Thread: How do you attract an Optometrist to your Dispensary?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper How do you attract an Optometrist to your Dispensary?

Hello,
    I am looking for some feedback as to how one could capture the interest of an Optometrist to join our dispensary? Have any of you had success and if so how did you do it? What sort of details should I be including when I approach them? We get so many calls a day that I know we would keep them busy!!! Thanks for the input!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the forum, saskoptical!

You could try talking to one of the optometrists that are "floating" between chain corp. locations, or are newbies in some of the larger optometric corp. outfits. They are quite often willing to listen and become involved. Good luck!:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    O.K. now you get the double scotch/rocks answer:

Grab your fishing rod, and go the the Las Vegas optical convention. Take a Canadian $100.00 bill and attach it to your fishing line. Let out about 25 ft. of line and walk quickly across the convention display floor, dragging the bill behind you. Do not look back! It will scare you.

Head for the nearest Air Canada flight at the airport and sing Oh Canada real loud. Board a flight home, and after you clear customs......all those following you are clear-cut candidates. Good luck.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was going to say a nice basket of cheese, coupled with a vintage red wine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    I was going to say a nice basket of cheese, coupled with a vintage red wine.
    That would only get you a fun evening with an optician.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In all seriousness, we plucked both of ours almost right out of optometry school. You build rapport with staff and alumni, and get referrals to new, high-quality, motivated graduates. One had been working in another private practice for only a few months, and the other working in another chain for a year or so.

You not only have to offer them a better work environment, you have to actually supply one. Whether they're the owners or working for you, their job life has to be challenging, but not frustrating. Like an expensive, picky pet; a pet that can sometimes pay your bills.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by saskoptical View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for some feedback as to how one could capture the interest of an Optometrist to join our dispensary? Have any of you had success and if so how did you do it? What sort of details should I be including when I approach them? We get so many calls a day that I know we would keep them busy!!! Thanks for the input!!
    I would think with the booming economy in Saskatchewan it might be tougher than other provinces. On the other hand, there are always ODs out there looking for a box to sit in for 6-8 hours a day, then go home with no headaches. Contact the Saskatchewan association to ask about classified ads.

Like an expensive, picky pet; a pet that can sometimes pay your bills.
    Remember to change the newspaper on the floor once a week too.

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    That would only get you a fun evening with an optician.
    I thought you could pick up an optician with a bottle of warm beer and some cheesy poofs. *runs and hides from the onslaught of flames!*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    I thought you could pick up an optician with a bottle of warm beer and some cheesy poofs. *runs and hides from the onslaught of flames!*
    Oh, for opticians? I'd go for a box of Juicy Juice and some animal crackers.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have a doctors room setup with all the necessary equipment to conduct a eye exam. We don't charge the OD rent, we take care of all the appointments, it's stress fee and there's no expense for the doctor whatsoever.

She comes in four days a week set at her own schedule. What more can a OD ask for????

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    We don't charge the OD rent, we take care of all the appointments, it's stress fee and there's no expense for the doctor whatsoever.
    Paying no rent is actually professional misconduct for ODs in Ontario, and I believe all other provinces. We are required to pay "reasonable rent" for space, equipment, etc.

Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's against regulations.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You should offer the OD a percentage of optical sales + 100% exam fees and NO rent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh,,,as others have intimated, I think it would be fairly easy to attract an OD...the trick is how to keep him/her, so as to help build the business. Very few business owners (opticians and ODs) really know how to do this. Some don't even think it is important.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Oh,,,as others have intimated, I think it would be fairly easy to attract an OD...the trick is how to keep him/her, so as to help build the business. Very few business owners (opticians and ODs) really know how to do this. Some don't even think it is important.
    While this will not help you in your current search it may be of value down the road.

You should be building an organization of such quality and reputation that the prospective employees come to you. Just look at the successful businesses like Microsoft and you will see that they receive far more applications than they have openings. Their recruitment process is an ongoing part of their business model and it should be a part of yours.

Who is the most objective person to evaluate and disseminate your reputation? Your vendors.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Someone said warm beer and cheesy poofs in here.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Welcome to the forum, saskoptical!

