Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What do opticians hope to achieve by having a working OD in the optical store?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Man, when are you slow opticians going to get it through your thick neanderthal skulls, it's eye WARE. Geeesh
    I still can't figure out if it goes on the right or left side of your dinnerWARE.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Man, when are you slow opticians going to get it through your thick neanderthal skulls, it's eye WARE. Geeesh
    Hmmm... why do you say that? Merriam-Webster seems to hold to the contrary...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I still can't figure out if it goes on the right or left side of your dinnerWARE.
    Leftside is outer WARE Rightside is Inner WARE. Unles your in Australia then its reversed.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gochi View Post
    I am sure a basic arrangement can be made, but it would vary for each practice. For example, each patient that undergoes an examination who is required to purchase eyeware may be given a token, stating the doctors name/patient name and prescription.
    I think the perception that would instill in the patient base would benefit neitehr party. I would personally just not hire a doctor who wanted to set up some sort of token arrangement. Have you even given any thought to the implications of what you're suggesting.

You are in the minority. Opticians can and do take advantage of ODs if they see the opportunity. It is a business.
    It's a bit different here in the US, I would say 90% of shops in teh US are doctor or retail owned so yes an optician owned practice would be in the minority.

Two days ago there was an Optician looking for an OD for her optical; the pay was 70% of exam fees. I agree that the "free" staff, space & equipment are appealing to the OD in an optical, but if the OD chooses to, he/she can get the same arrangement working with/for another OD. There has to be other incentives for the OD if he/she chooses to work in an optical, under the Optician. You don't see dentists working for dental hygienists.
    Why are you asking opticians, again the way you phrased the statement guised as a question it was meant for an optician to answer, yet you seem to be befuddled as to a reason why an OD would work for an optician. My plain and simple answer, an optician owned practice definately appreciates their OD more. I'm not really a fan of OD's but when one works in my office to my patients they are kings/queens, and I will talk them up like they were the next greatest invention next to wonder bread. Oh and BTW I have more time (at least with the lights on) with a patient then the doctor gets so I am their biggest ambasador in the shop.

Since this is a pro-optician board, I don't expect most of you to see the logic behind the arrangement mentioned in this thread, however, it is still interesting to see what types of excuses opticians can come up with.
    If you start by calling them reasons instead of excuses you'll see that more answers are on this thread then you care to see.

Perhaps I might use the same excuses when hiring an Optician, who knows.
    If you're looking to justify taking advantage of an optician you really don't need to, just do it. $h!t we're on the bottom of the food chain if you have to worry about the very bottom of the food chain your going to fail miserably in this profession. Your collegues are nipping at each other and ophthalmology, but your wisdom in going the opposite direction is to be commended. I also recommend that if you have cleaning staff that works at night to hide the mints you wouldn't want them getting more then they deserve, oh and leave a #2 in the toilet for them to make sure they really earn their money.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Leftside is outer WARE Rightside is Inner WARE. Unles your in Australia then its reversed.
    Ok, that still leaves me confused as to where the underWARE goes?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread is starting to WARE me out!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, that still leaves me confused as to where the underWARE goes?
    underWARE goes in the tupperWARE

Besides, talking about your underWARE in public is not polite. WARE are your manners?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopterman View Post
    This thread is starting to WARE me out!
    Why Aren't Replies Entertaining?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    underware goes in the tupperware

besides, talking about your underware in public is not polite. ware are your manners?
    lmao!

Occupation
    I think the perception that would instill in the patient base would benefit neitehr party. I would personally just not hire a doctor who wanted to set up some sort of token arrangement. Have you even given any thought to the implications of what you're suggesting.

It's a bit different here in the US, I would say 90% of shops in teh US are doctor or retail owned so yes an optician owned practice would be in the minority.

Why are you asking opticians, again the way you phrased the statement guised as a question it was meant for an optician to answer, yet you seem to be befuddled as to a reason why an OD would work for an optician. My plain and simple answer, an optician owned practice definately appreciates their OD more. I'm not really a fan of OD's but when one works in my office to my patients they are kings/queens, and I will talk them up like they were the next greatest invention next to wonder bread. Oh and BTW I have more time (at least with the lights on) with a patient then the doctor gets so I am their biggest ambasador in the shop.

