Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Distance Education

www.nfos.org

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks CuriousCat. Many of the programs in the National Federation of Opticianry Schools are accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation, including those online. Penn Foster is NOT and would not be recognized by the licensed states that approve candidates based on education at this time. Not to say Penn Foster could not apply for that recognition, but they aren't at present. They may even have a decent program. The Commission on Opticianry Accreditation is the only organization currently recognized for accrediting opticianry programs in the USA.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just wanted to see where this thread was going before jumping in.

Although Penn Foster has been the pioneer of distance leaning even before computers, they just added the opticianry program in Jan. 2010. We are currently in the process of accredidation as well as NFOS membership. Our curiculum has been reviewed by many licensing states and approved as a "Degree Program" for enrolling students. In addition to on-line studies, students are required to exercise a 120 hr min. clinical practicum to facilitate their learning experience. Upon completion of all learning requirements, a student should have no problem taking the ABO and/ or state licensing exams. I won't put up any numbers here but the program affords a great value for someone entering the optical field as well as those who are looking to advance their level of patient care and service.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "This program requires students to enroll in a six-month (120-hour) practicum during the course of their studies. You’ll be required to find a clinical site within your local community to complete the practicum. Potential clinical sites include an optician’s office or laboratory, an optometric practice that contains an optical dispensary, an ophthalmic practice that contains an optical dispensary, a hospital that contains an eye clinic, and a retail optical business"

Good luck on that.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    ^^
    | |

Echo's that sentiment...

There are going to be plenty of 'grads' who take this course but omit the practicum and still claim education from this facility. It's going on my "blacklist".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me suggest that we no jump too quickly here. Penn Foster is a pioneer in Distance Education, and I wish them well in their endeavors. The clinical portion will be monitored, and provide some structure. It is required, I suspect, if they want to graduate. I am pleased to see our Optiboarder, PAkev has some involvement, and wish you the very best.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope it takes off!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Let me suggest that we no jump too quickly here. Penn Foster is a pioneer in Distance Education, and I wish them well in their endeavors. The clinical portion will be monitored, and provide some structure. It is required, I suspect, if they want to graduate. I am pleased to see our Optiboarder, PAkev has some involvement, and wish you the very best.

Warren
    Exactly Warren, I agree...... What's this about *claiming* graduation?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Something I've run into before...long story, but bottom line is that especially with on-line schools, it is very easy to use them on a resume, especially on the off-chance that no one is going to check each and every reference.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aw, com'on Mike. That could be with any school or claim on a resume. I think we should all colectively encourage a better educated optician. For some, on-line may be the only option.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Allright...let's examine this for a minute...student takes the course, reads a bunch of books, passes the written exam. Goes and finds a job and works the 120 hours (that's 3 weeks of full time work). Are you honestly telling me you would hire him/her? With only 3 weeks of bench time????

The old Vo-Tech system in MN used to run an opticians course down in Anoka, Mn. It was used by Walman, Soderberg, Benson Optical as a conduit for new employees. The MINIMUM time spent at the bench was an entire semester (3 months). These folks could sit at the bench, sit at the fitting stool, stand behind the generator/surfacer/edger. To me, THAT'S what an opticians course should be. This on-line stuff is absolute nonsense.

I'm generally satisfied with someones work after three weeks on one single task, not 3 weeks total on every task.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The 120 hours is a minimum. What is important it that these folks will get SOME understanding of this profession. In 27 states all that is required is a pulse to call yourself an Optician. Hiring is a different issue. No one is suggesting that these folks be hired at a particular level, but at least they will get some general knowledge, which is better than someone with 0 background.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Sure its a minimum...and you can bet that 80% or better of the so-called "graduates" will do the minimum amount of time. They are doing the business a grave dis-service.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what you are saying is the nothing they do now is better? At least is is something. It is these silly on-the-job cheap labor things that are a concern. The current pass rate is slightly over 50%. If these folks can pass, then how can they not at least have a leg up on some others.

You seem to have a real negative opinion of online education. Schools like Harvard, Stanford, UNC and many others are quite successful in these kinds of programs. Penn Foster is nowhere close to these institutions, but at least it is something. These folks do graduate and receive their diplomas, and at least have something.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yes I do, and it comes from having dealt with grads from these so-called "schools".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mike, after 35 years of running wholesale labs, OD, and MD dispensaries I can assure you, for a dispensary, I would hire someone with formal (institution) education in optical fundamentals over someone that ran surface machines for an equivalent amount of time.

Nobody is saying that OTJ isn't valuable, unfortunately, that's pretty much all my generation had. My learning curve would have been much shorter had I the chance to get a formal education in optics. For the future optician and the future of the profession I would encourage all to get the highest level of *recognized* education available to them, even if on-line is your only viable source.

Thread Information