Your next glass of wine is on me (not literally, I mean, I would buy you a glass of wine, not pour you poor wine on me.)

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deal.

Looking forward to seeing you in Spokane at OAW, we'll leave the pouring to the Red Lion professional staff, eh?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another ABO/OAA in sheeps clothing? Do we really need yet one more "organization" to take our money and do......oh yes, I remember - nothing? The history of past optician's groups has been dismal at best. What is it exactly that sets this one apart from all the others?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This organization was created to promote higher formal education among opticians and to recognize those that achieve higher educational and professional advancement.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    What is it exactly that sets this one apart from all the others?
    Good question.

This organization requires more than a check to be a member. We seek membership with higher education and higher certification and we promote and facilitate the same. That is the route to professionalism, universal recognition, and yes, more pay. This is not a "status quo" organization.
    We don't claim to be able to solve all the ills of American Opticianry; its up to opticians to do that, but we will do our best to help. Your input is valuable. Please, let's keep this a civil discussion.
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I personally love the idea and really look forward to being involved in the coming months/years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There goes another $300/year on top of education. I hope to all hell that employers don't start requiring something like this. Two useless organizations are enough.

Professional opticianry organizations already exist in other countries - why not try to work with them to create a globally recognized group? We have a global economy, global politics, and global recognition; why do we have to separate ourselves once again?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    There goes another $300/year on top of education. I hope to all hell that employers don't start requiring something like this. Two useless organizations are enough.

Professional opticianry organizations already exist in other countries - why not try to work with them to create a globally recognized group? We have a global economy, global politics, and global recognition; why do we have to separate ourselves once again?
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what it is that you hope employers don't start requiring. Higher education? Many already do, and they're better for it. Higher certification? Again, the best already do. This will be THE most Professional opticianry organization in America, as it draws its membership from the most highly certified, educated, and committed opticians in the country.
    As far as working with global groups, I think perhaps we should just stick to our own country before looking that big. American opticianry is horribly fragmented, with some states having stringent requirements and others having none. That needs to be addressed before we start looking outside our borders.
    Higher certification and higher education equal more respect, more recognition and more pay. So does licensure.
    Opticians in unlicensed states will never see licensure as a healthcare professional as long as they shirk formal education and higher levels of certification. If the only thing we can say to our legislators when we ask for licensure, is "I passed an easy 125 multiple-guess test" (after how many tries?) they will laugh us out of the building. Do you want better for yourself and your "profession", or are you happy with the status quo? If it's the latter, please bow out of the conversation politely. If you want more, stick around and help.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand what it is that you hope employers don't start requiring. Higher education? Many already do, and they're better for it. Higher certification? Again, the best already do. This will be THE most Professional opticianry organization in America, as it draws its membership from the most highly certified, educated, and committed opticians in the country.
    As far as working with global groups, I think perhaps we should just stick to our own country before looking that big. American opticianry is horribly fragmented, with some states having stringent requirements and others having none. That needs to be addressed before we start looking outside our borders.
    Higher certification and higher education equal more respect, more recognition and more pay. So does licensure.
    Opticians in unlicensed states will never see licensure as a healthcare professional as long as they shirk formal education and higher levels of certification. If the only thing we can say to our legislators when we ask for licensure, is "I passed an easy 125 multiple-guess test" (after how many tries?) they will laugh us out of the building. Do you want better for yourself and your "profession", or are you happy with the status quo? If it's the latter, please bow out of the conversation politely. If you want more, stick around and help.

+1 Well said

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    I hope to all hell that employers don't start requiring something like this.
    Geirskogul, if you don't want higher education and advanced certifications you won't have to have them. You can continue to work in this field. Many if not most will be happy with the status quo. Just don't expect to be considered among the best of the best in our profession.

This organization won't be for everyone. It is for those that are willing to invest time, effort and yes, money, in improving their education and certifications. They will achieve higher status and respect by their peers, employers and the public.

I see you are ABO certified. Good for you. Take the next step and work toward higher certification, even if you don't have to. It will show your employer and your patients that you are committed to making yourself the best optician you can be.