If you start by calling them reasons instead of excuses you'll see that more answers are on this thread then you care to see.

If you're looking to justify taking advantage of an optician you really don't need to, just do it. $h!t we're on the bottom of the food chain if you have to worry about the very bottom of the food chain your going to fail miserably in this profession. Your collegues are nipping at each other and ophthalmology, but your wisdom in going the opposite direction is to be commended. I also recommend that if you have cleaning staff that works at night to hide the mints you wouldn't want them getting more then they deserve, oh and leave a #2 in the toilet for them to make sure they really earn their money.
    I don't know what you are talking about and your post is reminiscent of a 12 year old babbling on about what he did at lunch break. Perhaps you should try to answer my original question.

Don't really understand why so many posters refuse to answer the question. Can you not handle the truth!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Gochi needs a hug!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There is no reason for the doctor to work with the Optician, in his/her Optical, if there are no incentives. I am not even sure what you are talking about- you seem to be out of control in your posts, and completely refuse to answer my original question. Also, there is nothing illegal/unethical about ODs getting a % of optical sales, if the patient requires glasses/contacts etc. If it were illegal, then it would be the law, which it clearly is not as ODs can be employed by Opticians and if it were unethical, both parties, the OD and Optician would have to agree to that, which is rare since there is a little war between the two professions.
    It sounds to me like you want to be the doctor extorting money from an optician for the wondefulness of you being in HIS store.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    gochi needs to look up referral fee laws.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know what you are talking about and your post is reminiscent of a 12 year old babbling on about what he did at lunch break. Perhaps you should try to answer my original question.

Don't really understand why so many posters refuse to answer the question. Can you not handle the truth!?
    ...You seem to be under the impression that the doctor has nothing to gain from working in an optical owned by an optician, but as an example here in the states, the optical provides a space, equipment, staff support, consumables, and a patient base. You may not value these things but try starting up a new office and come back in 3 years and look at this post, you'll be embarrassed by your line of questioning. I don't think one poster here is under the impression that the relationship between the two professions is anything but amicable. Believe me when I say in most scenarios if an OD didn't have to work for an optician / optical they wouldn't but look at the alternatives. Chain stores which force their doctors to do things on the border and just beyond the realm of unethical, unrealistic hours, weekend hours, reduced fees, forced insurance plans, and meeting unspoken goals. Opticians value what we do, I have seen very few optician owned practices that treat their OD contractors with anything but respect. It is a symbiotic relationship that never works to anyone's advantage when one wants to play the parasite and leach off a host.

I don't think you can understand it since you don't work on that level in this industry, so you shouldn't question it so much rather than try to understand it.
    There is your answer... again, read the posts. You really sound like this "12-year-old" that you accuse us of being.

Occupation

When I was 12 I wathced one of my best friends get kicked in his gochi. Just thought I'd share.

PS - I have gotten in trouble more than enough times to know that name calling is not tolerated on this board, but if this is an invitation I'm game so long as you are.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 10-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You are getting a lot of answers, you apparently can't tell that.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wowsa...I've never ventured into the Canadian forum b/c I'm in the US and figured that it wouldn't apply, but there's some serious HEAT being thrown over here!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post
    Wowsa...I've never ventured into the Canadian forum b/c I'm in the US and figured that it wouldn't apply, but there's some serious HEAT being thrown over here!
    Jump in anytime, the water's calm, cold.........just watch out for the icebergs!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post
    Most of us are from the US as well. We just try to tease enough to chase us over the border, and then we throw goat chee at them. ("Chee" is the plural of "cheese" isn't it?)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's hard to run with a two-four of real beer, even harder to throw chee!

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wtf?
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you say tai chi?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    When I was 12 I wathced one of my best friends get kicked in his gochi. Just thought I'd share.
    I have a friend who accidentally hit his gochi with his eye ware. He's never been the same since.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And you'all thought Canucks were a conservative bunch, eh!!!:drop:

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Goat Cheese
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Thread Information