You could try talking to one of the optometrists that are "floating" between chain corp. locations, or are newbies in some of the larger optometric corp. outfits. They are quite often willing to listen and become involved. Good luck!:D
    That is a great idea and one we have resourced around our city maybe we should step it up and go into other provinces.
    Thanks!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    O.K. now you get the double scotch/rocks answer:

Grab your fishing rod, and go the the Las Vegas optical convention. Take a Canadian $100.00 bill and attach it to your fishing line. Let out about 25 ft. of line and walk quickly across the convention display floor, dragging the bill behind you. Do not look back! It will scare you.

Head for the nearest Air Canada flight at the airport and sing Oh Canada real loud. Board a flight home, and after you clear customs......all those following you are clear-cut candidates. Good luck.
    very good! Thanks for the laugh!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In all seriousness, we plucked both of ours almost right out of optometry school. You build rapport with staff and alumni, and get referrals to new, high-quality, motivated graduates. One had been working in another private practice for only a few months, and the other working in another chain for a year or so.

You not only have to offer them a better work environment, you have to actually supply one. Whether they're the owners or working for you, their job life has to be challenging, but not frustrating. Like an expensive, picky pet; a pet that can sometimes pay your bills.
    I have approached Waterloo with some information on our company to see if they would/could even pass it along to interested potential students. I also sent off information to Portland with the same results. I did ask for the names of the students but both were reluctant to give up that information very easily. I think we have PLENTY to offer, if I were an Optometrist I would be all over it!! It's just finding the ones that would be interested in even LOOKING at the potential that I think I am finding hard to find.... Thanks for your input it was helpful!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I would think with the booming economy in Saskatchewan it might be tougher than other provinces. On the other hand, there are always ODs out there looking for a box to sit in for 6-8 hours a day, then go home with no headaches. Contact the Saskatchewan association to ask about classified ads.

That's what we could offer! NO HEADACHES!! I have contacted the Association... again not to free with the information... I was going to just cold call the dr's in the phone book!!

I prefer my beer ice cold and nachos!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    We have a doctors room setup with all the necessary equipment to conduct a eye exam. We don't charge the OD rent, we take care of all the appointments, it's stress fee and there's no expense for the doctor whatsoever.

She comes in four days a week set at her own schedule. What more can a OD ask for????
    That's pretty much exactly what we have in mind although we would even offer a possible opportunity to have shares in multiple locations

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gochi View Post
    You should offer the OD a percentage of optical sales + 100% exam fees and NO rent.

That's pretty much what we want to offer with a few more added benefits to keep them happy and content to stay for the long haul!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Oh we know how to keep a business going!! We are just wanting to expand it into a few more locations! We have an excellent reputation, loyal customers, smart staff and an eager management team!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    While this will not help you in your current search it may be of value down the road.

You should be building an organization of such quality and reputation that the prospective employees come to you. Just look at the successful businesses like Microsoft and you will see that they receive far more applications than they have openings. Their recruitment process is an ongoing part of their business model and it should be a part of yours.

Who is the most objective person to evaluate and disseminate your reputation? Your vendors.
    I couldn't agree more!! I have worked in places that didn't value the vendors!! It really did wreak havoc on the reputation of the business in so many negative ways!! Thankfully!!! We have an A+ relationship with everyone we deal with! I have even approached them on behalf of the store to see if they happen to know any OD's that may be looking for a change.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saskoptical,

It seems you are doing everything there is to do to.

I would imagine the only thing preventing you from recruiting an OD is the location. In my opinion, you might have to take a loss, initially, if you truly need an OD.

Good Luck.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Saskoptical,

I could offer an idea: post your opportunity on the online job boards around the optometric community, and see who responds...the optometry schools usually have job boards that might be free.

There is also FillinDoc.com

you can post jobs you are offering. The service is free for employers, and they are expanding into Canada.

It may help to post on the American optometry school job boards. I know lots of Canadian students go to american schools and then go back to oh Canada.

hope it helps.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper This is an old dead thread ....................................

Quote Originally Posted by fillindoc View Post

Saskoptical,

I could offer an idea: post your opportunity on.........................................

This is an old dead thread and problem most probably solved a long time ago.

Thread Information