One of the goals of this organization is to make access to education easier for working opticians. We realize that everyone can't take two years out of their lives to attend an opticianry program at a brick and mortar school. Please stay tuned to learn more about alternative educational opportunities as we develop them.
    Last edited by gmc; 10-15-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hi kelanor,

We do not have a website yet, we are currently getting our papers in order to be a legitimate organization, legal work, ect. There are lots of opportunites for you to gain formal optical education, there are schools in New England (where I am from as well!), and Internet options. We have full support of the optical organizations and leaders, and we will meet again at the OAA Leadership Conference in January.

Will report more as we ratify our bylaws, ect., and when we are ready to enroll members. Looking forward to having you among the first members on our roster!

In the meantime, let me know how I can help you find avenues for going back to school next year.

Laurie
    Thank you for the info Laurie...

I'm actually planning on getting my bachelor's degree though, not an Associates in Opticianry. I was just hoping to come up with a way to incorporate vision science into a major without having to go pre-optometry. I will keep in touch if I have questions!

Thanks again,
    Kelanor

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whether you agree with the group or not, I think they should be applauded for their effort. It will be interesting to see what this group comes up with to advance today's optician. We should not discourage learning, but embrace it. The state of present day opticianry is in shambles. This organization understands the sorry state we are in and has decided to step up, not aside, and do something about it. I respect many of the members of this new organization and wish them well with their endeavor.
    Last edited by Fezz; 10-17-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm very interested in this new group.
    But I think it is important to recognize that indie opticals won't survive the coming onslaught of paradigmic change without more that just highet/advanced education in optical skill sets.
    Persuading John Q that we have something of value, something to offer, something to pay for, is essential!

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Whether you agree with the group or not, I think they should be applauded for their effort. It will be interesting to see what this group comes up with to advance today's optician. We should not discourage learning, but embrace it. The state of present day opticianry is in shambles. This organization understands the sorry state we are in and has decided to step up, not aside, and do something about it. I respect many of the members of this new organization and wish them well with their endeavor.
    Well said Fezzy! I will do whatever it takes to meet the requirements and will also pay for my staff as well. I sat in a meeting a few years ago at the local opticianry school and one of the opticians said we need formal education to be treated as a professional; I and my staff already act like professionals so we get treated that way. It is up to the individual opticians to decide if they want to be the best they can be or just keep it status quo and keep complaining.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Another ABO/OAA in sheeps clothing? Do we really need yet one more "organization" to take our money and do......oh yes, I remember - nothing? The history of past optician's groups has been dismal at best. What is it exactly that sets this one apart from all the others?
    What have you done to help the industry? You do not need to join any organization and with your attitude who would want you as part of their group? Do you treat your patients like you treat the folks on this board?

I thought they were nicer in Utah? What happened to you?

Craig

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    What have you done to help the industry? You do not need to join any organization and with your attitude who would want you as part of their group? Do you treat your patients like you treat the folks on this board?

I thought they were nicer in Utah? What happened to you?

Craig
    I think Uilleann is making an honest statement and asking an honest question. He's being a bit blunt, but that's just another Utah trait (also here in Minnesota).

If this group actually does what it says I'll gladly part with the coins to support it. If not then bye-bye.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    But I think it is important to recognize that indie opticals won't survive the coming onslaught of paradigmic change without more that just highet/advanced education in optical skill sets.
    Persuading John Q that we have something of value, something to offer, something to pay for, is essential!

B
    +1,000.

If it doesn't show you the money, it's not viable.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and do not doubt when I say that the concept of a "Guild Optician" is where the gold lies.

It's a brand, you guys! You need it! Since "optician" carries no weight, "guild" is a gilded concept that is worth it's weight in...well, at least copper. :)

Do...not...doubt...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with you Doc. When I had my own practice, many MD's referred to me because of my Guild status. It was worth the OAA Firm membership dues and the Guild dues to have that unique designation. If you peruse the OAA listings for Guild Opticians, you'll find many long established firms who continue to be successful regardless of the state of the economy. Attending meetings with these business people affords access to some of the brightest and best in our profession.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I applaud the formation of this organization....I only wish that we had something like this in Canada. Most of our provincial organizations are now governed differently than when they were first formed, for the better in some cases, and our national organization has morphed into something that is a long way from what it was when I first joined. It was known as The Canadian Guild of Ophthalmic Dispensers.

Rooting around in a drawer of goodies, I recently came across a blazer patch that hadn't yet been sewn onto a blazer.

I was a patch member! LOL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Guild Optician brand is a viable concept for the trade or craft of opticianry. However, the SAO seeks to elevate opticianry from a trade or craft to a profession. If we first raise our standards and educate, much like Optometry did a century ago, we can achieve that goal.

The Guild or Prescription Opticians of America exists under the umbrella of the OAA. There is no educational requirement to be a guild optician. If you are in an unlicensed state and own or work for a guild firm, all that is required is passing the NOCE if you dispense only glasses or the CLRE if you fit contacts. If you meet those requirements and send them a check, you are a Guild Optician!

If opticianry is to be elevated to a profession, formal education must be part of the process. SAO members continue to work on what educational requirements and what certifications must be obtained for membership. We expect to formally announce standards after our next meeting in January. You will not be able to be a member of the SAO unless you meet the educational standards.

SAO membership and its professional designation will be available to individual opticians, not firms. Raising our standards and yes, effectively branding ourselves is the path to greater recognition, increased income and long term viability for opticianry.

Drk and other ODs and MDs, who would you rather have working with your patients, a craftsman or a professional?
    Last edited by gmc; 10-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I was employed by a “Guild” optician back in the sixties and I can attest to the fact that back in those days the Guild was the epitome of the optician’s craft. A firm that was a member of the Guild insured the public that the services and products were of the highest quality. Most importantly it assured the ophthalmologist that his patient was in good hands if he presented his Rx to a Guild Optician.

Membership in the Guild was restricted to Independent Opticians only with no OD’s or MD’s having any pecuniary or equity interest in the organization. The Guild checked this out and if a firm violated this condition they were removed from the rolls. Anyone falsely claiming to be members of the guild was promptly sued.

An educational program and a strict code of conduct combined with a serious dedication to improving the craft brought Opticianry to its high point in the sixties. Bear in mind that the Guild had nothing to do with state licensing/registration but was rather a voluntary effort on the part of those who loved the craft and wished to see it improve.

In the late sixties, early seventies something happened to the Guild. As the “old timers” retired and left the field, the changing marketplace (corporate money grubbing) replaced pride of workmanship along with the advent of the merchant ophthalmologist ushered in a new era, that which rules today. No longer a craft, opticianry is the retail sales function of the eyecare business - the Foot Locker of vision care.

Would you like AR with those lenses?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    The Guild Optician brand is a viable concept for the trade or craft of opticianry. However, the SAO seeks to elevate opticianry from a trade or craft to a profession. If we first raise our standards and educate, much like Optometry did a century ago, we can achieve that goal.

The Guild or Prescription Opticians of America exists under the umbrella of the OAA. There is no educational requirement to be a guild optician. If you are in an unlicensed state and own or work for a guild firm, all that is required is passing the NOCE if you dispense only glasses or the CLRE if you fit contacts. If you meet those requirements and send them a check, you are a Guild Optician!

If opticianry is to be elevated to a profession, formal education must be part of the process. SAO members continue to work on what educational requirements and what certifications must be obtained for membership. We expect to formally announce standards after our next meeting in January. You will not be able to be a member of the SAO unless you meet the educational standards.

SAO membership and its professional designation will be available to individual opticians, not firms. Raising our standards and yes, effectively branding ourselves is the path to greater recognition, increased income and long term viability for opticianry.

Drk and other ODs and MDs, who would you rather have working with your patients, a craftsman or a professional?
    The Guild designation is held by the business NOT by the indivudual Opticians. Perhaps you need to read the tenents that are on the Guild pages at the OAA website.

Thread Information